Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 10-02-18, 10:54 AM
News Guru

YouTube reveals punishments for channels that post offensive videos

YouTube continues to tighten their rules for creators.

Read more about YouTube's punishments for controversial/harmful YouTubers.

Old 10-02-18, 11:38 AM
Previously Chrazey

Well that Logan fella doesn’t seem alright...
Old 10-02-18, 12:34 PM
OC3D Elite

They'll do nothing. PDP got famous through racism and sexism. This [redacted] is still getting masses of revenue. They rely on views to sell ads and controversy creates cash. Like all major corps they'll wait for the heat to die down and go back to how it always is.
Old 10-02-18, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Youtube still hell bent on destroying itself then.
Old 11-02-18, 03:51 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Offense is subjective, There is no universal measurement of offense.
This is a very slippery totalitarian-like slope YouTube are going down.
Old 11-02-18, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Offense is subjective, There is no universal measurement of offense.
This is a very slippery totalitarian-like slope YouTube are going down.
Youtube will decide what is offensive or not according to their terms of service which they can change at any point, given they are a private company. Users don't get to decide what is or isn't offensive on a private platform, you leave that at the door when you sign up to their terms of service. This isn't totalitarianism, it's caplitalism. You are entirely free to use a different platform with a different terms of service.
Old 11-02-18, 09:39 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetchez La Vache View Post
Youtube will decide what is offensive or not according to their terms of service which they can change at any point, given they are a private company. Users don't get to decide what is or isn't offensive on a private platform, you leave that at the door when you sign up to their terms of service. This isn't totalitarianism, it's caplitalism. You are entirely free to use a different platform with a different terms of service.
Missed the point completely as expected.

What is offensive to 1 person isn't offensive to the next, That's the point.

Don't defend multi billion dollar companies that don't even know you exist, You aren't getting any brownie points for it.
Old 11-02-18, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Missed the point completely as expected.

What is offensive to 1 person isn't offensive to the next, That's the point.

Don't defend multi billion dollar companies that don't even know you exist, You aren't getting any brownie points for it.
I'm not defending Youtube, I'm pointing out the system in which Youtube operates. It is a private company in a free(ish) market capitalist system, therefore it gets to dictate its terms (provided they don't fall foul of existing legislation which will likely vary region to region) to it's users. Which leaves 2 options - use a different platform or call for a change to government legislation to regulate Youtube. The second of which is rather anti-free market.
Old 11-02-18, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetchez La Vache View Post
It's an American company though which means they have to abide by their first amendment which is to protect free speech. Doesn't matter how big or many billions they're worth they are the laws. If Youtube doesn't like them they can clear off to China or somewhere else. Even Liveleak, which I believe is a UK based website, seems to have less censorship now. Then there's new sites like Bitchute that are up and coming.
Old 11-02-18, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcool View Post
It's an American company though which means they have to abide by their first amendment which is to protect free speech. Doesn't matter how big or many billions they're worth they are the laws. If Youtube doesn't like them they can clear off to China or somewhere else. Even Liveleak, which I believe is a UK based website, seems to have less censorship now. Then there's new sites like Bitchute that are up and coming.
Nope, the first amendment covers government censorship of free speech and not private companies with terms or services or contracts that you sign when you join. For example, even if this website were based in the US and I were to contravene the terms of service the mods would be well within their rights to ban me, my first amendment rights are not being restricted as I violated a contract. I'm free to break the terms of service, I am not free from the consequences of doing so. Same for employment contracts. If i were to breach my employment contract (which itself must adhere to existing legislation) by shouting derogatory slurs and bringing the company into disrepute they as a private company are within their rights to fire me.