Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 07-05-18, 09:35 AM
News Guru

AMD has prevented ASRock from releasing Radeon Graphics cards in Europe

AMD has prevented ASRock from releasing their Phantom Gaming series of Radeon Graphics cards in Europe.

Special Thanks to TheF34RChannel for the info.

Read more about AMD preventing a European release of ASRock's Phantom Gaming series of graphics cards.

Old 07-05-18, 10:03 AM
OC3D Elite

Feeling better Mark?

Old 07-05-18, 10:26 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
Feeling better Mark?
Still far from 100%, but stuff needs to get done. I'm over the worst of it now.

Been crap since Wednesday, can't let this prevent me from getting stuff done anymore.
Old 07-05-18, 11:55 AM
OC3D Crew

Do we know the reasons behind this? Does ASRock have to apply for certain certifications, licenses, etc in order to field cards in these regions? Is it a tax or regulation issue? Or more an issue with support? Or is it more a result of the EU's(Or AMDs) protectionism impacting the ability to sell products produced elsewhere that are almost identical to more locally produced cards already on the market?

There's no real market incentive for AMD to block the sales unless they felt the card closely mimicked other models in those markets really, though since many AIBs use mostly standard coolers and just slap on a plastic shroud and call it a new model that'd be pretty understandable too. In my opinion if it's the latter this is inherently pro-consumer. Buying a GPU is super long and confusing nowadays, especially for new buyers, because of the sheer number of near identical cards sometimes varying greatly in pricing sometimes with 10 models with £2 of each other. Presumably this will just be a Powercolor/Club3D/ect rebranded again so tbh I think the market really needs some curation to tackle the fragmentation imo. Clearly this is something that's being going on for decades unnoticed though.
Old 07-05-18, 12:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Do we know the reasons behind this? Does ASRock have to apply for certain certifications, licenses, etc in order to field cards in these regions? Is it a tax or regulation issue? Or more an issue with support?

Or is it more a result of the EU's(Or AMDs) protectionism impacting the ability to sell products produced elsewhere that are almost identical to more locally produced cards already on the market?

There's no real market incentive for AMD to block the sales unless they felt the card closely mimicked other models in those markets really, though since many AIBs use mostly standard coolers and just slap on a plastic shroud and call it a new model that'd be pretty understandable too.
It could be that it has something to do with the card being enticing for mining, which contradicts AMD statements putting gaming before mining.

Or perhaps it has something to do with the "gaming" branding. Very strange blocking.
Old 07-05-18, 12:04 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm curious to find out why this is too. Surely it's something simple like they haven't got the required contracts and all that legal BS out of the way yet.

AMD R5 1600X @ 4.0 GHz ••• Asus ROG Strix X370-F ••• Corsair H110i
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G3 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 ••• Nvidia RTX 2070 FE
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• HP 32Q @ 1440
Logitech G-Pro TKL ••• Razer DeathAdder Elite
Old 07-05-18, 12:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post

Been crap since Wednesday, can't let this prevent me from getting stuff done anymore.
Make sure it doesn't hold back you improving mate, I'm sure we can survive just fine with quick news we post ourselves
Old 07-05-18, 12:27 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post

Get well first mate.

Old 07-05-18, 02:25 PM
Resident Newb

Can't remember where i read it but I'm sure this was a move by the AMD AIB's putting pressure on AMD to block Asrock.

Old 08-05-18, 11:25 AM
OC3D Elite

I guess the story from AMD was updated. This card was made for miners and not retail. It's a direct order with a minimum order of 500+ units just to buy some.