Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 14-05-18, 02:11 PM
News Guru

AMD's Ryzen PRO Desktop and Mobile processors adopted by HP, Lenovo and Dell

AMD's Ryzen PRO Desktop and Mobile processors adopted by the three largest PC OEMs; HP, Lenovo and Dell.

Read more about AMD's Ryzen PRO Desktop and mobile APUs being adopted by Dell, HP and Lenovo.

Old 14-05-18, 02:35 PM

But no business users are willing to buy AMD, Intel mindshare is too great. At least in Desktop.
Ryzen Pro 1 was available to OEMs but didn't do well.

AMD need to develop consumer mindset first
Old 14-05-18, 04:14 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyolly View Post
But no business users are willing to buy AMD, Intel mindshare is too great. At least in Desktop.

This is very true, the business is going to asking why should we switch? Seems like a risk. The only way to counter it is to to sell them cheap. Businesses are run by accountants. If it saves them money and does the same thing, it'll seem like the best thing since funnelling funds through tax havens
Old 14-05-18, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyolly View Post

So true. I'm in the process of requesting an upgrade at work as my i3-3220 really isn't cutting it anymore, not to mention the slow as balls 5400RPM hard-drive. I considered sourcing an i7-3770 to save the company the cost of a platform upgrade but they're like hens teeth these days; I would've paired it up with £30 SSD and slaved the current 500GB HDD. Would've made a cheap upgrade.

The IT company we employ are recommending a quad-core i5 build, but I know for the same price I could get a Ryzen 5 hex-core with a far higher multi-threaded performance which would benefit my workflow. I know this because I own one in my rig at home and when I work from home my output is higher.

Of course when I suggested this I was laughed off as "not knowing anything" because I am "only an enthusiast" and that I "don't know how business works". My boss said "when you run your own IT consultancy company you can recommend what you like to your clients".

They're so brainwashed by Intel after the FX Series debacle.
Old 14-05-18, 05:17 PM
OC3D Elite

I work for the government, and we are all rocking A4-5300B APUs here courtesy of HP. I see a big market for these.
Old 14-05-18, 05:21 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davva2004 View Post
I work for the government, and we are all rocking A4-5300B APUs here courtesy of HP. I see a big market for these.
Explains why y'all take forever... No offense to you
Old 15-05-18, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post
This is very true, the business is going to asking why should we switch? Seems like a risk. The only way to counter it is to to sell them cheap. Businesses are run by accountants. If it saves them money and does the same thing, it'll seem like the best thing since funnelling funds through tax havens
Seriously, I've seen what should be £700-800 HP Ryzen Pro EliteDesks being shipped at less than half of that price by distribution, simply because they can't shift them.

I mean they are doing the right thing, cementing themselves as a serious performance option, AMD just needs to keep it going for a few more years so the businesses pick up interest.
Old 15-05-18, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Biggest problem in my experience of the pro industry is the software vendors certified hardware lists. In order for a business to get support from the software vendors, they have to rigidly stick to the certified hardware only. Any deviation from this and you get no support.

A prime example of this is avid, who only certify intel cpus and mainly nvidia quadros. Pretty sure autodesk is similar.

Old 15-05-18, 11:56 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei View Post
Biggest problem in my experience of the pro industry is the software vendors certified hardware lists. In order for a business to get support from the software vendors, they have to rigidly stick to the certified hardware only. Any deviation from this and you get no support.

A prime example of this is avid, who only certify intel cpus and mainly nvidia quadros. Pretty sure autodesk is similar.
I'm pretty sure Autodesk has tonnes of FirePro cards on their supported hardware lists. I know my Uni mostly used FirePro cards on their engineering workstations (which were new when I started uni).

My Uni did mostly work in Solidworks though.