Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 09-01-18, 10:15 AM
News Guru

Microsoft halts Meltdown/Spectre patches after certain AMD chipsets made unbootable

Only select AMD chipsets are affected.

Read more about Microsoft halting the distribution of security fixes on select AMD systems.

Old 09-01-18, 12:09 PM
OC3D Crew

That's what happens when you fail to test things before releasing them
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 09-01-18, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
That's what happens when you fail to test things before releasing them
So microsoft is supposed to have one of each chipset/cpu from the past 10 years? Or are the supposed to code according to the specs they are given?
Old 09-01-18, 06:24 PM

Well considering Microsoft budget and influence and effect, yes it is not unreasonable to expect that they have somewhere in their test lab old equipment.
On the other hand didn't MS fired all of their test people couple years ago
Old 09-01-18, 06:25 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM_RULZ View Post
So microsoft is supposed to have one of each chipset/cpu from the past 10 years? Or are the supposed to code according to the specs they are given?
Yes. It's their goddamn responsibility to make sure the software they have actually works. Every Intel chip is affected. They better make sure that the software they have works and protects a it's users. Not screw them over because they can't bother to test them right.

It's like asking a detective to not arrest a murderer after finding out that person murdered somebody. Finish the job.
Old 10-01-18, 05:13 PM

So, again, MS needs to have stock of hardware, that both intel and amd consider end of life and no longer support. I learn something everyday...
Old 10-01-18, 05:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
So, again, MS needs to have stock of hardware, that both intel and amd consider end of life and no longer support. I learn something everyday...
I'm just so glad that you understand how code works. And that you don't need the hardware itself at all, all you need to do is make sure the code for that specific chipset works properly from the code sent to you and the blueprints you have.

It's so nice seeing people who understand things. Refreshing even.

Who do you think you are? running 'round leaving scars. Collecting your jar of hearts, tearing love apart. You're gonna catch a cold, from the ice inside your soul, so don't come back for me, don't come back at all.
Old 10-01-18, 09:43 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm not sure you know how it all works... You don't need the hardware to code for it. You could program a calculator from Windows to run on Mac without having a Mac as an example
Old 11-01-18, 11:22 AM
OC3D Elite

This has just happened to mrs Tolemacs PC FX6300 and Asus M3+ mobo thank god I have a 4690k and a Z97 mobo to replace them

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 11-01-18, 12:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I'm not sure you know how it all works... You don't need the hardware to code for it. You could program a calculator from Windows to run on Mac without having a Mac as an example
Yup. I knew a guy who used to code emulators. In fact, I ended up living with him for a month. The way he used to do it was to reverse engineer it so you needed the board/components. He would "buzz them" and create a schematic. However, if you knew the schematic it was easy. Just emulated the components then "wire" them all together with code.

I am pretty sure that when a company such as Intel create a CPU/chipset/GPU etc etc that they then pass that code on to Microsoft. Or, in the very least provide all of the info and documents M$ need to add it to the kernel. Whether they are separate kernels or all apart of the same one all M$ then need to do is patch each chipset. Which yeah, is a crap ton of work but hey man, they are getting more than enough money for it and are one of the richest companies in the world.

But yeah, the idea that they would have one of every component released just lying around really does make me smile

Who do you think you are? running 'round leaving scars. Collecting your jar of hearts, tearing love apart. You're gonna catch a cold, from the ice inside your soul, so don't come back for me, don't come back at all.