Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 10-06-18, 09:07 PM
News Guru

Microsoft acquires 4 new developers to expand their first party family

Microsoft has acquired Ninja Theory, Compulsion Games and more!

Read more about Microsoft's first-party expansion.

Old 10-06-18, 09:21 PM
AMD Enthusiast

MS:"Hey guys we are going to finally fix our IP problem and release more games!"

Crowd: "yay finally!!"

MS: " they are apart of our Microsoft's Xbox Play Anywhere initiative"

Crowd: *crickets*
Old 11-06-18, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
MS:"Hey guys we are going to finally fix our IP problem and release more games!"

Crowd: "yay finally!!"

MS: " they are apart of our Microsoft's Xbox Play Anywhere initiative"

Crowd: *crickets*
Whats wrong with Play Anywhere for gamers. How is there any negatives for this? I pay one price and can play it on both my PC (when the Mrs wants to watch the tele) or my console when she's happy to do her own thing.

Cloud gamesave means its a seamless experience. I don't get the hate with PA.

The only negative I see if for MS who may lose out on a console sale because people will buy it on PC and not need a console. I hope more games come to PA tbh.
Old 11-06-18, 09:47 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ddie View Post
Whats wrong with Play Anywhere for gamers. How is there any negatives for this? I pay one price and can play it on both my PC (when the Mrs wants to watch the tele) or my console when she's happy to do her own thing.

Cloud gamesave means its a seamless experience. I don't get the hate with PA.

The only negative I see if for MS who may lose out on a console sale because people will buy it on PC and not need a console. I hope more games come to PA tbh.
The only negative in my eyes is the fact that most of the games are exclusive to the Windows 10 Store on PC. It isn't exactly a great experience.
Old 11-06-18, 09:49 AM

Whats not great about it? I click buy, download and play. It updates automatically so is ready to play.

Its no different to buying off steam in my book.
Old 11-06-18, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Whats not great about it? I click buy, download and play. It updates automatically so is ready to play.

I have to second this. While I have my own personal hierarchy of how I prefer to get games I've never found the Windows Store to be terrible. Sure it's not as feature rich as Steam, Uplay, Origin, etc but it does the job of installing my game so I can get on with playing it.

As a recent Linux adopter and advocate of DRM free games would I prefer a platform agnostic approach? Of course but its Microsoft so we know that isn't going to happen soon. Getting Xbox exclusives in any format on PC is a step in the right direction; I'll support what willingness there is and drive to improve it from there.
Old 11-06-18, 10:08 AM
News Guru

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiyus View Post
I have to second this. While I have my own personal hierarchy of how I prefer to get games I've never found the Windows Store to be terrible. Sure it's not as feature rich as Steam, Uplay, Origin, etc but it does the job of installing my game so I can get on with playing it.

As a recent Linux adopter and advocate of DRM free games would I prefer a platform agnostic approach? Of course but its Microsoft so we know that isn't going to happen soon. Getting Xbox exclusives in any format on PC is a step in the right direction; I'll support what willingness there is and drive to improve it from there.
MS has made a lot of positive steps over time, though the MS store still leaves a lot to be desired in my book. The store user experience still needs work, it is far from my first choice for buying games.

I agree that it is good that it exists and that it gets the job done alright, but that doesn't mean that Microsoft shouldn't strive to do better. It takes more than a few clicks to navigate to my full games list for example, something that really should be better if MS wants to be taken seriously by PC gamers.
Old 11-06-18, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
MS has made a lot of positive steps over time, though the MS store still leaves a lot to be desired in my book. The store user experience still needs work, it is far from my first choice for buying games.

I agree that it is good that it exists and that it gets the job done alright, but that doesn't mean that Microsoft shouldn't strive to do better. It takes more than a few clicks to navigate to my full games list for example, something that really should be better if MS wants to be taken seriously by PC gamers.
I'd definitely agree with that. The last time I re-installed Forza Horizon 3 I completely forgot to re-install Blizzard Mountain as well as I assumed it would come with the initial install as it wasn't in the "My Games" section. Caused a bit of confusion trying to find the marker on the runway until I twigged what happened.

There's room for improvement no-doubt. Just a shame so many people refuse to give it a chance just because the Windows Store "isn't as good as Steam" (which incidentally is also what was said about Uplay, then Origin, etc).