Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 15-05-18, 04:00 PM
News Guru

AMD details future 7nm CPU and GPU designs

AMD has released details about their future 7nm CPU and GPU designs. ZEN 2 is "Design Complete".

Read more about AMD's future 7nm CPU and GPU designs.

Old 15-05-18, 04:09 PM

I just don't buy those GPU slide, how the hell is AMD going to pull out 3 generation by 2020?!
Even if that's Vega 7nm for Radeon Pro only, followed closely by Navi for consumer, I still think "next gen" before the end of 2020 is a stretch.
Old 15-05-18, 04:19 PM
AMD Enthusiast

You don't have to buy it. It's a free roadmap!
Old 15-05-18, 04:31 PM

also, the speech marks on "Next gen" extend beyond 2020, and with AMDs history with graph scaling that could mean 2030.
Old 15-05-18, 04:31 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyolly View Post
I just don't buy those GPU slide, how the hell is AMD going to pull out 3 generation by 2020?!
Even if that's Vega 7nm for Radeon Pro only, followed closely by Navi for consumer, I still think "next gen" before the end of 2020 is a stretch.
AMD almost definitely means up to an including 2020, or that they will have silicon ready before 2020.
Old 15-05-18, 05:21 PM
Old N Gold

It's quite possible Navi will only encompass one chip and only cater to the midrange and low-end (like Polaris did).

I have no idea what they're planning on doing with Vega in the gaming sector. It's such a shambles that I don't see how they could market it once Nvidia release their next generation and Navi comes out. Like Fury X, it'll be a fish out of water. 7nm Vega 20 for the compute sector might still live, but that's about it.

So, if Navi is only one or two midrange chips, and is basically just a redesigned Polaris, and Vega 7nm is a refresh, it's possible they've also been able to work on this "next-gen" simultaneously. As WYP said a few days ago, "next-gen" could have been in the works for years. I suspect we'll see "next-gen" in late 2020, if we do see it in 2020.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 16-05-18, 08:50 AM

Quote:
"Improve on 'Zen' in multiple dimensions"
The dimensions in question are obviously width and height. It's a smaller process, after all.
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

Navi is supposed to be scalable and have a mature implentation of Infinity Fabric. If the intention is for multi-die MCMs to be used in a similar way to Epyc/TR, then there's no reason why a single ~36 CU(Polaris-sized) chip can't cover the whole RX670-RX695 range of performance(A 4xMCM should comfortably outperform Vega64 CFX while appearing to the system as a single GPU).
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Navi is supposed to be scalable and have a mature implentation of Infinity Fabric. If the intention is for multi-die MCMs to be used in a similar way to Epyc/TR, then there's no reason why a single ~36 CU(Polaris-sized) chip can't cover the whole RX670-RX695 range of performance(A 4xMCM should comfortably outperform Vega64 CFX while appearing to the system as a single GPU).
Originally that's what I saw rumoured as well, but it was just a rumour. Now I see rumours that Navi will not use the Infinity Fabric in the way Zen has. If it does it will only see two RX 580-performance chips stacked together to hit GTX 1080/Vega 64 performance level at around the $250-300 price point.

https://wccftech.com/rumor-amd-navi-...s-performance/

What's likely to me is Navi will be Polaris all over again, with only one midrange die that'll draw more power than the GTX 1160, overclock worse, be hotter, but will still perform better in DX12/Vulkan scenarios or where games are coded specifically with their cards in mind, as was the case with Far Cry 5.

I don't think we'll see AMD compete in the high-end until 2020 at the earliest.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

While there's been some indication the implementation of this tech has been pushed back a generation, it's existance itself is more than just a rumour; Multi-die Vega/Navi cards have long appeared in AMD slides and some tech demos have reportedly been shown to developers behind closed doors.

Raja has previously said: "It enables some really low latency and high-bandwidth interconnects.This is important to tie together our different IPs (and partner IPs) together efficiently and quickly. It forms the basis of all of our future ASIC designs. We haven't mentioned any multi GPU designs on a single ASIC, like Epyc, but the capability is possible with Infinity Fabric."

It's likely the only reason we've not yet at least seen a traditional dual-die variant of Vega so far(AMD has made at least a "prosumer" version of every top-end chip for many generations without fail, including Polaris) is the same reason we've not seen a Vega Nano: The existing SKUs are (For the time being) already in far higher demand than they expected+can keep up with.

I think we'll certainly see a dual-GPU variant that appears to the OS as a single GPU for Navi at some point, even if only in low volumes and with the full implementation coming in later drivers, to iron out the kinks in the technology as they move to become more dependant on it in the future.

Lets not forget this is technology NVidia has also publicly been researching and planning to use for years.