Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 19-03-18, 10:51 PM
News Guru

Nvidia reveals their RTX Raytracing Technology alongside new GameWorks modules

Raytracing with Volta.

Read more about Nvidia's RTX Ray-Tracing Technology.

Old 20-03-18, 04:01 PM
Bettyswollocks

Impressive, I remember NVIDIAs showcase last year at the GDC they seem to have gone quiet on that front with dynamic tesselation I guess it's still in development. This is a step in the right direction and a glimpse of the future

Quote:
If any form of Ray Tracing is to be used in any games in the near future, it will be used sparingly, given the nature of today's hardware.
Same thing was true with Tesselation or Ambient Occlusion and now we have it in almost every AAA game, I'll give it 2 - 3 years before all the above are options in games and here's hoping they're not just Gameworks features.
Old 20-03-18, 04:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Still not excited. Nope. Actions/words money talks etc.

Old 20-03-18, 04:15 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Same thing was true with Tesselation or Ambient Occlusion and now we have it in almost every AAA game, I'll give it 2 - 3 years before all the above are options in games and here's hoping they're not just Gameworks features.
Agreed, I reckon Nvidia will make it part of GameWorks purely so they can use it to screw over AMD as they have been doing recently
Old 20-03-18, 06:03 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Yeah AMD is probably screwed
Old 20-03-18, 07:05 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Yeah AMD is probably screwed
Indeed. If they can get RT into games it will be a seriously killer app.

Old 20-03-18, 10:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
Agreed, I reckon Nvidia will make it part of GameWorks purely so they can use it to screw over AMD as they have been doing recently
So Nvidia once more needs to pre chew AMDs food eh? They could get off their arse and do something themselves remember, they did lay off most of their R&D department...
Old 20-03-18, 10:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
So Nvidia once more needs to pre chew AMDs food eh? They could get off their arse and do something themselves remember, they did lay off most of their R&D department...
Many moons ago ATI used to court game devs. And it was awesome. These days? seems AMD can't be bothered. They only get into semi decent games, so the gains are meh any way.

As much as I don't like Nvidia I do find the prospect of Ray Tracing rather mouth watering. I am still trying very, very hard not to be very excited but it's hard, because I know how much realism RT would add to gaming.

It's the next level, finally.

Old 20-03-18, 10:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Many moons ago ATI used to court game devs. And it was awesome. These days? seems AMD can't be bothered. They only get into semi decent games, so the gains are meh any way.

As much as I don't like Nvidia I do find the prospect of Ray Tracing rather mouth watering. I am still trying very, very hard not to be very excited but it's hard, because I know how much realism RT would add to gaming.

It's the next level, finally.
Yeah agreed! They got their claws into far cry 5 though, good for them but I wished they used GameWorks (good for me).

Ray tracing - been quietly following it since the 8800 series with little actual usable advancements. Perhaps the day is finally upon us? I certainly hope so!! we'll need some rather meaty GPUs though...
Old 20-03-18, 11:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
Yeah agreed! They got their claws into far cry 5 though, good for them but I wished they used GameWorks (good for me).

Ray tracing - been quietly following it since the 8800 series with little actual usable advancements. Perhaps the day is finally upon us? I certainly hope so!! we'll need some rather meaty GPUs though...
Yeah I think it is beyond where we are at right now. I saw some one somewhere (might have been here as it goes) call it "next-next gen". But hey, just the thought of it actually coming one day has me drooling. Graphics are a little stagnant. I mean sure, they are definitely better today than they were 5 years ago, but not to the extent that I witnessed in my first 20 years of gaming. The progress went from bat and ball to the Super Nintendo. Then onto the 3d consoles (PSX etc). Yeah, it needs a shot in the arm.