Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 04-04-18, 07:40 AM
News Guru

Rumoured Sony PS5/Next specifications leak

A PS5 for 2018? Really?

Read more about Sony's rumoured next-generation PlayStation.

Old 04-04-18, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Hmm... I guess, we will then be at a point, where consoles are the same as PCs... Now if only the cooling was as good, so the coolers don't have to scream into my ears like the regular PS4 does...
Old 04-04-18, 10:58 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Š View Post
Hmm... I guess, we will then be at a point, where consoles are the same as PCs... Now if only the cooling was as good, so the coolers don't have to scream into my ears like the regular PS4 does...
Nope. They will never be powerfull as PCs.
Old 05-04-18, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
Nope. They will never be powerfull as PCs.
Actually they already are as powerful as PCs, at their respected price points at least.
I can't see building a new pc for 300€ which comes close to PS4's gaming potential.
It's plain wrong to compare without setting price points, of course a high end 1000€+ machine will wreck a console but the cost is getting out of hand.
Old 05-04-18, 10:48 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsmw_gr View Post
Actually they already are as powerful as PCs, at their respected price points at least.
I can't see building a new pc for 300€ which comes close to PS4's gaming potential.
It's plain wrong to compare without setting price points, of course a high end 1000€+ machine will wreck a console but the cost is getting out of hand.
You can argue as much as you want but the answer is still no.

Do consoles have their place in the world yes. But they are nowhere near the power of PC. Their performance is trickery. They lower the details on the fly, and limit FPS often to 30 FPS. Oh yea... That is not the proper gaming experience.

PC was and always will be... I will quote nVidia on this... The Way It's Meant to be Played
Old 05-04-18, 12:14 PM

Quote:
You can argue as much as you want but the answer is still no.

Do consoles have their place in the world yes. But they are nowhere near the power of PC. Their performance is trickery. They lower the details on the fly, and limit FPS often to 30 FPS. Oh yea... That is not the proper gaming experience.

PC was and always will be... I will quote nVidia on this... The Way It's Meant to be Played
Well, a quote from myself then:"A real gamer plays on anything as long as he has fun. "
I own a somewhat expensive RYZEN system, an aged PS3, a non comparable 3DS and more systems and I'm not a blind fan of any platform.
I play on anything and enjoy it, either if that's the way to be played or not.
I just stated the truth regarding consoles.
No pc for all I know can be built for 300€ that comes close to the PS4's gaming potential.
Even with it's 30fps or lowered details on some occasions.
None.
Prove me wrong if you can.
Even the cheapest RYZEN G APU system costs significantly more and may not perform as well in games.
Price point is the whole topic here.
Of course PCS will always be faster with infinite budget, but the majority of gamers want to spend as little as possible that's why consoles sell so much.
In any case this conversation is over from my end, I won't reply anymore, you can keep any opinion you like, you might not get me, but someone else definitely will, we clearly don't think alike and that's ok.
Old 05-04-18, 01:11 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsmw_gr View Post
Well, a quote from myself then:"A real gamer plays on anything as long as he has fun. "
I own a somewhat expensive RYZEN system, an aged PS3, a non comparable 3DS and more systems and I'm not a blind fan of any platform.
I play on anything and enjoy it, either if that's the way to be played or not.
I just stated the truth regarding consoles.
No pc for all I know can be built for 300€ that comes close to the PS4's gaming potential.
Even with it's 30fps or lowered details on some occasions.
None.
Prove me wrong if you can.
Even the cheapest RYZEN G APU system costs significantly more and may not perform as well in games.
Price point is the whole topic here.
Of course PCS will always be faster with infinite budget, but the majority of gamers want to spend as little as possible that's why consoles sell so much.
In any case this conversation is over from my end, I won't reply anymore, you can keep any opinion you like, you might not get me, but someone else definitely will, we clearly don't think alike and that's ok.
I agree that its all about the fun factor. But you still can't compare console vs pc. For example its impossible to get a Jaguar CPU designed for console and use in a pc. While there are PC"esque" components in the console, they are designed and optimised exactly for that. Also buying as a complete package drops the cost. I bet if you tried to obtain the same ps4 components separately it would raise the cost to that of a $500 pc or even more.

I get what your saying, but its simply comparing apples to oranges. Both are fruits, but they are still different in the end.
Old 05-04-18, 04:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Don't get me wrong. Consoles are good for FIFA, PES, adventure games like Zelda, and similar... If you play those games in your living room with friends and family epic. Knock yourself out. Consoles are all that you need.

But for proper games... shooters, RPGs, MMOs, etc... Consoles are useless.

My biggest grippe with consoles is that because developers want to sell proper games on consoles (for which they are not meant) PC games suffer. Because it is easier to develop games for consoles, people first develop game for console then more or less port it to PC. If the game was developed to work on PC and utilize PC power it would never run on consoles. Maybe lowest settings and low res.
Old 05-04-18, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. Consoles are good for FIFA, PES, adventure games like Zelda, and similar... If you play those games in your living room with friends and family epic. Knock yourself out. Consoles are all that you need.

Honestly this is subjective. I can quite happily play an RPG on a console.

Quote:
Because it is easier to develop games for consoles
This isn't a true statement. PC hardware being faster and larger amounts of memory available make it much easier to develop for PC.
Old 05-04-18, 04:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I have seen a lot of Elite Dangerous players who were on consoles move to PC just lately because of this reason.

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla