Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 02-02-18, 05:32 PM
News Guru

Can you make money using Threadripper for mining?

Isn't cpu mining dead?

Read more about mining on AMD's Ryzen Threadripper CPUs.

Old 02-02-18, 06:26 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Not bad. Not as profitable as GPUs but the fact that it can just brute force it's way through with so many threads is pretty impressive. I wonder how Intels 16/18C CPUs would fair in these tests too.
Old 02-02-18, 06:53 PM

I don't get it, is it a good or a bad result compared to a graphics card?
Old 02-02-18, 06:53 PM

I wonder if its worth the time to throw an old FX cpu at mining lol, hell if it pays for the power it uses it might be lol. The woes of only having old midrange hardware to screw around with means I completely missed out on the mining craze lol.
|- [email protected](Summer), 4.4(Winter) -||- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo -||- Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 -||- 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz DDR3 -||- EVGA GQ650 -||- MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB -||- Zalman Z9 Plus -||- Samsung 850 EVO 240GB -||- 2TB Mechanical Storage -|
Old 02-02-18, 08:40 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Not bad. Not as profitable as GPUs but the fact that it can just brute force it's way through with so many threads is pretty impressive. I wonder how Intels 16/18C CPUs would fair in these tests too.
Not that well, cache is the issue here. Even Intel's 18-core has less l3 cache than the 1950X. CryptoNight needs 2MB per instance, making Threadripper's extra cache a huge factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRITICALThinker View Post
I wonder if its worth the time to throw an old FX cpu at mining lol, hell if it pays for the power it uses it might be lol. The woes of only having old midrange hardware to screw around with means I completely missed out on the mining craze lol.
Nope, 8MB of cache over 8 cores, so only 4 instances can run well. Then there is electricity to consider and the lower IPC.

The aim of the game is to earn more than the power you use costs.
Old 02-02-18, 08:48 PM
OC3D Elite

How much did AMD pay for this advert?

Old 02-02-18, 09:01 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
This isn't an advert. AMD wanted to talk to us about it, I took the call, told them to sell me the idea of CPU mining and I did the required math.

The basic just of it is that AMD users with a Ryzen CPU with a 2MB cache to core ratio could earn a little money on the side this way, provided they want to gamble the electricity costs on the crypto market. While GPUs are scarce people could use their Ryzen (mostly Threadripper) CPUs to earn a little extra cash with their cache.

It goes without saying that no cash changed hands here, we were under no obligation to write anything based on the information AMD gave us.

I understand that you may have intended your comment as a joke, but in a written format it can also be read as an accusation.
Old 02-02-18, 09:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Not an accusation but an observation. It literally reads like an advert and genuinely looks like AMD are stooping low enough to get miners buying TR.

Just like when they allowed some dude to play with a Vega FE as long as he gave no specifics and said it was not discernable from a Titan XP.

Which as we know turned out to be a load of crap.

Old 02-02-18, 09:47 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Really? Low blow even for you dude. Calling one our own esteemed users a sellout?
He's part of the reason OC3D is more known than ever because of his news articles. He's been an amazing part of this family.

This article was very Mark and appreciated. Next to no information and this was really interesting to find how diverse blockchain technology is. I appreciate the article.
Old 02-02-18, 09:55 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Really? Low blow even for you dude. Calling one our own esteemed users a sellout?
He's part of the reason OC3D is more known than ever because of his news articles. He's been an amazing part of this family.

This article was very Mark and appreciated. Next to no information and this was really interesting to find how diverse blockchain technology is. I appreciate the article.
I find the article insulting. I didn't call him a sellout, I said it looks like an advert and reads like an advert.

But yeah, I actually find it terribly insulting. See, it's gamers and enthusiasts who got AMD where they are today. It was us who kept them alive when Intel and Nvidia were smashing them to bits.

Today I went looking for an upgrade for my GTX 950. I couldn't find one. Why? because of mining. I then log onto one of my favourite websites for gaming, tech talk and fellow enthusiasts and what do I see? AMD talking about how TR are good for mining.

So today I had £300 in my pocket wanting to spend every penny on a new GPU. However, because the prices are so outright disgusting I could not do it. So I am going to have to make do with a GTX 950 when using that rig.

If this is how it is? and AMD really love mining that much? fair play. I will never buy another one of their products ever again.

If AMD are not reading this do feel free to pass my posts on to them.