Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 19-10-18, 02:54 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,862
Intel's soldered i9-9900K can offer improved thermal performance though deliding

Erm... what? Wasn't Solder supposed to fix that?



Read more about i9-9900K delidding.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19-10-18, 03:29 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Newbsville
Posts: 13,411
Intel should really sit down with people like Der8auer and take notes because as of right now they seem to keep messing up.
__________________
Steam: Dicehunter
Origin: Dicehunter
Uplay: Dicehunter
Battle.Net: Dicehunter#2746
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19-10-18, 05:01 PM
Avet's Avatar
Avet Avet is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Intel should really sit down with people like Der8auer and take notes because as of right now they seem to keep messing up.
Problem is they don't care. ASUS does work with der8auer, EVGA works with Kingpin, and Buildzoid, because they compete for the best overclocking motherboard. Intel at the extreme level doesn't compete with anyone. Like Nvidia they can do whatever they want, they can charge whatever they want, and they will sell everything they make because they don't have competition.

They have sold CPUs with toothpaste for years. People bought them, and voided their warranty the second they delidded them. Because they can.

RTX 2080 Ti is 1200+ Euro for fck sake, and they are sold out. Intel can't make enough 8700K to meet the demand.

Because when no common reason, or money are considered, and you want the best you have only one choice, and the competition is nowhere to be seen.

Edit: They didn't solder CPUs because people asked for solder... Lol no. They soldered them because of necessity. You wouldn't be able to achieve 5GHz with toothpaste on 9900K. 8700K you can run on 5.1 without delid. It will be on the edge of thermal throttle but achievable. 9900K without solder has no chance.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19-10-18, 05:31 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Newbsville
Posts: 13,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
Problem is they don't care. ASUS does work with der8auer, EVGA works with Kingpin, and Buildzoid, because they compete for the best overclocking motherboard. Intel at the extreme level doesn't compete with anyone. Like Nvidia they can do whatever they want, they can charge whatever they want, and they will sell everything they make because they don't have competition.

They have sold CPUs with toothpaste for years. People bought them, and voided their warranty the second they delidded them. Because they can.

RTX 2080 Ti is 1200+ Euro for fck sake, and they are sold out. Intel can't make enough 8700K to meet the demand.

Because when no common reason, or money are considered, and you want the best you have only one choice, and the competition is nowhere to be seen.


Edit: They didn't solder CPUs because people asked for solder... Lol no. They soldered them because of necessity. You wouldn't be able to achieve 5GHz with toothpaste on 9900K. 8700K you can run on 5.1 without delid. It will be on the edge of thermal throttle but achievable. 9900K without solder has no chance.

Well as of last week I'm on an all AMD rig, No more Intel or Nvidia for me for the foreseeable future.
__________________
Steam: Dicehunter
Origin: Dicehunter
Uplay: Dicehunter
Battle.Net: Dicehunter#2746
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19-10-18, 07:17 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 16,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Intel should really sit down with people like Der8auer and take notes because as of right now they seem to keep messing up.
They know how to do it they've done it before. They only care about money and marketing
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19-10-18, 08:12 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
They know how to do it they've done it before. They only care about money and marketing
Intel have never given a single toss about their user base. They know what is best, every time. You may as well pee in the wind than offer them any advice. Look how long they put toothpaste on their CPUs and the uproar it caused.

They only soldered this one because they knew without it? the 2700x would probably be a lot closer than it is now.

The funny part is that clock for clock I reckon the AMD might actually be quicker, but 4.3ghz.

Hoping they can edge toward 4.6 or so with the next gen. That will reaaaaaaally even the tables.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20-10-18, 11:49 AM
Gothmoth Gothmoth is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 270
i really don´t know what to think.... TTL said the 9900k temps are under control (around 80 degrees celsius when OC).


other reviewers report about 100°C when overclocked and cooled with a noctua.


around 90°c when cooled with a Corsair H115i PRO.


that is not under control in my book.....


did TTL test with AVX load?




tomshardware about Leakage at different temperatures but same load


Quote:
But back to the AVX load, because what does the almost 30° C temperature difference ultimately mean for power consumption? Here, too, we are amazed to a certain extent, because between the 205W with chiller and the 229W with the AiO compact water cooling, there is a difference of 24W. We can only attribute that to the now stronger leakage currents.



You can see the remaining power consumption figures on the previous page, but under almost ideal conditions. The better the cooling, the better the power consumption. However, we were only able to record these large differences at package temperatures above 80°C, which then almost rise like an avalanche.


This would dissuade us from air cooling, even if the Intel Core i9-9900K should not be overclocked any further. The 4.7 GHz all-core and a constant load are quite sufficient to make air cooling absurd.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20-10-18, 11:57 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post
i really don´t know what to think.... TTL said the 9900k temps are under control (around 80 degrees celsius when OC).


other reviewers report about 100°C when overclocked and cooled with a noctua.


around 90°c when cooled with a Corsair H115i PRO.


that is not under control in my book.....
There will definitely be a luck lottery on them, that is for sure.

Meaning basically? DO NOT buy a tray OEM from OCUK because you know you'll get all the crap 8 Pack didn't want...
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20-10-18, 06:44 PM
RobM's Avatar
RobM RobM is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Durham
Posts: 1,352
expensive heaters then lol
__________________
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20-10-18, 11:13 PM
Deadtroopers Deadtroopers is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Stockport
Posts: 41
Very odd. From "No matter how hard we tried; we couldn't get it over eighty" to "No matter how hard we tried; we couldn't keep it under ninety." Der8auer certainly has the sample size in his favour (Who else could put £4800 plus worth of processors on the line? Mad!) but Tom's chip is looking like the unlikeliest of Golden BB's. I'll wait three months or so. If Tom's does turn out to be more norm than outlier, I think I'll chuck some money at this platform just for the hell of it. Lapping your silicon, that is just so balls out crackers I want to do it!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 05:36 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.