Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 07-02-18, 10:17 AM
News Guru

AMD is rumoured to be creating a new GPU micro-architecture

What will succeed Navi?

Read more about AMD's rumoured "Next-Gen" GPU architecture.

Old 07-02-18, 01:11 PM
OC3D Crew

After Vega... I am surprised they didn't start earlier.
Old 07-02-18, 01:13 PM
OC3D Elite

I hope its much better than Vega, it needs to be.
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 07-02-18, 01:32 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
After Vega... I am surprised they didn't start earlier.
Well, if they are planning something new for 2019, it would need to have started development long before now, with the formation of RTG acting as the perfect time to start.

What needs to be remembered is how long it takes to create something new, with the time between Bulldozer and Zen being a prime example of how long it takes for a new microarchitecture to be created.

Right now AMD has confirmed that the design work on Zen 2 is finished, with the product being around a year from release, showcasing how long it then takes to manufacture a big/complex product like a high power CPU or GPU.
Old 07-02-18, 01:52 PM
OC3D Elite

CPU wise AMD are golden, Ryzen is brilliant, But they need a killer GPU, Even if the majority of their customers only buy their mid range cards they need a monster GPU as a crowning piece as more often than not I've noticed, People tend to judge a company by their halo products.
=Asus ROG Swift PG348Q 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440P G-Sync 100Hz IPS 4Ms=
=Steam - Dicehunter = Origin - Dicehunter = Uplay - DicehunterUPLAY=

Old 07-02-18, 02:56 PM
OC3D Elite

They don't need a killer GPU they need a mid range monster that can actually be overclocked. That is where they will sell lots of GPUs.

I am glad they are ditching GCN. We don't need kitchen sinks.

Old 07-02-18, 03:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
They don't need a killer GPU they need a mid range monster that can actually be overclocked. That is where they will sell lots of GPUs.

I am glad they are ditching GCN. We don't need kitchen sinks.
They do for the status and to win some mindshare from Nvidia, Even if all they mainly sell is a really good mid range that overclocks like crazy, A lot of people judge a company based on their halo product.

I've seen it a lot on forums and even more importantly when I worked in places like Dixons and at PCWorld I would hear people very often say "Nvidia have the best top end card so go with whatever they have", Main phrase there "whatever they have" because the halo product set the tone.

They don't even need to sell a lot of their halo product, So long as it's known about as it will influence the sales of the rest of the lineup, Again this is through my own experience in sales at Dixons and PCWorld.

AFAIK PCWorld and Dixons are now under the same umbrella, The same as Currys, But at the time I worked at 2 different places.

Old 07-02-18, 03:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
They do for the status and to win some mindshare from Nvidia, Even if all they mainly sell is a really good mid range that overclocks like crazy, A lot of people judge a company based on their halo product.

I've seen it a lot on forums and even more importantly when I worked in places like Dixons and at PCWorld I would hear people very often say "Nvidia have the best top end card so go with whatever they have", Main phrase there "whatever they have" because the halo product set the tone.

They don't even need to sell a lot of their halo product, So long as it's known about as it will influence the sales of the rest of the lineup, Again this is through my own experience in sales at Dixons and PCWorld.

AFAIK PCWorld and Dixons are now under the same umbrella, The same as Currys, But at the time I worked at 2 different places.
My experience of PC world was that staff new little about the products they were selling, I no longer visit other than for a look about if the wifes in clothes shops.

You must have been an exception to the rule of clueless staff and I fully agree that AMD need a card that will beat the 1080Ti in order to get any mind-share from nVidia
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 07-02-18, 03:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
My experience of PC world was that staff new little about the products they were selling, I no longer visit other than for a look about if the wifes in clothes shops.

You must have been an exception to the rule of clueless staff and I fully agree that AMD need a card that will beat the 1080Ti in order to get any mind-share from nVidia
There was me and maybe 1 other man who knew anything real about PC's, Everyone else was clueless but they all knew 1 thing about computers, Nvidia has the highest performing cards, Also the most expensive, So those would get pushed onto customers the most, AMD sales were extremely low even though we stocked AMD powered rigs, Both CPU and GPU.

Old 07-02-18, 04:31 PM
OC3D Elite

They don't stand a snowflake's chance in hell of ever producing another product that will compete with Nvidia at the high end. They just can't, because they don't have Nvidia's money nor success. The best we can hope for is reasonably priced overclockable mid range cards.

Look what happened the last two times they tried to compete with Nvidia. Fury X (sniggers) V 980Ti and Vega 64 VS Titan XP. It was a horror show both times.

It is high time they dropped the kitchen sink Fermi arch and moved onto something that actually responds to high frequency.