Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 19-10-18, 02:54 PM
News Guru

Intel's soldered i9-9900K can offer improved thermal performance though deliding

Erm... what? Wasn't Solder supposed to fix that?

Read more about i9-9900K delidding.

Old 19-10-18, 03:29 PM
Resident Newb

Intel should really sit down with people like Der8auer and take notes because as of right now they seem to keep messing up.
Battle.Net: Dicehunter#2746
Old 19-10-18, 05:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Intel should really sit down with people like Der8auer and take notes because as of right now they seem to keep messing up.
Problem is they don't care. ASUS does work with der8auer, EVGA works with Kingpin, and Buildzoid, because they compete for the best overclocking motherboard. Intel at the extreme level doesn't compete with anyone. Like Nvidia they can do whatever they want, they can charge whatever they want, and they will sell everything they make because they don't have competition.

They have sold CPUs with toothpaste for years. People bought them, and voided their warranty the second they delidded them. Because they can.

RTX 2080 Ti is 1200+ Euro for fck sake, and they are sold out. Intel can't make enough 8700K to meet the demand.

Because when no common reason, or money are considered, and you want the best you have only one choice, and the competition is nowhere to be seen.

Edit: They didn't solder CPUs because people asked for solder... Lol no. They soldered them because of necessity. You wouldn't be able to achieve 5GHz with toothpaste on 9900K. 8700K you can run on 5.1 without delid. It will be on the edge of thermal throttle but achievable. 9900K without solder has no chance.
Old 19-10-18, 05:31 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
Problem is they don't care. ASUS does work with der8auer, EVGA works with Kingpin, and Buildzoid, because they compete for the best overclocking motherboard. Intel at the extreme level doesn't compete with anyone. Like Nvidia they can do whatever they want, they can charge whatever they want, and they will sell everything they make because they don't have competition.

They have sold CPUs with toothpaste for years. People bought them, and voided their warranty the second they delidded them. Because they can.

RTX 2080 Ti is 1200+ Euro for fck sake, and they are sold out. Intel can't make enough 8700K to meet the demand.

Because when no common reason, or money are considered, and you want the best you have only one choice, and the competition is nowhere to be seen.

Edit: They didn't solder CPUs because people asked for solder... Lol no. They soldered them because of necessity. You wouldn't be able to achieve 5GHz with toothpaste on 9900K. 8700K you can run on 5.1 without delid. It will be on the edge of thermal throttle but achievable. 9900K without solder has no chance.

Well as of last week I'm on an all AMD rig, No more Intel or Nvidia for me for the foreseeable future.
Battle.Net: Dicehunter#2746
Old 19-10-18, 07:17 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
They know how to do it they've done it before. They only care about money and marketing
Old 19-10-18, 08:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
They know how to do it they've done it before. They only care about money and marketing
Intel have never given a single toss about their user base. They know what is best, every time. You may as well pee in the wind than offer them any advice. Look how long they put toothpaste on their CPUs and the uproar it caused.

They only soldered this one because they knew without it? the 2700x would probably be a lot closer than it is now.

The funny part is that clock for clock I reckon the AMD might actually be quicker, but 4.3ghz.

Hoping they can edge toward 4.6 or so with the next gen. That will reaaaaaaally even the tables.

Old 20-10-18, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

i really don´t know what to think.... TTL said the 9900k temps are under control (around 80 degrees celsius when OC).

other reviewers report about 100°C when overclocked and cooled with a noctua.

around 90°c when cooled with a Corsair H115i PRO.

that is not under control in my book.....

did TTL test with AVX load?

tomshardware about Leakage at different temperatures but same load

Quote:
But back to the AVX load, because what does the almost 30° C temperature difference ultimately mean for power consumption? Here, too, we are amazed to a certain extent, because between the 205W with chiller and the 229W with the AiO compact water cooling, there is a difference of 24W. We can only attribute that to the now stronger leakage currents.

You can see the remaining power consumption figures on the previous page, but under almost ideal conditions. The better the cooling, the better the power consumption. However, we were only able to record these large differences at package temperatures above 80°C, which then almost rise like an avalanche.

This would dissuade us from air cooling, even if the Intel Core i9-9900K should not be overclocked any further. The 4.7 GHz all-core and a constant load are quite sufficient to make air cooling absurd.
Old 20-10-18, 11:57 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post
i really don´t know what to think.... TTL said the 9900k temps are under control (around 80 degrees celsius when OC).

other reviewers report about 100°C when overclocked and cooled with a noctua.

around 90°c when cooled with a Corsair H115i PRO.

that is not under control in my book.....
There will definitely be a luck lottery on them, that is for sure.

Meaning basically? DO NOT buy a tray OEM from OCUK because you know you'll get all the crap 8 Pack didn't want...

Old 20-10-18, 06:44 PM
OC3D Elite

expensive heaters then lol
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 20-10-18, 11:13 PM

Very odd. From "No matter how hard we tried; we couldn't get it over eighty" to "No matter how hard we tried; we couldn't keep it under ninety." Der8auer certainly has the sample size in his favour (Who else could put £4800 plus worth of processors on the line? Mad!) but Tom's chip is looking like the unlikeliest of Golden BB's. I'll wait three months or so. If Tom's does turn out to be more norm than outlier, I think I'll chuck some money at this platform just for the hell of it. Lapping your silicon, that is just so balls out crackers I want to do it!