Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 25-05-18, 01:37 PM
News Guru

Synopsys conducts the worlds first USB 3.2 demo

Synopsys has conducted the worlds first USB 3.2 demo, showcasing speeds that are 2x faster than USB 3.1.

Read more about Synopsys conducting the world's first USB 3.2 demo.

Old 28-05-18, 01:07 AM

At one stage people considered gigabit ethernet to be redundant because most PCs at the time couldn't handle actually transmitting or recieving that much data - not to mention that until PCIe became more ubiquitous, gigabit ethernet adaptors were connected via PCI which only had 533mbit worth of data bandwidth.
Old 28-05-18, 10:32 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
At one stage people considered gigabit ethernet to be redundant because most PCs at the time couldn't handle actually transmitting or recieving that much data - not to mention that until PCIe became more ubiquitous, gigabit ethernet adaptors were connected via PCI which only had 533mbit worth of data bandwidth.
The march of progress continues, though it is strange to think that Thunderbolt 3 is already 2x faster than USB 3.2. Thunderbolt 3 is fast enough to enable external GPUs, it will be interesting to see what will be possible using future iterations of the standard.
Old 28-05-18, 05:53 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Honestly I do not know why we aren't using Thunderbolt. It's so much faster.

It's the same thing with DisplayPort and HDMI. DP is far faster and does everything HDMI does. Yet we are using HDMI for everything..
Old 28-05-18, 06:20 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Honestly I do not know why we aren't using Thunderbolt. It's so much faster.

It's the same thing with DisplayPort and HDMI. DP is far faster and does everything HDMI does. Yet we are using HDMI for everything..
The main problem is that Thunderbolt 3 is basically a 4x PCIe 3.0 connection, tonnes of bandwidth to connect to a system. PCs these days can be very I/O limited, so several Thunderbolt ports would be too much for most systems.

The other problem with Thunderbolt is Intel, as the standard had royalties associated with it until May 2017.

As far as HDMI and DP go, I think HDMI has a lead now with HDMI 2.1, with variable refresh rates and several other features as standard. DisplayPort also has its issues, as HDMI can typically support longer length cables without signal loss.

DisplayPort and Thunderbolt also have to deal with the fact that USB and HDMI are stupidly common and people want backwards compatibility. Though this is arguably why Intel uses the USB Type-C connector for Thunderbolt.