Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 02-07-18, 10:43 AM
News Guru

AMD rumoured to release 12nm Polaris 30 and 7nm Vega 20 in Q4 2018/Q1 2019

Can AMD create hardware that is capable of taking on Nvidia's next-generation GPU offerings?

Read more about AMD's rumoured 12nm Polaris 30 and 7nm Vega 20 gaming GPUs.

Old 02-07-18, 12:27 PM
OC3D Crew

For now then its bad as Nvidia will keep having complete dominance over mid and high end gpu market. So they can charge what they want again.
Old 02-07-18, 11:20 PM
Old N Gold

This is all very strange to me. Polaris 30 with GDDR6, more compute units, and MUCH faster clock speeds might make sense, but to do to Polaris what the RX 580 did to the RX 480 is like taking an old rusty knife you've sharped for a few minutes on a piece of leather to a laser battle in space. It's not even worth it.

7nm Vega 20 makes more sense because the technology is more advanced and should help with future game engine technologies, Vega has more to gain from a clock speed increase and TDP decrease, and people will be more likely to invest in Vega that's only a year old compared to Polaris which is two years old.

The fact that AMD are hush-hush (as well as Nvidia) is either a good thing or a bad thing. Either they have something tasty up their sleeve and don't want anyone getting a whiff, or they have absolutely nothing and don't want anyone to know.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 03-07-18, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
This is all very strange to me. Polaris 30 with GDDR6, more compute units, and MUCH faster clock speeds might make sense, but to do to Polaris what the RX 580 did to the RX 480 is like taking an old rusty knife you've sharped for a few minutes on a piece of leather to a laser battle in space. It's not even worth it.

7nm Vega 20 makes more sense because the technology is more advanced and should help with future game engine technologies, Vega has more to gain from a clock speed increase and TDP decrease, and people will be more likely to invest in Vega that's only a year old compared to Polaris which is two years old.

The fact that AMD are hush-hush (as well as Nvidia) is either a good thing or a bad thing. Either they have something tasty up their sleeve and don't want anyone getting a whiff, or they have absolutely nothing and don't want anyone to know.
if AMD have something tasty up their sleeves it makes no sense for them to be hush about it. They aren't selling any cards in the high end segment so they don't stand to lose sales to themselves. If they had something good they would benefit from announcing early as it would damage Nvidia's current sales.
3*140 SR1 Rad
all stuffed in an FD arc midi
Old 03-07-18, 07:46 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Polaris was Raja's, so you can expect them to totally c-o-c-k it up now he's gone.

Old 03-07-18, 10:19 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Can AMD create hardware that is capable of taking on Nvidia's this-generation GPU offerings?
Fixed

I can't wait to see what they bring to the table.
Old 03-07-18, 10:25 AM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleptobot View Post
if AMD have something tasty up their sleeves it makes no sense for them to be hush about it. They aren't selling any cards in the high end segment so they don't stand to lose sales to themselves. If they had something good they would benefit from announcing early as it would damage Nvidia's current sales.
I don't think AMD have the name and standing to threaten Nvidia sales with a premonition of what is to come. They've done that before and it's fallen flat. I think consumers won't bite. But if they hold on to something special (if they have it) and release it sneakily aside Nvidia, and it's competitive, people might consider them. The whole, 'Look at what we've got coming in 6-18 months... it's going to blow your mind,' *Vega releases and is a disaster so everyone who waited buys Nvidia*, it doesn't work, not any more, not for AMD. I would say they need to be more secretive, bite their tongue, and play the game smarter.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 04-07-18, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I don't think AMD have the name and standing to threaten Nvidia sales with a premonition of what is to come. They've done that before and it's fallen flat. I think consumers won't bite. But if they hold on to something special (if they have it) and release it sneakily aside Nvidia, and it's competitive, people might consider them. The whole, 'Look at what we've got coming in 6-18 months... it's going to blow your mind,' *Vega releases and is a disaster so everyone who waited buys Nvidia*, it doesn't work, not any more, not for AMD. I would say they need to be more secretive, bite their tongue, and play the game smarter.
Yeah that's a fair point, AMD have worn out their welcome. Although I didn't mean that they should hype it up too much just let people know that they have something that can compete.
3*140 SR1 Rad
all stuffed in an FD arc midi
Old 04-07-18, 05:41 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleptobot View Post
Yeah that's a fair point, AMD have worn out their welcome. Although I didn't mean that they should hype it up too much just let people know that they have something that can compete.
Yeah, that's it. The marketing campaign for Vega didn't help them in the long run I don't think. It's like the marketing team had no idea what the engineering team actually had. They were just told they had a new architecture coming up and it was to be called Vega, and that's it. I think it would be beneficial for AMD to focus on the promotion of their CPUs and to bite their tongue on their GPUs until they are sure they can be competitive. If they can't, they'll still have to release whatever they have, but at least people won't be so annoyed.