Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 23-01-18, 09:52 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,795
Intel confirms that their Spectre Patch has problems - new updates incoming

Haswell and Broadwell-based systems are affected by reboot issues.



Read more about Intel's Spectre firmware woes.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23-01-18, 09:54 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,370
Oh god no. My PC has been acting so strangely lately. Programs refused to run after the patch and I had to uninstall them and find alternatives. I had it BSOD on me once, then refuse to start (well, boot into Windows) and etc. Last thing I need are more bloody patches causing more sodding issues.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23-01-18, 09:56 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Oh god no. My PC has been acting so strangely lately. Programs refused to run after the patch and I had to uninstall them and find alternatives. I had it BSOD on me once, then refuse to start (well, boot into Windows) and etc. Last thing I need are more bloody patches causing more sodding issues.
These issues are due to firmware updates, not patches. Not that many consumer motherboards have BIOS updates yet, aside from Skylake or newer platforms.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23-01-18, 09:59 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
These issues are due to firmware updates, not patches. Not that many consumer motherboards have BIOS updates yet, aside from Skylake or newer platforms.
I've not flashed the bios. I've had my rig running since last July. I've never had as single issue with it. Until the patches rolled out last week. Coincidence? not really.

It could have been the meltdown patch causing those issues. In fact, that may explain why apps just died and refused to run. Maybe they were using certain paths to the CPU.

God knows, but I'm not really in any mood for any more of it. Last time I checked I was still vulnerable to Spectre.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23-01-18, 02:28 PM
Darkdayzzz Darkdayzzz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I've not flashed the bios. I've had my rig running since last July. I've never had as single issue with it. Until the patches rolled out last week. Coincidence? not really.

It could have been the meltdown patch causing those issues. In fact, that may explain why apps just died and refused to run. Maybe they were using certain paths to the CPU.

God knows, but I'm not really in any mood for any more of it. Last time I checked I was still vulnerable to Spectre.
AlienALX - what OS of windows are you running?

If its win10 pro (since you can stop updates in the other windows easily lol) I can tell you what to change within GPEDIT (group policy editor) to stop Windows10 from updating at all, no more forced updates. And this is also do-able on Windows10 home as well I just need to remember how to add GPEDIT into it.

Let me know, happy to help if I can. To be fair - meltdown and spectre will need a very skilled person or group to even use them and then if they know how to use them they certainly won't be going after a normal person like you or me (typically).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23-01-18, 02:47 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,370
Yes it's Win 10 pro. I don't want to change anything on the PC if it works.. However, I am upgrading another PC and will not care so much about that one as it won't have any payment stuff stored on it etc.

So cheers for that, will hit you up in a couple of weeks
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23-01-18, 09:07 PM
TheF34RChannel's Avatar
TheF34RChannel TheF34RChannel is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,080
Intel now included identical issues for newer CPUs, including Kaby and Skylake, as well, according to tweakers.net (Dutch).
__________________
Asus Z370 MXH | 8700K 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 | G.Skill Trident Z 3333MHz CL16 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | Acer XB270HU 1440p | Win10 Pro x64
We call ourselves legion, for many we be. So hand me your kingdom, I'll take it from here. And dare no one break from, my circles of fear

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24-01-18, 09:02 PM
hellboy99 hellboy99 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 54
Quote:
Intel tells users to stop installing chip patches
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42788169#
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24-01-18, 09:20 PM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 4,602
Haha, I am actually so amused by this. Intel, the biggest CPU maker in the world, who has been for decades, have actually totally shot themselves in the foot here.

Especially after making CPUs for so long that you'd thought they knew what they were doing, apparently not...

Even AMD hasn't gotten this much issues lol...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24-01-18, 10:22 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,565
Haven't even updated anything. Not even windows. Nothing I do would get me these malware anyway.
__________________
The Cost of Freedom -
"A price payed gladly, in the hopes that the free, live better."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 11:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.