Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 19-10-18, 02:18 PM
The Guvnor

ASUS ROG Z390 Maximus XI Formula Review

The Formula is unique amongst the Maximus XI range as it has a full armour covering. We see how it compares against the other Z390 motherboards.

ASUS ROG Z390 Maximus XI Formula Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 23-10-18, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Honestly, since the mockups suggest WAY more lighting between the PCI-Slots, I'm kinda disappointed with the looks. Is that because of the camera handling the lighting or is all that silver area really not illuminated although that's suggested by the first pictures?
Old 28-10-18, 09:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Couldn't find any answer in the review itself, but does anyone know if this board is compatible with both i9 9900K and i7 8700K?... And/or does it require a BIOS in order to use the latter?.

As from my understand based on reviews, it works with either CPU, without an BIOS update.
Old 28-10-18, 10:58 PM
OC3D Elite

All Z390's are backward compatible with 8 series cpu and all new Z390 chipset features are supported.

I remember coming here a long time ago looking at reviews and getting some pretty good info on overclocking modding etc but nowadays all TTL seems intrested in is modding his cars... The depth of the reviews are going downhill....
Intel Core i9 9900kK @ 5.00GHz @1.29v - Asus ROG Maximus Hero - G.SKill [email protected] 2x16GB - Thermal Take View Glass - PM961 1TB x 2 RAID0 - Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair H110 Pro - Corsair Commander Pro - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz

Old 28-10-18, 11:30 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLN View Post
All Z390's are backward compatible with 8 series cpu and all new Z390 chipset features are supported.
Ahh cool, thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

So just to be clear; No BIOS needed? Ie, if you’ve got an 8700K and then decides to get an 9900K down the line. I assume it’s just dropping it into the motherboard and ofd you go? It will work just fine?...
Old 29-10-18, 01:18 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Why do you ask such easy questions you already know the answer to on how to find out?

Just go to the Asus website, check cpu support list. took me 10 seconds to find.

The CPUs are supported since the Sept 29/2018 BIOS update. It's impossible to know which board you will get. it may or may not have at least that version of the BIOS. You should already be updating the BIOS as soon as you buy any motherboard anyway. It's a critical step in any motherboard change. With ASUS boards you don't need a CPU in to update the BIOS last I checked. So even if it is an older BIOS then you will still be able to update it. If not then borrow someone's older CPU.
Old 29-10-18, 07:44 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Why do you ask such easy questions you already know the answer to on how to find out?

Just go to the Asus website, check cpu support list. took me 10 seconds to find.

The CPUs are supported since the Sept 29/2018 BIOS update. It's impossible to know which board you will get. it may or may not have at least that version of the BIOS. You should already be updating the BIOS as soon as you buy any motherboard anyway. It's a critical step in any motherboard change. With ASUS boards you don't need a CPU in to update the BIOS last I checked. So even if it is an older BIOS then you will still be able to update it. If not then borrow someone's older CPU.
Thanks for the info and to asnwer your question; I didn’t. I didn’t think of that and when I have looked in previous cases, all it says to me is that it’s support different gens of Intel CPUs.
It doesn’t say if an BIOS update is required or not.

Well I’ve never updated an motherboard BIOS before and so far every motherboard I’ve had has worked fine for me. Plus, hearing it can brick a motherboard if done incorrectly, I don’t know about you, but I can’t afford to buy a new one every other day.

Hence I’ve never stepped over the doorstep yet, as I’ve mostly lived by the quote ”better to be safe than sorry” in this case.
Old 29-10-18, 12:05 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:

I remember coming here a long time ago looking at reviews and getting some pretty good info on overclocking modding etc but nowadays all TTL seems intrested in is modding his cars... The depth of the reviews are going downhill....

Bit harsh but admittedly its not in the review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Well I’ve never updated an motherboard BIOS before and so far every motherboard I’ve had has worked fine for me. Plus, hearing it can brick a motherboard if done incorrectly, I don’t know about you, but I can’t afford to buy a new one every other day.

You really need to pop that cherry.

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 29-10-18, 06:23 PM
OC3D Elite

What we need is a review showing 9900k on some of the top performing Z370 boards, I want this cpu but do I really need to upgrade my motherboard ?

Now for me this kind of review is super intresting and would be a highly watched video on youtube in my opinion.
Intel Core i9 9900kK @ 5.00GHz @1.29v - Asus ROG Maximus Hero - G.SKill [email protected] 2x16GB - Thermal Take View Glass - PM961 1TB x 2 RAID0 - Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair H110 Pro - Corsair Commander Pro - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz

Old 29-10-18, 06:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
What we need is a review showing 9900k on some of the top performing Z370 boards, I want this cpu but do I really need to upgrade my motherboard ?

Now for me this kind of review is super intresting and would be a highly watched video on youtube in my opinion.
I totally agree with everything you said here to be honest.