Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 19-03-18, 10:51 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,320
Nvidia reveals their RTX Raytracing Technology alongside new GameWorks modules

Raytracing with Volta.



Read more about Nvidia's RTX Ray-Tracing Technology.

__________________
One of these days I'll change my name to Mark Bench
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20-03-18, 04:01 PM
Wraith's Avatar
Wraith Wraith is offline
Bettyswollocks
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: On the Moon.
Posts: 7,495
Impressive, I remember NVIDIAs showcase last year at the GDC they seem to have gone quiet on that front with dynamic tesselation I guess it's still in development. This is a step in the right direction and a glimpse of the future

Quote:
If any form of Ray Tracing is to be used in any games in the near future, it will be used sparingly, given the nature of today's hardware.
Same thing was true with Tesselation or Ambient Occlusion and now we have it in almost every AAA game, I'll give it 2 - 3 years before all the above are options in games and here's hoping they're not just Gameworks features.
__________________
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20-03-18, 04:03 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,100
Still not excited. Nope. Actions/words money talks etc.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20-03-18, 04:15 PM
g0ggles1994's Avatar
g0ggles1994 g0ggles1994 is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Look Under Your Bed
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Same thing was true with Tesselation or Ambient Occlusion and now we have it in almost every AAA game, I'll give it 2 - 3 years before all the above are options in games and here's hoping they're not just Gameworks features.
Agreed, I reckon Nvidia will make it part of GameWorks purely so they can use it to screw over AMD as they have been doing recently
__________________
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.6GHz | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue
ASUS RoG Strix Vega64 8GiB | 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20-03-18, 06:03 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,405
Yeah AMD is probably screwed
__________________
The Cost of Freedom -
"A price payed gladly, in the hopes that the free, live better."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20-03-18, 07:05 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Yeah AMD is probably screwed
Indeed. If they can get RT into games it will be a seriously killer app.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20-03-18, 10:16 PM
TheF34RChannel's Avatar
TheF34RChannel TheF34RChannel is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
Agreed, I reckon Nvidia will make it part of GameWorks purely so they can use it to screw over AMD as they have been doing recently
So Nvidia once more needs to pre chew AMDs food eh? They could get off their arse and do something themselves remember, they did lay off most of their R&D department...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20-03-18, 10:24 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
So Nvidia once more needs to pre chew AMDs food eh? They could get off their arse and do something themselves remember, they did lay off most of their R&D department...
Many moons ago ATI used to court game devs. And it was awesome. These days? seems AMD can't be bothered. They only get into semi decent games, so the gains are meh any way.

As much as I don't like Nvidia I do find the prospect of Ray Tracing rather mouth watering. I am still trying very, very hard not to be very excited but it's hard, because I know how much realism RT would add to gaming.

It's the next level, finally.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20-03-18, 10:47 PM
TheF34RChannel's Avatar
TheF34RChannel TheF34RChannel is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Many moons ago ATI used to court game devs. And it was awesome. These days? seems AMD can't be bothered. They only get into semi decent games, so the gains are meh any way.

As much as I don't like Nvidia I do find the prospect of Ray Tracing rather mouth watering. I am still trying very, very hard not to be very excited but it's hard, because I know how much realism RT would add to gaming.

It's the next level, finally.
Yeah agreed! They got their claws into far cry 5 though, good for them but I wished they used GameWorks (good for me).

Ray tracing - been quietly following it since the 8800 series with little actual usable advancements. Perhaps the day is finally upon us? I certainly hope so!! we'll need some rather meaty GPUs though...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20-03-18, 11:52 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
Yeah agreed! They got their claws into far cry 5 though, good for them but I wished they used GameWorks (good for me).

Ray tracing - been quietly following it since the 8800 series with little actual usable advancements. Perhaps the day is finally upon us? I certainly hope so!! we'll need some rather meaty GPUs though...
Yeah I think it is beyond where we are at right now. I saw some one somewhere (might have been here as it goes) call it "next-next gen". But hey, just the thought of it actually coming one day has me drooling. Graphics are a little stagnant. I mean sure, they are definitely better today than they were 5 years ago, but not to the extent that I witnessed in my first 20 years of gaming. The progress went from bat and ball to the Super Nintendo. Then onto the 3d consoles (PSX etc). Yeah, it needs a shot in the arm.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 08:29 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.