Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 10-11-17, 04:13 PM
News Guru

Samsung announces GDDR6 memory with 16 Gbps speeds

Higher speeds and lower operating voltages than GDDR5.

Read more on Samsung's new GDDR6 memory.

Old 10-11-17, 06:40 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Gonna be super expensive. Wonder what the benefit is over HBM long term
Old 10-11-17, 10:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Gonna super expensive. Wonder what the benefit is over HBM long term
Yeah, I'm curious how it will compare against HBM, at least in gaming applications. The bandwidth of HBM allows Vega and Fiji to really scale well with higher resolutions, something Nvidia falls behind in, at least with the 256-bit cards. I'd like to see the GTX xx80 cards come stock with more bandwidth in the future. GDDR5X somewhat mitigates it, but HBM is still the king for higher resolution, with the Titan and Ti cards coming behind.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 11-11-17, 02:11 AM
AMD Enthusiast

I'm also curious to see how GDDR6 will stack against(pun intended) HBM2 outside of consumer/gamer applications as well. I think HBM still has a while to go before becoming mainstream so I personally think while 6 is gonna be expensive, it'll be cheaper still than HBM and therefore be on every Nvidia card in the foreseeable future.
I think AMD will shoot themselves in the foot and stick with HBM for the high end. They have become so architecturally attached at this point I don't see them ditching there designs and doing a complete flip flop.
Old 11-11-17, 01:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I'm also curious to see how GDDR6 will stack against(pun intended) HBM2 outside of consumer/gamer applications as well. I think HBM still has a while to go before becoming mainstream so I personally think while 6 is gonna be expensive, it'll be cheaper still than HBM and therefore be on every Nvidia card in the foreseeable future.
I think AMD will shoot themselves in the foot and stick with HBM for the high end. They have become so architecturally attached at this point I don't see them ditching there designs and doing a complete flip flop.
Especially since it was admitted that HBM was actually necessary to keep the TDP down, which is saying a lot since Vega is already so far behind Pascal in that front and Fiji was behind Maxwell.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX