Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 26-07-18, 08:16 AM
OC3D Elite

Soldered IHS for Next Gen 8 core i7 / i9 ? ? ?

https://www.golem.de/news/core-i9-99...07-135685.html

"CORE I9-9900K:
Intel's eight-core is soldered
The Heatspreader will be soldered again in the fall of Octacore chip from Intel . This significantly reduces the temperature under load compared to thermal grease, which is why the Core i9 -9900K runs at a whopping 5 GHz turbo cycle on multiple cores."

Fingers crossed

Intel Core i9 9900kK @ 5.00GHz @1.29v - Asus ROG Maximus Hero - G.SKill [email protected] 2x16GB - Thermal Take View Glass - PM961 1TB x 2 RAID0 - Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair H110 Pro - Corsair Commander Pro - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz
Old 26-07-18, 10:23 AM
OC3D Elite

I bet they will use this as a reason to bump up the cost drastically.
Old 26-07-18, 10:31 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I bet they will use this as a reason to bump up the cost drastically.
Yup. When you use things that you really should be doing as a way to sell things.

Old 26-07-18, 10:53 AM
OC3D Crew

All K and X models should be soldered if possibly. I really feel Intel slowly dug their own grave by not doing it, when they could
Old 26-07-18, 11:22 AM

i believe it when i see it.

some 9 series CPU´s are soldered and others not.... not sure if that makes sense.
would it really that more expensive to solder all 9 series CPU´s??
Old 26-07-18, 11:51 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolagarf View Post
All K and X models should be soldered if possibly. I really feel Intel slowly dug their own grave by not doing it, when they could
Not necessarily. While we do prefer it, Soldered die does have the potential for issues later on down the line. Thermal cycling etc.

With old CPU the PCB was thicker and had more strength, but since skylake, the rigity of the pcb was less. Obviously its not a valid excuse for Intel and they did go completely cheap but I think there is more to it then many of us understand. They are perfectly capable of it, but unless they can make 100% profit on sales, they won't do it.

Soldered on die brings extra cost. If they could lay that cost on us via a cost+ model, and we would still pay then sure, but if they had to normalise sales (taking in inflation) it means the solder extra expense would cut into their revenue, which is a no no for them.

AMD on the other hand just go for it.
Old 26-07-18, 12:37 PM
Old N Gold

I agree with Warchild. There are benefits to using Intel's current TIM, and up until now has likely been the most economical solution for them. With these eight core CPUs though that they want to clock to 5Ghz on two cores and 4.6Ghz on all eight cores, to remain competitive against AMD in the temperatures department, they might have to use solder, despite not wanting to. And that's nothing to do with user overclocking. That's because of the higher core count and because Intel have increased the clock speed themselves without a die shrink. Using it in the lower end SKUs therefore still might not make enough sense to them financially. People will buy i5s and i3s by the lorry loads, so why bother?
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 26-07-18, 01:09 PM
OC3D Crew

Solder is good. Increasing the price because of it is bad.
Prices need to be good and performance needs to be a big step up for them. If right now I can buy a 6 core 12 thread for a little over Ł300, why am would I buy an 8 core with no ht for the same money. The performance has got to be really good when I can get an 8 core 16 thread for around Ł100 less and performance that in my eyes is not Ł100 worth.
Old 26-07-18, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Not necessarily. While we do prefer it, Soldered die does have the potential for issues later on down the line. Thermal cycling etc.
yeah well i think that is a theoretical problem.

i have sold old CPUs to friends who still use them.
some are 14 years old. :-)

some sandy bridge cpus from 2011 are still running OC to 4.5 GHz in friends systems.

since ~2000 i always had 6 systems running in my renderfarm.
so i buy a lot of cpu´s and they run often for days under full load.

i guess that is a theoretical problem.... sure not a problem for me.
i don´t use a CPU longer than 5-6 years.

actually prior to sandy bridge i never used a CPU for longer than 3 years.
but with intels babysteps after sandy bridge, it made no sense to update. even updating every 2 generations made no real sense.
Old 26-07-18, 09:23 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post
so i buy a lot of cpu´s and they run often for days under full load.
That's not a problem with solder. The problem is shifts in temperature. So turning it on (20c), full oc load (80c) turning the computer of. Then every day for years. It expands and contracts everytime, and that can leave cracks in the solder/cpu.