Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 11-09-18, 02:33 PM
News Guru

Assassin's Creed Odyssey - 20 minutes of 4K "Maxed Out" PC gameplay released

Ready to see the latest Assassin's Creed in action?

Read more and watch 20 minutes of Assassin's Creed's PC gameplay footage.

Old 11-09-18, 10:57 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Wasn't very impressed. Seems a 100% copy of origins with a Greece theme. I was expecting more. Only difference was dialogue but it was a weak showing of that feature since hardly anything interesting happened
Old 12-09-18, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Only difference was dialogue but it was a weak showing of that feature since hardly anything interesting happened
Oh, it's interesting alright. It showed us that their engine wasn't designed to handle dialogue options. The character animations are horrific. Origins had pretty good animations during cutscenes because the game didn't have to adjust the character to fit a different set of animations every time a dialogue was chosen. Everything in Origins was clearly made using real actors, which is something that they've been doing since Assassin's Creed 3. And it worked really well. But it looks like they decided to cut the costs this time and do some bare-bones manual animation work just so they could implement this useless feature in order for their game to resemble The Witcher 3 even more.

Now here's the kicker - The Witcher 3 used hand-crafted animations most of the time. But the developers actually gave a crap about their game so they invested a lot of time and effort to make them fantastic. They still have the best animated characters ever made for a video game. Ubisoft couldn't be bothered to refine them because they're hellbent on releasing this crap every year.
Old 12-09-18, 02:43 PM
OC3D Crew

nothing specific to this game but its a sad day when you see the people who create something you love and destroy it with greed.
Every dev seems the same in one way or another, these days there is only money. No culture, no playerbase loyalty, squeeze every last penny from the consumer and cut the costs at every possible opportunity.
BF for instance. £50 for a base game, another £50+ so you can get all the DLC they decided to cut from the initial release to make a bit more and then loot boxes.....
WHERE HAS HERES A NEW GAME, IT WORKS PROPERLY, HOPE YOU ENJOY PLAYING IT AND BUY OUR NEXT ONE GONE!!!!
Old 12-09-18, 05:15 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovizoR View Post
Oh, it's interesting alright. It showed us that their engine wasn't designed to handle dialogue options. The character animations are horrific. Origins had pretty good animations during cutscenes because the game didn't have to adjust the character to fit a different set of animations every time a dialogue was chosen. Everything in Origins was clearly made using real actors, which is something that they've been doing since Assassin's Creed 3. And it worked really well. But it looks like they decided to cut the costs this time and do some bare-bones manual animation work just so they could implement this useless feature in order for their game to resemble The Witcher 3 even more.

Now here's the kicker - The Witcher 3 used hand-crafted animations most of the time. But the developers actually gave a crap about their game so they invested a lot of time and effort to make them fantastic. They still have the best animated characters ever made for a video game. Ubisoft couldn't be bothered to refine them because they're hellbent on releasing this crap every year.
Witcher 3 I am 90% sure used live actors. I remember them talking about upgrading there motion cap room specifically for this game
Old 12-09-18, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Witcher 3 I am 90% sure used live actors. I remember them talking about upgrading there motion cap room specifically for this game
For story cutscenes, yes. But they didn't stop there. They also hand-crafted little details to perfection. Most notably facial animations. So even though they used live actors, most animations still received a special dev treatment. And when characters speak, those animations are hand-crafted to fit multiple languages instead of recording all the cutscenes with different actors using different languages. A lot of animations in less important scenes like monster contracts or when you're talking to a merchant were reused and adjusted by hand. Compare the way Geralt moves and talks to how the characters in Odyssey move and talk. Ubisoft looks worse than Bioware now.
Old 12-09-18, 10:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Wasn't very impressed. Seems a 100% copy of origins with a Greece theme. I was expecting more. Only difference was dialogue but it was a weak showing of that feature since hardly anything interesting happened
This !

I'll wait a year like I have done with Origins and buy it for £30 with the season pass included this time next year.
Old 12-09-18, 11:40 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
This !

I'll wait a year like I have done with Origins and buy it for £30 with the season pass included this time next year.
My father will probably buy it so i'll probably end up playing it after him on PS4
Old 13-09-18, 06:30 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
This !

This is exactly how I do Assassin's Creed games. I enjoy them, and get plenty of time out of them, but I always wait for a deep sale. I'm working through Origins at the moment; Odyssey can wait.
Old 13-09-18, 07:06 AM
AMD Enthusiast

I was hoping for more. Origins was a massive undertaking for the franchise in regards to the game design. I was hoping this would be expand and do more but honestly seems to similar from all aspects except dialogue. Just seems like they are banking on the fact you can choose a male or female as a new "innovation"