Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 03-05-18, 09:07 PM
News Guru

Cadence and Micron demo DDR5 4400MHz memory - 2019 release

Cadence and Micron have demoed DDR5 4400MHz memory. DDR5 is expected to release in 2019.

Read more about Cadence and Micron's DDR5 4400MHz memory demo.

Old 03-05-18, 09:21 PM
OC3D Elite

That is sincerely great and everything, but what's the point other than for benchmarking (with 3200 still being the sweet spot) - unless I am a complete idiot, please educate me in that case.
Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero | Intel Core i7-8700K 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 | G.Skill Trident Z 3333MHz CL16 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p | Windows 10 Pro x64
Old 03-05-18, 09:47 PM

I think the biggest benefit would be integrated graphics.
Old 03-05-18, 09:47 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
That is sincerely great and everything, but what's the point other than for benchmarking (with 3200 still being the sweet spot) - unless I am a complete idiot, please educate me in that case.
TBH in today's consumer workloads it won't matter, but it will come into play when apps are designed to make use of more memory bandwidth.

This is where the chicken and egg problem comes in, as software won't be designed with this much bandwidth in mind until most people have access to such ludicrous speeds.

The biggest application will be servers, where increased bandwidth and capacities will offer a huge advantage. For consumers the change won't be major, TBH we would probably be better off with lower memory latencies than higher bandwidth levels.
Old 03-05-18, 10:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
TBH in today's consumer workloads it won't matter, but it will come into play when apps are designed to make use of more memory bandwidth.

This is where the chicken and egg problem comes in, as software won't be designed with this much bandwidth in mind until most people have access to such ludicrous speeds.

The biggest application will be servers, where increased bandwidth and capacities will offer a huge advantage. For consumers the change won't be major, TBH we would probably be better off with lower memory latencies than higher bandwidth levels.
Thank you for your perspectives, makes sense. I would love me some 3200 RAM with incredibly low latencies and the lower voltage that comes with the lower frequency and DDR5.
Old 03-05-18, 10:42 PM
AMD Enthusiast

It has more application in laptops and mobile(tablet included) devices. The lower power and ability to have more dense DRAM dies means they can use less physical dies while also saving space/battery power.

Phones are already using LPDDR4 like the note 8. So if they can adopt the new standard and get better power consumption from it on top of using less physical dies that will further improve power consumption(example, using 2 dies vs 3 dies and the 2 dies use less power). On top of that they probably could increase battery size a little bit since less space is taken up by memory.
Old 03-05-18, 10:55 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
It has more application in laptops and mobile(tablet included) devices. The lower power and ability to have more dense DRAM dies means they can use less physical dies while also saving space/battery power.

Phones are already using LPDDR4 like the note 8. So if they can adopt the new standard and get better power consumption from it on top of using less physical dies that will further improve power consumption(example, using 2 dies vs 3 dies and the 2 dies use less power). On top of that they probably could increase battery size a little bit since less space is taken up by memory.
Exactly, pretty much the same reason why GDDR6 will be great for GPUs, more bandwidth for the ultra-high-end and fewer chips for the same bandwidth and less power on the low-end.

The fact that these newer standards can do more with less is often more important than the speed boosts themselves.
Old 03-05-18, 11:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Exactly, pretty much the same reason why GDDR6 will be great for GPUs, more bandwidth for the ultra-high-end and fewer chips for the same bandwidth and less power on the low-end.

The fact that these newer standards can do more with less is often more important than the speed boosts themselves.
Yeah, although the higher frequency of GDDR6 is at least beneficial to for example gaming as improvements often come from fast memory than faster core clocks. It's why I'm more exited for GDDR6 than DDR5.
Old 03-05-18, 11:09 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
Yeah, although the higher frequency of GDDR6 is at least beneficial to for example gaming as improvements often come from fast memory than faster core clocks. It's why I'm more exited for GDDR6 than DDR5.
That's more true in synthetics than gaming
Old 03-05-18, 11:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
That's more true in synthetics than gaming
Are you sure? I think I saw some additional FPS squeezed out by it, not much, but some.