Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 14-05-18, 01:09 PM
News Guru

Sony has no plans to announce new hardware at E3 2018

The console maker will focus on "exclusive looks and deep dives on four of our upcoming titles"

Read more about Sony's confirmation that there will be no new hardware at E3 2018.

Old 14-05-18, 01:50 PM

Do they really need a new console, i am glad they are focusing more on the great exclusives they release.
Old 14-05-18, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCO77YBOY View Post
Do they really need a new console, i am glad they are focusing more on the great exclusives they release.
I agree with this! Why bother making a new console (yet) when the Pro and the X are perfectly fine consoles that do what they need to do.

If they made a new console (like a PS5) what exactly would it even offer that would be better and worth the cost? I see nothing as of yet from a tech standpoint that would warrant it (yet). 2-3 years from now....yeah probably. But not before 2020.
Old 14-05-18, 02:20 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdayzzz View Post
I agree with this! Why bother making a new console (yet) when the Pro and the X are perfectly fine consoles that do what they need to do.

If they made a new console (like a PS5) what exactly would it even offer that would be better and worth the cost? I see nothing as of yet from a tech standpoint that would warrant it (yet). 2-3 years from now....yeah probably. But not before 2020.
TBH if there is one thing that holds today's console back it is CPU performance, so a next-gen console with AMD Ryzen cores would provide a huge bump for future consoles.

The PS4/Pro and Xbox One/X all use AMD's Jaguar cores at 1.6-2.3GHz, which is very weak when compared to today's PCs. This is where the "next-Gen" consoles will see the most gains.

GPU wise I don't see console makers doing much better than what they have already, though CPU wise both consoles could see a lot of improvement.
Old 14-05-18, 04:12 PM

I disagree massively on the GPU front; hardware acceleration for raytracing could be a game changer. Most major game engines already have support for mixed raytracing/DXR implemented and we know these features will only truly come to fruition with hardware support from AMD, NVidia, and Intel(Who despite their traditionally weak GPU performance were pretty ahead of the curve on the software side with this one). Even if this technology is only used sparingly for things like bits of glass, scopes/magnifiers, water, skin and say car bodies within a relatively short range it would be a ridiculous jump in realism for these often tricky items and would result in some really eye-opening lighting effects.

All the while this could often mean skipping traditionally expensive and hacky reflection and shadow techniques for techniques much easier to accelerate in hardware and that are much more predictable in their behaviour.

Of course, wider hardware support for newer rendering techniques(Eg checkerboard), rapid packed math, features like Freesync, and the huge variety of available techniques for smoothing and reducing the load of VR headsets will likely find their way into the new hardware.

The jumps in memory bandwidth that are inevitable should also reduce the tax for using higher resolutions, while new CPUs would open up the possibility of 120Hz support(Which is finding its way to more and more large TVs).

We could also see the first true use of some of Vega's feature set like Primitive Shaders.