Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 22-03-18, 05:11 PM
News Guru

CA Delays Total War: Thrones of Britannia

The delay will implement new UI features and improve the game's AI.

Read more about Total War: Thrones of Britannia's delay.

Old 22-03-18, 08:21 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Sounds like a lot of things they are adding.

Most of them sound like we should have already have them honestly
Old 22-03-18, 09:49 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Sounds like a lot of things they are adding.

Most of them sound like we should have already have them honestly
Pretty standard procedure, get the game through QA, find out what testers didn't like and then fix, fix, fix.

Hard to notice some things before launch, developers can easily miss things like that when they know exactly how a game works.
Old 22-03-18, 10:07 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I don't consider basic UI something you just "miss" for major features of the game.
As much as I love TW, CA seriously skips a lot of these things. It's actually surprising they added these at all.

The only valid thing in the blog post is unit balancing. As someone who has modded units and such it's quite a pain and tedious task
Old 22-03-18, 10:21 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I don't consider basic UI something you just "miss" for major features of the game.
As much as I love TW, CA seriously skips a lot of these things. It's actually surprising they added these at all.

The only valid thing in the blog post is unit balancing. As someone who has modded units and such it's quite a pain and tedious task
Well think of it this way, a developer knows how the mechanic works and looks at their initial UI. They think it is enough information not knowing that his prior knowledge is filling in the gaps.

Tester comes in, plays the game and then delivers his feedback saying that they would like to have this mechanic explained better in-game, perhaps by having a little more information in the UI.

I do agree that CA can miss out on a lot of smaller details, this delay will undoubtedly be good for the game as a whole.
Old 22-03-18, 10:35 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Well think of it this way, a developer knows how the mechanic works and looks at their initial UI. They think it is enough information not knowing that his prior knowledge is filling in the gaps.

Tester comes in, plays the game and then delivers his feedback saying that they would like to have this mechanic explained better in-game, perhaps by having a little more information in the UI.

I do agree that CA can miss out on a lot of smaller details, this delay will undoubtedly be good for the game as a whole.
I understand how it works I just don't think it's an excuse. There testers didn't even catch it. In the YouTube videos the media found it. That's mostly the reason for the delay. Major features of a game without a UI is just something CA does a lot. They introduced a brand new food mechanic. Then don't give it a UI. How do you know what makes it go up or down. How do you know when it's to low or what buffs or debuffs it gives? You need the UI. It's a major feature they talked about and didn't give it a basic UI.
War feavour is another example. We've had a similar mechanic in Age of Charlemagne and I'm pretty sure it had a UI. Why this new one didn't I have no idea.

CA miss out on many small details. And it's because they have no competition. The UI has been the same since basically day 1. And really it has become an issue since Empire but never been fixed. It's just typical CA honestly. They are just lucky the base game and formula are very good. They still have tons of work though and the formula is getting stale imo