Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 24-04-18, 05:29 PM
News Guru

Samsung announces their 970 PRO and 970 EVO series of NVMe SSDs

Faster performance and increased endurance thanks to updated NAND and new controller tech.

Read more about Samsung's 970 PRO and 970 EVO series of NVMe SSDs.

Old 24-04-18, 05:57 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Very impressive. Man Samsung is far and away from everybody at the moment in the NAND market. It's just kind of laughable at this point.
I mean it feels worse than Nvidia vs AMD in terms of top performance (Titan vs Vega) as an analogy of course.
Old 24-04-18, 08:13 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Very impressive. Man Samsung is far and away from everybody at the moment in the NAND market. It's just kind of laughable at this point.
I mean it feels worse than Nvidia vs AMD in terms of top performance (Titan vs Vega) as an analogy of course.
Samsung was way ahead in the 3D NAND game, which gave them a huge edge, after that it was their quick adoption on NVMe, allowing them to make use of their 3D NAND tech most effectively.

Other NAND manufacturers are now starting to catch up in this regard, with competing NVMe drives offering similar performance.

TBH the best thing to come to the market lately is the Kingston A1000, as it offers a good price tag for mid-range NVMe performance. Hard to beat the price/performance there. TBH if I were building a system, I would go SATA to get the most NAND/£. Games are not getting smaller after all.
Old 24-04-18, 09:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
TBH the best thing to come to the market lately is the Kingston A1000, as it offers a good price tag for mid-range NVMe performance. Hard to beat the price/performance there. TBH if I were building a system, I would go SATA to get the most NAND/£. Games are not getting smaller after all.
I'd love the idea of M.2 - especially these new Samsung iterations - also because it means less clutter, no cables etc., but only if my current drive gives out as there's no real benefit from interchanging them. First on my agenda is replacing my mechanical storage drive for a 2-4TB SSD (which won't happen until they're reasonably priced).

Anyway, I guess we were all waiting for the new Samsung drives. Regular SSDs probably aren't that far off either then?
Old 24-04-18, 09:23 PM
AMD Enthusiast

NVMe drives are really close to cost to regular sata drives except most are faster. It's just a no brainier to spend a tiny bit more for M.2 imo to get the faster speed and better form factor
Old 24-04-18, 09:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
NVMe drives are really close to cost to regular sata drives except most are faster. It's just a no brainier to spend a tiny bit more for M.2 imo to get the faster speed and better form factor
Absolutely. It's the still inflated prices (here anyway) that keep me away. Plus, I won't really notice a difference when swapping now - soon I will though.
Old 25-04-18, 07:13 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
And considering the market cost average. I dont think Samsung are being overly greedy in what they are charging for their storage drives. Pretty good successful strategy and product catalogue for them, will be hard to compete against them for sure.