Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 23-05-18, 04:16 PM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is offline
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 20,740
NZXT Kraken X72 AIO Cooler Review



With the advent of more cases able to accept 360mm rads, we're seeing more and more big AIOs from the Cooler Manufacturers. This time round we're having a good look at the NZXT Kraken X72, On paper it's got the credentials to take the top spot. Let's see shall we?


NZXT Kraken X72 AIO Cooler Review

__________________
If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW


Get along or run along. Your choice
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23-05-18, 04:43 PM
MiNo MiNo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denmark
Posts: 130
When the “key features” Section is directly from the marketing material then I instantly stop reading thinking this is as far from a “review” as it gets.

Now, I usually force myself onwards knowing you guys draw your own conclusions. But I really wish you would write the section yourself and exclude all the Marketing BS. Or put in a disclaimer explaining where this particular text comes from.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23-05-18, 04:44 PM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is offline
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 20,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNo View Post
When the “key features” Section is directly from the marketing material then I instantly stop reading thinking this is as far from a “review” as it gets.

Now, I usually force myself onwards knowing you guys draw your own conclusions. But I really wish you would write the section yourself and exclude all the Marketing BS. Or put in a disclaimer explaining where this particular text comes from.

Most of the specs pages are straight from blurb.... Total waste of time to write it all out when really youre only here for the results and conclusion anyways
__________________
If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW


Get along or run along. Your choice
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23-05-18, 07:07 PM
MiNo MiNo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denmark
Posts: 130
^ I get that. But when I read the first section above, it’s your words in “your voice”. Then I come to the marketing stuff and it’s STILL in your voice, because it’s written in the same way, same formatting with no “warning”.

Oh well, perhaps it’s just me - but in my mind you are the one throwing around “market leader”, “world class”, “engineering marvel” all the time ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23-05-18, 07:36 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,059
Where in the first page did he say: market leader, world class, or engineering marvel?

He said, "On paper it's got the credentials to take the top spot. Let's see shall we?"

How is this different from any other high end review? What do you want him to say?

"I guess we will take a look and hopefully it sucks"

That better for you?

How would you do his intro different and how would you do his first page different? Because you're criticizing for no reason and not giving examples of what YOU think it should be for a more "neutral" presentation.
__________________
The Cost of Freedom -
"A price payed gladly, in the hopes that the free, live better."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23-05-18, 09:03 PM
MiNo MiNo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denmark
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Where in the first page did he say: market leader, world class, or engineering marvel?

He said, "On paper it's got the credentials to take the top spot. Let's see shall we?"

How is this different from any other high end review? What do you want him to say?

"I guess we will take a look and hopefully it sucks"

That better for you?

How would you do his intro different and how would you do his first page different? Because you're criticizing for no reason and not giving examples of what YOU think it should be for a more "neutral" presentation.

I'm sorry I'm not able to be more clear than my last post. I'm really sure how to put it, but your are not understanding what I'm trying to say :-(


I can try again by saying it like this "you should not include other peoples text inside your own, without clearly marking it as such".


Make it clear what is your own text, and what is copy-pasta from somewhere else.


Better? If not, I give up.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23-05-18, 11:57 PM
TheF34RChannel's Avatar
TheF34RChannel TheF34RChannel is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Where in the first page did he say: market leader, world class, or engineering marvel?

He said, "On paper it's got the credentials to take the top spot. Let's see shall we?"

How is this different from any other high end review? What do you want him to say?

"I guess we will take a look and hopefully it sucks"

That better for you?

How would you do his intro different and how would you do his first page different? Because you're criticizing for no reason and not giving examples of what YOU think it should be for a more "neutral" presentation.
It seems we've picked up a myriad of overly critical new(er) members as of late... And I don't mean you what I observe in their posts is a complete lack of respect, often found in today's youngsters who have a misplaced illusion of superiority that, in their thinking, supercedes the aforementioned respect for others and morals that form the foundation of any sustainable society.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24-05-18, 05:33 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNo View Post
I'm sorry I'm not able to be more clear than my last post. I'm really sure how to put it, but your are not understanding what I'm trying to say :-(


I can try again by saying it like this "you should not include other peoples text inside your own, without clearly marking it as such".


Make it clear what is your own text, and what is copy-pasta from somewhere else.


Better? If not, I give up.
I understand you. You have two arguments.
1: You are saying he's not using his own words
2: You want him to tell people when he's not using his own words.

In regards to 1
My post was he was using his own words. You claimed he was saying things like: market leader, world class, or engineering marvel.
He never said that. That was my argument. I stand corrected because if you read where you claimed he said it, those words were not mentioned.

So your argument makes no sense.

In regards to 2
This is pretty much a very weak argument. You want him to put specifications in his own words? Why? It's literally units of measurement. Not much you can really do here.
As for the "Key Features" section, he is stating the Manufacturer's claim. Tom is testing those claims and seeing if they are indeed telling the truth. It's exactly the same way pretty much all other review sites. A great example would be Gamers Nexus where they will literally test specific claims by the manufacturer. Tom isn't doing anything different besides not specifically stating so, but it's a review. It's implied.

You seem to just be nitpicky over very minute details that really don't change anything like you want him to just write the whole page in quotes. That's ugly and unnecessary.
__________________
The Cost of Freedom -
"A price payed gladly, in the hopes that the free, live better."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24-05-18, 07:59 AM
jimma47's Avatar
jimma47 jimma47 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hobart, Australia
Posts: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I understand you. You have two arguments.
1: You are saying he's not using his own words
2: You want him to tell people when he's not using his own words.

In regards to 1
My post was he was using his own words. You claimed he was saying things like: market leader, world class, or engineering marvel.
He never said that. That was my argument. I stand corrected because if you read where you claimed he said it, those words were not mentioned.

So your argument makes no sense.

In regards to 2
This is pretty much a very weak argument. You want him to put specifications in his own words? Why? It's literally units of measurement. Not much you can really do here.
As for the "Key Features" section, he is stating the Manufacturer's claim. Tom is testing those claims and seeing if they are indeed telling the truth. It's exactly the same way pretty much all other review sites. A great example would be Gamers Nexus where they will literally test specific claims by the manufacturer. Tom isn't doing anything different besides not specifically stating so, but it's a review. It's implied.

You seem to just be nitpicky over very minute details that really don't change anything like you want him to just write the whole page in quotes. That's ugly and unnecessary.
I kind of get what MiNo is saying when you read the key features listed under the Tech specs however I don't think it needs to be marked as advertising or 'from the press release' - in saying this it wouldn't hurt to do so either.

Especially for new members. It would be quite easy to imply that Tom was actually saying "The all-new Kraken Series features the most advanced controls ever to be included in an all-in-one liquid cooler" and take it as gospel. Of course most of us recognise this is from the press release but not all of us speak English as a native language or have seen and read enough reviews to know one from the other.
__________________
Rig Gallery - Krusty III

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24-05-18, 08:27 AM
tolagarf's Avatar
tolagarf tolagarf is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Denmark
Posts: 800
I installed one of these on a friends i7 5930K CPU (stock). In silent mode the CPU topped out at 69C. Really disappointing performance considering a Noctua NH-D15 air cooler can do the same around 57C (24C room temperature)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 09:08 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.