Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 13-11-17, 10:00 AM
News Guru

Nvidia's next GTX architecture is rumoured to be called Ampere, not Volta

Will Nvidia's compute and gaming cards be moving further in different directions?

Read more about Nvidia's rumoured Ampere GPU architecture.

Old 13-11-17, 04:09 PM
OC3D Elite

I would hazard a guess and say it's about the money. Volta right now is reserved for high end stuff and high end prices. Maybe they are splitting them up to keep Volta desirable at the top end.

It could also mean that Ampere could be quite cut down, given the lack of competition from AMD. I hope not, because I hate incremental drivel like Intel were doing before they got a Ryzen chop from Lisa Su.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 13-11-17, 05:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I would hazard a guess and say it's about the money. Volta right now is reserved for high end stuff and high end prices. Maybe they are splitting them up to keep Volta desirable at the top end.

It could also mean that Ampere could be quite cut down, given the lack of competition from AMD. I hope not, because I hate incremental drivel like Intel were doing before they got a Ryzen chop from Lisa Su.
I agree. Volta could be considered too high-end or too expensive to produce for the GeForce market, and not necessary. Maybe Ampere is a tweaked version of Volta without Tensor cores. We never did see the full fat GP100 in the GeForce sector and no one really missed it, so maybe Volta is going to remain for the compute market where it'll be in higher demand while a 'shrunken' version will become Ampere and be a successor to Pascal that's more about DX12 features and increased clock speed and efficiency.

I don't see Nvidia pulling an Intel personally. We might not see 50-100% gain with each generation, but as long as prices are kept reasonable I think it'll be a worthy upgrade for Maxwell and even some Pascal owners. The days of 100%+ improvements between GPU generations I think are gone. For whatever reason I think it's gone. Personally I don't think we need 100% growth between generations. Games just aren't demanding enough at 1080p, the most popular resolution.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 13-11-17, 09:59 PM
OC3D Crew

Well of cause it's about money. As the article says. Why spend money on Tensor cores for gamers, that can't use them.
Old 13-11-17, 10:37 PM
AMD Enthusiast

So basically no reason to upgrade. Just a refresh on a smaller node and probably with HBM 2 on high end cards.
Old 14-11-17, 08:54 PM
OC3D Elite

I won't indulge such a cryptic rumor other than stating that the site it originated from seems to have pulled it from thin air; there's no credible information nor source.
Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero | Intel Core i7-8700K 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 | G.Skill Trident Z 3333MHz CL16 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p | Windows 10 Pro x64
Old 14-11-17, 09:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I don't see Nvidia pulling an Intel personally.
I really hate saying this but I do. I totally do. At some point Nvidia realised that they were doing a tortoise and a hare (they were the hare) and they have now realised that they can slow down a bit and take the pee. As I say, I hate HATE saying this but the 1070Ti was their clear message that this is what they are doing.

They released a card on the tech they have had out for ages and ages that was pretty "meh" but did a basic purpose and that was to get sales back from AMD. I really can't see them rushing anything forward now like they have been for the past few years. From Kepler* and on they have been in a quite clear lead in some shape or form and IMO there really was no need to push on and release Pascal and etc so fast.

*I know that later on the 7970 drivers matured and put it back in front of Kepler, but the 670 for example was just so much nicer to live with. I bought a 7970 stock card at launch and it was hot, loud and uncouth. Especially when you consider that the 670 used about half of the power, got half as hot and was nearly as fast.

So yeah, I think we all need to face up to the fact that at some point, even if not right now, Nvidia are going to capitalise on their lead and release incremental bolacks.

Old 14-11-17, 10:01 PM
OC3D Crew

Old 15-11-17, 05:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I really hate saying this but I do. I totally do. At some point Nvidia realised that they were doing a tortoise and a hare (they were the hare) and they have now realised that they can slow down a bit and take the pee. As I say, I hate HATE saying this but the 1070Ti was their clear message that this is what they are doing.

They released a card on the tech they have had out for ages and ages that was pretty "meh" but did a basic purpose and that was to get sales back from AMD. I really can't see them rushing anything forward now like they have been for the past few years. From Kepler* and on they have been in a quite clear lead in some shape or form and IMO there really was no need to push on and release Pascal and etc so fast.

*I know that later on the 7970 drivers matured and put it back in front of Kepler, but the 670 for example was just so much nicer to live with. I bought a 7970 stock card at launch and it was hot, loud and uncouth. Especially when you consider that the 670 used about half of the power, got half as hot and was nearly as fast.

So yeah, I think we all need to face up to the fact that at some point, even if not right now, Nvidia are going to capitalise on their lead and release incremental bolacks.
And what happens when Nvidia take the back seat and pull an Intel, offering 5-15% uplift between each generation? Will AMD take five years to create Navi like it took to create Ryzen? This is the biggest flaw to your argument: If Nvidia stop producing worthy investments, AMD will take over. Navi is supposedly already taped out; they're likely just waiting on things like the 7nm process. Vega offers roughly 20-40% performance increase over Fiji. If Volta/Ampere is only 10-30% performance increase over Pascal for the same price as Pascal, Navi could step up and offer 20-40% or more. Nvidia then lose money and AMD gain additional income for their R&D budget, thus increasing their performance lead even further with their next generation. Game developers code more for their GPUs and the gap widens even further.

The main reasons—at least that we can see—for Intel not offering any real tangible performance gains between architectures was, firstly, because they have a bigger mind share than Nvidia do, secondly, because Bulldozer was such a resounding failure (Polaris, Fiji, Hawaii, Vega, none of them are resounding failures; they're just a little misplaced), because higher performing CPUs (read: cores) were not necessary in the gaming sector, and finally because Ryzen took so long to come to the market. Nvidia doesn't have the mind share of Intel, is up against tougher competition from RTG (Hawaii, Fiji, Polaris, Vega, all good GPUs with a lot of potential that was sadly not fully utilised because game developers were choosing to optimise for Nvidia), and because GPU performance for gaming is in higher demand than CPU performance.

It would be foolish for Nvidia to pull an Intel now, and I don't think they're foolish. They might slow down, but that's not pulling an Intel. You'd have to stoop much, much lower to become Intel.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 15-11-17, 07:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Right now we have a rough idea of what Navi is. Well, we can guess. It's multiple Polaris on one core. So right now it would be about as helpful as a wet tissue. Until they launch the tech into consoles it will be useless.

That is where AMD are headed, and I am pretty certain Nvidia made the same noises too. We are headed into a world of dual/quad core GPUs and beyond.

So until that happens? Nvidia can lap it up in the sunshine with 5% BS like Intel did for all of those years.

Honestly pulling an Intel will only lead to more $. Why give things away when you don't need to? why not just rinse it?

Edit as an example to that rinsing, right. We were promised Volta. We were even given a release date for Volta. Now it's Ampere. Was that mentioned before Vega came out? nope, didn't think so.

So they have already pulled an Intel.