Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 09-04-18, 08:57 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,796
Nvidia moves Fermi to legacy driver support

Nvidia's first DX11 compatible GPUs have been retired.



Read more about Nvidia's Fermi architecture moving to legacy driver support.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-04-18, 10:38 AM
fadingfool fadingfool is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 34
January 2014

Only 4 years ago the Nvidia 820M was released. This is a Fermi chip. Tough luck on anyone running those laptops.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-04-18, 10:45 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingfool View Post
Only 4 years ago the Nvidia 820M was released. This is a Fermi chip. Tough luck on anyone running those laptops.
Hardly. It's not like they will be playing modern games on such a chip any way. Plus this doesn't mean there are no drivers, just that there are no updated drivers.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-04-18, 04:30 PM
notcool notcool is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 320
Noooo you will never defeat the GTX 480 portable room heater.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-18, 09:52 AM
fadingfool fadingfool is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Hardly. It's not like they will be playing modern games on such a chip any way. Plus this doesn't mean there are no drivers, just that there are no updated drivers.
It's more the bug fixes and firmware updates that are more of a problem - if a security flaw was found in your GPU you would want it fixed especially in a four year old machine (heck I'm still annoyed Intel won't be releasing micro code fixes for my core 2 quad I'm still using) . The re-badging of fermi up until only 2 gens ago and then dropping it is the real problem.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-18, 10:12 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingfool View Post
It's more the bug fixes and firmware updates that are more of a problem - if a security flaw was found in your GPU you would want it fixed especially in a four year old machine (heck I'm still annoyed Intel won't be releasing micro code fixes for my core 2 quad I'm still using) . The re-badging of fermi up until only 2 gens ago and then dropping it is the real problem.
I highly doubt that many people are still using those laptops, nor worrying about game performance. You can't expect them to support technology from the past forever. Was the same when people were complaining about XP losing support, and then 7 losing support. This is technology and it moves quite fast so you either keep up with it or don't bother.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.