Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 03-01-18, 11:31 AM
News Guru

Motherboard shipments are expected to drop by 10% this year

Decreases in motherboard shipments have been common since peak sales in 2013.

Read more about 2018's predicted decline in motherboard shipments.

Old 03-01-18, 11:41 AM
OC3D Elite

Over the next three years or so you can expect the demise of a couple of the big players. I reckon giga may go first, though MSI are not exactly living the life of luxury either. And with AMD bringing back some common sense it will just stop even more boards from selling.

I think people actually forgot (or just didn't know because they were too new) that BITD your board would last through several upgrade cycles. So for example AM2 went all the way from 1 core to 6 cores and Sempron, Athlon, Phenom etc.

Old 03-01-18, 03:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Was inevitable really, given the towards mobile devices, I just hope it does not kill off competition. but as people shift platform and your average gamer getting more savvy about life of gear I can see 1 or 2 players fall by the wayside. Oddly though, Bio-star seem to be making a resurgence with AM4, I had thought they were long gone with the likes of DFI
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 03-01-18, 03:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Biostar will probably be OK, because they are now the Asrock. Asrock built up into something big, now they only make the odd cheap board. That is where Biostar have come back into the market, but we don't really see them here (big in the USA though).

Foxconn have stopped, DFI stopped and etc. Gigabyte boards have been awful, not only corner cutting but also poor with voltage etc. So yeah, what with that and their recent horror show of GPUs I reckon they may go first. MSI have contracts with Alienware and god knows who else (I suspect Corsair, too) so they may hang in there. Either way I reckon they will still be making boards for Alienware etc. But yeah, Giga I am worried about. They seem to be making one cluster fudge after another and it is costing them.