Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 13-08-18, 01:00 PM
The Guvnor

AMD Threadripper 2950X and 2990WX Review

The Ryzen Threadripper smashed the market with its combination of high cores and low pricing, and now the 2nd Generation is here including the 32 Core 2990WX. We test them out.

AMD Threadripper 2950X and 2990WX Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 13-08-18, 01:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Link ? Been bashing F5 all day
Intel Core i7 8086K @ 5.00GHz Delidded @1.2v - Asus ROG Z370 Strix - G.SKill Aegis [email protected] 2x16GB - NZXT MANTA BLACK/RED - PM961 1TB x 2 RAID0 - Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair H110 Pro - Corsair Commander Pro - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz

Old 13-08-18, 03:39 PM
News Guru

And I remember thinking that 6-cores was a bit excessive for Sandy-Bridge E. Times have changed.
Old 13-08-18, 03:41 PM
OC3D Elite

What a beast of a cpu that 2990WX.
Old 13-08-18, 05:23 PM
OC3D Elite

That Cinebench score.

lol.

Old 13-08-18, 06:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Intel are left behind now for sure, unless they can bring 28 core fiction to life
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 13-08-18, 06:38 PM

i actually have some issues with the video.

i did not read the article on the website (no time yet).
so excuse me when you adressed it in the written article.

one thing you forgot to mention in you TR2 video is that stuff like ZIP compression, AES encoding etc. (stuff that has a heavy memory throughput) is actually a lot slower on the 32 core than on the 16 core.

it is not just some "fancy" server stuff that sees a hit beause of the infinity fabric memory architecture on the 32 core CPU.
i watched the video and you made it sound as if only some very limited software will see a performance hit because of the infinity fabric memory architecture on the 32 core CPU.

handbrake is faster on a 16 core TR1 than on a 32 core TR2.

itīs also not a tiny tiny hit... sometimes, depending on the app, it is a pretty big hit.
i have seen the 1950x/2950x to be 10-20% faster than a 2990wx in some apps.

you really should expand your benchmark suite.

i donīt say that to badmouth TR2. i have two TR systems and will sure buy the 32 CPU model.

but people need to know where the 32 core shines and where not.
there are many cases where the 16 core is actually a faster CPU than the 32 core.

i do 3d rendering and programs like vray can use all 32 cores. also memory is not that big an issue.
so i can understand that people like me are as excited as TTL in the video.

but for a lot of people buying a 32 core instead of the 16 core TR2... could be a dissapointment.

there is always the warning "threadripper 2990x is not a gaming CPU".... yeah well it is not exactly the best threadripper for every workstation use either.
Old 13-08-18, 06:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post
i actually have some issues with the video.

i did not read the article on the website (no time yet).
so excuse me when you adressed it in the written article.

one thing you forgot to mention in you TR2 video is that stuff like ZIP compression, AES encoding etc. (stuff that has a heavy memory throughput) is actually a lot slower on the 32 core than on the 16 core.

it is not just some "fancy" server stuff that sees a hit beause of the infinity fabric memory architecture on the 32 core CPU.
i watched the video and you made it sound as if only some very limited software will see a performance hit because of the infinity fabric memory architecture on the 32 core CPU.

handbrake is faster on a 16 core TR1 than on a 32 core TR2.

itīs also not a tiny tiny hit... sometimes, depending on the app, it is a pretty big hit.
i have seen the 1950x/2950x to be 10-20% faster than a 2990wx in some apps.

you really should expand your benchmark suite.

i donīt say that to badmouth TR2. i have two TR systems and will sure buy the 32 CPU model.

but people need to know where the 32 core shines and where not.
there are many cases where the 16 core is actually a faster CPU than the 32 core.
You will probably find that all of the issues (IE where 32 is slower than 16) can be easily fixed with updates and patches.

This always happens, and people don't usually revisit products to review them once they are all fixed.

Old 13-08-18, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
You will probably find that all of the issues (IE where 32 is slower than 16) can be easily fixed with updates and patches.

This always happens, and people don't usually revisit products to review them once they are all fixed.

not when it is an issue of the infinity fabric memory architecture.

the 2950x has only one link... the 2990x has six.

normaly i would (naively) think that when a 32 core uses only 4 cores and clocks at 3.8 GHz it is as fast as a 16 core at 3.8 GHz using 4 cores (same CPU generation of course). at least roughly the same performance.

that the 2990wx is sometimes a lot slower running at the same clocks as itīs 2950x brother is counterintuitiv. but it makes more sense when you look at how memory is handled on the 32 core chips.

ok 4 cores are maybe a bad example as they could all run on the same CCX with direct memory access. but you get what i mean.

it could be some overhead, maybe they could tweak memory handling of apps a bit.
but i doubt we will see a big improvement.

in fact for some apps i doubt we will see them get on par.... not to mention the 32 core pulling ahead.

there might be apps that can be optimized to make use of more cores, no question.

handbrake currently does not scale well past 6 cores.

but handbrakes performance normaly does not get worse with more cores (same clockspeed).

and parallelization has itīs limits. it does not work well for all cases.

it seems the infinit fabric implementation on the 32 core does have a great impact on performance with some memory sensitiv software.

i also wonder how this will work out when doing heavy multitasking and multiple memory intensive programs.
Old 14-08-18, 12:13 AM
Bettyswollocks

That Blender result speaks volumes to me! Wow just wow, if anyone is thinking of building a new workstation and doesn't go Threadripper they'd have to be out their minds! That is stonking performance.