Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 20-12-17, 03:14 PM
The Guvnor

Fractal Define R6 Review

It's new, it's sexy and it's from Fractal! Let's take a look at the Bottom Spankingly new Define R6 From Fractal.

Fractal Define R6 Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 20-12-17, 04:20 PM
OC3D Crew

Oh Fractal. This could have been the best case of the decade.

Things i like:
-All that Fractal white...
-White bezels on the glass. So many manufacturers (Lian Li, NZXT) just put black bezels on white cases. Not good. Thank you Fractal for not cheeping out on that.
-Modular front part. You can have R or S beautiful.

Epic fails:
-What is going on with the top? Why put that monstrosity there? Why eat up top radiator space? Just make it like Define S and give it magnetic filter in the box, and make moduvent from metal. No need for that bulky thing. You could have saved a lot of money from pintless tooling.
-Front.. OMG! Why put stupid CD drive bay and waste such a good case. Tom you said you wanted to mod that vent mesh onto it. Imagine white Meshify front on this one. I am getting funny feeling in my pants only by thinking about it.

Because of that transformer front thingy i assume that there wont be a new Define S. This is kinda both. All i think about now is how to bash metal mesh with a hammer just to make that front panel look good.

Every single review i saw of Meshify C was "How masterful is that front?!" and every comment was "Where is Meshify S?". And this case could be that one. And what does Fractal do? Slab a big BLACK metal plate on white case only to have CD drive bay in which you probably can't put ROG DAC, or Fan controller because the door wouldn't close over the knob. If there was no CD drive bay there would be no point for a door. And we could have white Meshyfy R5. Are you reading this Fractal???

I know R series was your most popular case. But that was decades ago. When we had 80GB HDDs and we needed 10 bays in the front so we can install games and have music on our system. And we needed CD drive bays, because internet was slow and games came in small plastic boxes. Cmon Fractal...

Tom please give me a hint if there will be Meshify S. I wont tell. PM me.
Old 20-12-17, 04:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Is it me or should this be the perfect case after six revisions? Or does the perfect case simply not exist?
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 20-12-17, 04:43 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
Is it me or should this be the perfect case after six revisions? Or does the perfect case simply not exist?
It does exist, and it is made by HEX-GEAR (in my opinion). This could be the one to take the throne (i'm a poet now) if only it had better front and top. Every other thing is perfect.
Old 20-12-17, 04:46 PM
OC3D Elite

I find Fractal cases boring as hell, and this looks to be no different. Great to work in for sure, but it's so boring looking, plain jane black box.

Old 20-12-17, 04:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
It does exist, and it is made by HEX-GEAR (in my opinion). This could be the one to take the throne (i'm a poet now) if only it had better front and top. Every other thing is perfect.
I can't say that HEX Gear don't make amazing cases, but I can't say they're perfect either.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 20-12-17, 04:56 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
I find Fractal cases boring as hell, and this looks to be no different. Great to work in for sure, but it's so boring looking, plain jane black box.
That is typical for Scandinavian design. Simple but stylish. They not Cougar Conquer, but i find them elegant. Taste is different for everyone, and it is not something that you can objectively compare.
Old 20-12-17, 05:11 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
I can't say that HEX Gear don't make amazing cases, but I can't say they're perfect either.
It is hard to define the perfect case. You have to please so many different builds. Many manufacturers try to please everyone, and try to follow every trend that they in the end screw up. For example everyone was praising Phanteks Evolv for that easy to install radiator bracket on top. bequiet! was then (to quote Tom) "Oooooh we must have that", and when they did have that they put it on Dark Base 700 which has 95% solid top with no vents. And they failed. You see manufacturers try to please the guy who wants RGB, PSU shroud, water cooling enthusiast, the guy who puts AIO in the top, one that is building home server, one that has no HDDs, and so on, and they fail.

HEX-GEAR has clear idea what their case should be and they have nailed it. Caselabs is getting there but they are still trying to do way too many things.
Old 20-12-17, 05:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
It is hard to define the perfect case. You have to please so many different builds. Many manufacturers try to please everyone, and try to follow every trend that they in the end screw up. For example everyone was praising Phanteks Evolv for that easy to install radiator bracket on top. bequiet! was then (to quote Tom) "Oooooh we must have that", and when they did have that they put it on Dark Base 700 which has 95% solid top with no vents. And they failed. You see manufacturers try to please the guy who wants RGB, PSU shroud, water cooling enthusiast, the guy who puts AIO in the top, one that is building home server, one that has no HDDs, and so on, and they fail.

HEX-GEAR has clear idea what their case should be and they have nailed it. Caselabs is getting there but they are still trying to do way too many things.
I don't agree with all of that, but I know what you're saying.
Old 20-12-17, 06:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
They certainly are not. A friend of mine on OCUK bought one and when it arrived none of it would line up. It may have had something to do with the fact it had "Made in China" slapped all over the box.

He was also very upset by the time it took to sort it out. IIRC they refused to send him a replacement and made him return it to Holland? before they would refund him. Not a pleasant experience TBH I was kinda disappointed at Hans for that.

They do look great, but most of what you have seen is not the actual case you end up with.

They're also very expensive too.

If you ever ask me something and feel insulted by what I said back ask yourself this.. Would you rather I pretend and give you the answer that is expected, or, tell you how it really is?