Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 30-05-18, 10:54 AM
The Guvnor

ASUS ROG Strix X470-I Gaming Review

If you have had your head turned by the latest iteration of the Ryzen Zen architecture but want a smaller form factor, the Strix X470-i is a stormer.

ASUS ROG Strix X470-I Gaming Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 30-05-18, 07:39 PM

Tom, any news on x470 crossahair extreme?
CPU I7 [email protected] 1.248v GPU Asus Strix GTX 1080ti MOBO Asus Strix Z370-F RAM Kingston HyperX [email protected] PSU EVGA G2 750W AIO Corsair H45 CASE Cooler Master H500p MON LG 34UC79G KEY Drevo Gramr Custom
MICE Mad Catz R.A.T. 9, James Donkey 007, Thermaltake Level 10 PAD Asus ROG Sheat
Old 30-05-18, 08:18 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPredator View Post
That won't be for a while yet. The VI Extreme got announced at the end of July last year so a VII Extreme would probably be around the same time-frame. Although I maintain that having it ready for the CPU launch would have sold very well.

TTL, What kind of error did Gears give when you tried running it? Bit weird that it just flat out refused to run at all

Ryzen 1700X | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue | XFX RX 480 8GiB
240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 2 x 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Corsair Carbide 400C
Old 30-05-18, 11:17 PM

Bad m.2 slot

Got this board and tried two m.2 drives on the main front slot, and they didn't work. The slot doesn't even appear in the BIOS. Returned it and got an different board instead.
Old 31-05-18, 09:03 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerdealer View Post
Got this board and tried two m.2 drives on the main front slot, and they didn't work. The slot doesn't even appear in the BIOS. Returned it and got an Asrock board instead.
IT would depend on your drive/s and whether you have it set to the right mode. There are two different types of M.2. One is SATA and will need to be set accordingly and the other is NVME which uses PCIE lanes. Usually when you use SATA it knocks out a couple of your SATA ports on the board. However, I would imagine PCIE/NVME needs the controller to be enabled.

Silly question but did you read the manual?

Old 31-05-18, 10:33 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Got this board and tried two m.2 drives on the main front slot, and they didn't work. The slot doesn't even appear in the BIOS. Returned it and got an Asrock board instead.

That does sound like user error tbh.

Old 31-05-18, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPredator View Post
with a z490 coming soon, they will probably release it only on that chipset
Old 31-05-18, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
IT would depend on your drive/s and whether you have it set to the right mode. There are two different types of M.2. One is SATA and will need to be set accordingly and the other is NVME which uses PCIE lanes. Usually when you use SATA it knocks out a couple of your SATA ports on the board. However, I would imagine PCIE/NVME needs the controller to be enabled.

Silly question but did you read the manual?
Oh you are so clever aren't you. Of course I tried that, the problem is that the first m.2 slot isn't even detected at a bios level so there is no option that can be set at all. Anyway, returned this board, installed the same nvme drive in the Asrock x470 and had no issues. BTW multiple people are reporting this issues in online reviews.
Old 01-06-18, 10:24 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Oh you are so clever aren't you. Of course I tried that, the problem is that the first m.2 slot isn't even detected at a bios level so there is no option that can be set at all. Anyway, returned this board, installed the same nvme drive in the Asrock x470 and had no issues. BTW multiple people are reporting this issues in online reviews.

From what Ive heard its all down to people not fitting them correctly... The slot wont show in the 'bios' till there is a drive fitted otherwise there isnt anything to actually show. This is also normal.

So the user error thing stands.

Old 01-06-18, 09:12 PM

I know perfectly how to seat in an nvme drive. But just in case, I reseated it 3 times. It never showed up. The slot is particularly easy to seat too, compared to a back slot. It's very accessible. Anyway, I like that you have blind faith in a manufacturer and can't accept that some components might be faulty. Again, read online review, I'm not the only one having this issue, so something about the slot is not ideal, or the bios has issues with certain drives. Anyway, like I said, I returned and went with the Asrock x470 instead, it's definitely not as nice, but it does the job and it works.