Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 14-02-18, 12:56 PM
News Guru

Does Delidding improve Raven Ridge's thermals - Ryzen 5 2400G Delid

How much will Raven Ridge's thermal improve?

Read more about de8auer's Raven Ridge delidding adventure.

Old 14-02-18, 05:29 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Pretty impressive. That's a ton more heard room for OC'ing too. Really let you keeps things at a higher stable clock for longer intervals which will really help performance.
Old 15-02-18, 07:54 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Pretty impressive. That's a ton more heard room for OC'ing too. Really let you keeps things at a higher stable clock for longer intervals which will really help performance.
This is why Liquid metal TIM is the way to go it fills in all the hidden imperfections between IHS and die or IHS/Copper cooler and improves heat transfer immensely.

I saw an 18C drop in Temp on my old 4790k @ stock clocks. Sadly on my 7700k ive only seen 10C but still satisfying.
Old 15-02-18, 08:05 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
This is why Liquid metal TIM is the way to go it fills in all the hidden imperfections between IHS and die or IHS/Copper cooler and improves heat transfer immensely.

I saw an 18C drop in Temp on my old 4790k @ stock clocks. Sadly on my 7700k ive only seen 10C but still satisfying.
I don't want to sound brainy, but any thermal paste does that. It fills the microscopic imperfections between two surfaces, and removes gaps of air, which is basically an insulator. Why liquid metal is superior to regular paste is only because it has extremely better thermal conductivity. Thermal-Grizzly Conductonaut has 73 W/mk vs Kryonaut's 12,5 W/mk. And i don't think intel's toothpaste is nowhere near 12,5 W/mk. So the gap is even bigger.
Old 15-02-18, 08:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
I don't want to sound brainy, but any thermal paste does that. It fills the microscopic imperfections between two surfaces, and removes gaps of air, which is basically an insulator. Why liquid metal is superior to regular paste is only because it has extremely better thermal conductivity. Thermal-Grizzly Conductonaut has 73 W/mk vs Kryonaut's 12,5 W/mk. And i don't think intel's toothpaste is nowhere near 12,5 W/mk. So the gap is even bigger.
yeah probably a little dumb post from me. I chopped off half the post somehow. What i meant to include was there was no need for CPU Lapping, and since metal tim has better conductivity, there is less thermal resistance so more thermal energy transferred per unit of time.

I think I delidded first time on my 3570k and never looked back. I've recently switched to conductonaut too as I found there were even further improvements over the coollaboratory ultra tim I used previously.
Old 15-02-18, 10:19 AM
OC3D Elite

It happens. I often edit my posts.

Conductonaut seems to be less volatile, and more stable than coollaboratory.

I see AMD's point with this move. There is no need to solder lower-end CPUs if that means they will come at even lower price.

Comparing it to Intel... The very thought that you need delid on CPU to overclock properly it defies the primary selling point of K CPUs - overclockability. It is OK for non-K units to have thermal paste, but you pay extra for unlocked cores, and extra for chipset, and yet intel, in all their wisdom, guaranties only stock clocks, and they charge more for feature that they don't provide. For HEDT CPUs not to be soldered is blasphemy.

HEDT and K CPUs need to be soldered. Like AMD does with their equivalents. Then you can charge on top for overclockability. Are you reading intel representatives?
Old 15-02-18, 10:46 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
It happens. I often edit my posts.

Conductonaut seems to be less volatile, and more stable than coollaboratory.

I see AMD's point with this move. There is no need to solder lower-end CPUs if that means they will come at even lower price.

Comparing it to Intel... The very thought that you need delid on CPU to overclock properly it defies the primary selling point of K CPUs - overclockability. It is OK for non-K units to have thermal paste, but you pay extra for unlocked cores, and extra for chipset, and yet intel, in all their wisdom, guaranties only stock clocks, and they charge more for feature that they don't provide. For HEDT CPUs not to be soldered is blasphemy.

HEDT and K CPUs need to be soldered. Like AMD does with their equivalents. Then you can charge on top for overclockability. Are you reading intel representatives?
And you highlight a very good point, and something we as consumers are not getting to grips with. Today, it seems acceptable or normal for someone to buy an overpriced intel K series, delid and replace TIM. To me (even though I do the same) I find it disgusting that we have to do this to achieve optimum results. I hope AMD learn from this, which does seem like they do.. and proceed with pasting lower end chips, and using liquid metal on enthusiast chips.

I am just waiting for that moment to upgrade, and I most certainly will switch to Ryzen. Not much point right now with a 7700k. The time will come for sure!