Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 10-05-18, 08:51 AM
News Guru

AMD plans to integrate their Ryzen+Vega APU drivers into upcoming Radeon Software Rel

Raven Ridge has been out for almost three months without a single driver update.

Read more about AMD's plans to merge their Ryzen+Vega APU drivers with future Radeon Software Releases.

Old 10-05-18, 08:57 AM
OC3D Crew

About. Damn. Time.
Old 10-05-18, 09:12 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
About. Damn. Time.
Exactly, next week a month will have passed since my Article which stated that AMD had released no new APU drivers since their launch in February. Now almost a full quarter has passed without a new driver.

Right now it looks like the APUs use a modified version of Radeon Software 17.7.1, which would make a jump to something newer huge for the APUs. A lot has changed in the past few months with Radeon (game ready drivers, ReSX etc).

The main factor that has gotten in the way of this before is probably power management, as an APU works very differently than a standalone CPU. Even so, AMD should have solved these issues a while ago.
Old 10-05-18, 11:35 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Exactly, next week a month will have passed since my Article which stated that AMD had released no new APU drivers since their launch in February. Now almost a full quarter has passed without a new driver.

Right now it looks like the APUs use a modified version of Radeon Software 17.7.1, which would make a jump to something newer huge for the APUs. A lot has changed in the past few months with Radeon (game ready drivers, ReSX etc).

The main factor that has gotten in the way of this before is probably power management, as an APU works very differently than a standalone CPU. Even so, AMD should have solved these issues a while ago.
That's what I would say as well. It should have been something that was sorted right from the APU launch. But like you said, a lot has changed with Radeon recently. I just hope they are finally getting RTG's house in order like they have with the CPU division
Old 10-05-18, 04:32 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Don't think it's a big deal honestly. It works out of the box
Old 14-05-18, 10:45 AM
OC3D Crew

Trying to develop completely new drivers is a lot of work alone, trying to adapt existing drivers to completely new hardware is no different. Better to wait till those new drivers are mature and well tested before porting your fancy new budget/mainstream orientated hardware to it. I've no doubt attempting both at the same time would have required a delay of the hardware, pretty unnecessary in this product tier where "good enough" is kinda the whole point.
Old 28-05-18, 09:23 AM

I've been waiting for a damn update since December. I got my raven ridge laptop hoping for support but I have yet to see much of it. And it is needed badly. Having random boot loops due to driver corruption in Windows is running my patience thin.
Old 28-05-18, 04:52 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicman02 View Post
I've been waiting for a damn update since December. I got my raven ridge laptop hoping for support but I have yet to see much of it. And it is needed badly. Having random boot loops due to driver corruption in Windows is running my patience thin.
There's already been a driver release...