Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 24-10-18, 03:48 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 18,182
Alienware is "absolutely" looking into the PC components market

Would you buy a standalone Alienware component?



Read more about Alienware "absolutely" looking onto creating standalone PC components.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24-10-18, 04:13 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,145
If they were to sell their cases separately, Which I've loved the look of for years now, It may spur me into giving them more money by buying other things too.
__________________
=AMD Ryzen 9 - 3950X + PBO - XFX 5700XT Thicc III Ultra @ 2100/1800=

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24-10-18, 05:00 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 14,277
lol they already have their own motherboards made by MSI, so that would be easy.

Whatever they make it will be far too expensive to compete, IMO. HP already tried that when they sold their Omen case. Sadly it was 4x more than it should have been.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24-10-18, 06:16 PM
RobM's Avatar
RobM RobM is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Durham
Posts: 1,545
I would be interested if they were still independent but since Dell got hold of it IMHO they have slipped away from they were. So unless Dell can offer components that can compete on an equal footing and at a good price I just think meh another supplier of components, like we don't have enough already.
__________________
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII wifi | Ryzen 5 3600 | Custom Loop | Patriot Viper Steel 4133 @ 3600 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung 500gb nvme | Samsung 1Tb nvme | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Barracuda 1tb storage | Toshiba 1Tb HDD | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho Pro Tempered Glass | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24-10-18, 06:28 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 14,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
I would be interested if they were still independent but since Dell got hold of it IMHO they have slipped away from they were. So unless Dell can offer components that can compete on an equal footing and at a good price I just think meh another supplier of components, like we don't have enough already.
In all honesty Dell have improved things. Their cases pre Dell were pretty on the surface, but cheap elsewhere. The Predator 1.1 I have is nothing like the Dell one.

Before Dell they never used any of their own components. Just a case, with a top end Asus or EVGA board and etc. A PC building company, rather than a proper outfit.

I can't see this working out, mostly because what they make will be very expensive. Like I said, MSI make all of their boards now, who is going to over pay for a lacklustre MSI with an alien on it? they'll go the same way as NZXT boards, IMO.

The cases would sell, but again you have massive competition and the price would limit your audience severely. Who is going to pay £500 for a case?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24-10-18, 07:02 PM
Bartacus Bartacus is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
The cases would sell, but again you have massive competition and the price would limit your audience severely. Who is going to pay £500 for a case?
Former Case Labs buyers. But then Dell would have to NAIL it, and I don't have faith that they could. It would be too expensive, or too feature-limited for the cost. It would have to be that perfect blend of function and form, AND a decent price. Doubt they could pull it off.
__________________
Guts: ThreadRipper 2950X / GB Aorus Xtreme X399 / 64GB TridentZ Royal 3600CL16 / Zotac GTX 1080Ti x2 / EVGA 1000W PSU
Storage: 6TB RAID0 NVME array (ADATA SX8200 Pro 2TB x 3)
Water Cooling: HeatKiller TR4-Pro CPU block / HeatKiller IV GPU blocks / 360mm Darskide LP360 rads x 3 / Heatkiller reservoir

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24-10-18, 08:10 PM
Warchild Warchild is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 6,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Former Case Labs buyers. But then Dell would have to NAIL it, and I don't have faith that they could. It would be too expensive, or too feature-limited for the cost. It would have to be that perfect blend of function and form, AND a decent price. Doubt they could pull it off.
I kinda prefer even EVGA DG87 over the Dell cases. Was a huge fan of their old ones, but nowadays my taste has changed.

They aren't bad cases now, but to me, they are limited to options without modding. I don't typically like chopping cases because here in Norway, I have always 90% resell factor.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25-10-18, 06:01 AM
Peace Š Peace Š is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I kinda prefer even EVGA DG87 over the Dell cases. Was a huge fan of their old ones, but nowadays my taste has changed.

They aren't bad cases now, but to me, they are limited to options without modding. I don't typically like chopping cases because here in Norway, I have always 90% resell factor.
Isn't Scandinavia in general a very good place to buy PC parts at pretty low prices compared to other areas?




Not sure if I like that, as the others have stated: things will be expensive!
__________________
i7-4770K | Alpenföhn Matterhorn Pure | ASUS Z87-Pro | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP | ASUS GTX1070 Strix OC 8GB | Corsair TX650M | Thermaltake Chaser A31
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25-10-18, 07:29 AM
Warchild Warchild is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 6,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Š View Post
Isn't Scandinavia in general a very good place to buy PC parts at pretty low prices compared to other areas?




Not sure if I like that, as the others have stated: things will be expensive!
Yes it is. But used market is also popular.

I had a C700P case which I paid £340 for. (only costs £285 in UK). However I was severely disappointed with it so sold it for £325 recently. I didn't lose much at all.

Had I chopped or modded something permanent. I'd be lucky to get £200.

Same thing goes for my TT Tower 900. Bought for £350 sold for approx £320.

And its not like I only had them a few minutes. The prices at retail on cases are on the rise here.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 07:34 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.