Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 05-05-18, 10:15 AM
News Guru

Nvidia is "Pulling the Plug on GPP"

Nvidia's "Crystal Clear" branding strategy has backfired.

Special Thanks to AngryGoldfish for the info.

Read more about Nvidia "pulling the plug on GPP".

Old 05-05-18, 10:53 AM
OC3D Elite

Good because the program was a total jerk of an idea.
Old 05-05-18, 12:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Good riddance. It was obvious from the get-go what Nvidia was trying to do. Get household names like ROG, MSI Lightning and others to be Nvidia only cards would severely hurt AMD sales. I'm as free market capitalist as you can get but this was just shady and slimey.

AMD R5 1600X @ 4.0 GHz ••• Asus ROG Strix X370-F ••• Corsair H110i
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G3 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 ••• Nvidia RTX 2070 FE
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• HP 32Q @ 1440
Logitech G-Pro TKL ••• Razer DeathAdder Elite
Old 05-05-18, 12:35 PM
OC3D Crew

More to the point, will Asus cancel AREZ and put AMD GPUs back under the RoG branding? They better do. Gigabyte and MSI on the other hand can jump off a cliff for what I care
Old 05-05-18, 12:41 PM
OC3D Elite

At this point, I think a good chunk of the program did what they wanted. Brands have been split. They are already marketing it, and they will not throw that away. This gen will sell the separate brands they have created. It will become the norm. They are just pulling out before the government steps in and drops the hammer on them.
They don't give a crap about public perception. They would have never did what they did to start with if they did. The had a goal, and accomplished it. And was able to do it before being investigated and sued.
Old 05-05-18, 12:49 PM
OC3D Elite

If the partners return back to normal branding then I will believe the GPP is over else its just going on secretly.
Funny how they claim to be pulling due to the negative feedback.
I suspect is has rather more to do with the investigation and to avoid the fines that would inevitably come from that than anything else.
I hate bully tactics
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 05-05-18, 06:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Well I wonder if the people who got there pants in a bunch about this can also do it about other things which to me seemed like a good idea and have them stopped, like AMD sticking to one socket for mainstream cpu's, or the separation of workstation/enthusiast cpu's from the mainstream cpu's.

I mean I wouldn't want a manufacturer to make it clear which is there card and which is a competitors card.

Based of everything I have seen about this, there wasn't anything that seemed bad about it other than it causing the likes of Asus, Gigabyte and MSI to have separate gaming brands for AMD cards and nVidia card which to me is something they should have anyway.

If more information comes out about what was in the "Contract" and it shows it was as bad as people thought then, people will be justified for getting as worked up about it but for now it just seems a massive over reaction and basically all kicked off by AMD spitting there dummy out because they didn't think of it first in my opinion.
Old 05-05-18, 08:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien c View Post
Well I wonder if the people who got there pants in a bunch about this can also do it about other things which to me seemed like a good idea and have them stopped, like AMD sticking to one socket for mainstream cpu's, or the separation of workstation/enthusiast cpu's from the mainstream cpu's.

I mean I wouldn't want a manufacturer to make it clear which is there card and which is a competitors card.

Based of everything I have seen about this, there wasn't anything that seemed bad about it other than it causing the likes of Asus, Gigabyte and MSI to have separate gaming brands for AMD cards and nVidia card which to me is something they should have anyway.

If more information comes out about what was in the "Contract" and it shows it was as bad as people thought then, people will be justified for getting as worked up about it but for now it just seems a massive over reaction and basically all kicked off by AMD spitting there dummy out because they didn't think of it first in my opinion.
The thing is that that we still don't really know what it entailed. All we had was rumour and conjecture, all of which was deliciously devoured by the internet and that situation consecutively misused by AMD for marketing purposes.
Old 05-05-18, 11:20 PM
AMD Enthusiast

It's just Nvidia trying to portay themselves as a victim. It's pretty clear with there language as well.

It was just a PR stunt and nothing more. It's dual purpose is make them look like good guys and avoid any potential lawsuits.

Don't be surprised in the future if they try something similar
Old 06-05-18, 07:43 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
It's just Nvidia trying to portay themselves as a victim. It's pretty clear with there language as well.

It was just a PR stunt and nothing more. It's dual purpose is make them look like good guys and avoid any potential lawsuits.

Don't be surprised in the future if they try something similar
Most definitely, and they'll reform it just enough to continue under a different name I suppose.