Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 07-11-17, 10:19 PM
News Guru

Raja Koduri has left AMD

Raja Koduri, the head of AMD's Radeon Technologies Group, has left the company.

Read more on Raja Koduri leaving AMD.

Old 07-11-17, 10:30 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

In Retrospect, his intro speech during the Vega launch event kinda gave you that feeling, he sure has worked his ass off all these past years, maybe it's a good time to take a big break from everything and focus on spending time with his family. I guess, it has a name, it's called "research fatigue", timelines and schedules are pretty tight and when you fail to deliver to the exact specs it's nerve racking... At the Faculty we have 5-6 professors that had a huge career in companies like IBM, Microsoft, HP even the Max Planck Institute project leaders and such and they've all quit it for the more laid back professors life and family time...

It's not like Raja will have a hard time being accepted to a job....

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 07-11-17, 10:32 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Pretty sad to hear. He really put them in order and got everything on track.
I figured there stock would drop but so far it's no change.
Old 07-11-17, 10:50 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Pretty sad to hear. He really put them in order and got everything on track.
I figured there stock would drop but so far it's no change.
I think that that the stock exchange is closed at this time, I think they open at 8 in the morning, when it's 8 in the morning in NY that is
Old 07-11-17, 11:08 PM
OC3D Elite

TBH this doesn't surprise me when I first heard he was taking a break I really thought it meant he was leaving
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=Asus X370 ROG Crosshair VI Hero=16gig 3200Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 08-11-17, 01:28 AM

Rumors are he has landed a job at Intel
Old 08-11-17, 02:39 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
AMD is the only thing stopping Nvidia from charging £699 for a 1070 type card, And we all know they would if they could get away with it, We all better hope AMD's GPU arm stays afloat, Especially if you're an Nvidia customer.
Old 08-11-17, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ1mech View Post
That could make sense if the rumour is true with the up and coming joint venture between Intel and AMD
Old 08-11-17, 11:47 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelosouvlakia View Post
In Retrospect, his intro speech during the Vega launch event kinda gave you that feeling, he sure has worked his ass off all these past years, maybe it's a good time to take a big break from everything and focus on spending time with his family. I guess, it has a name, it's called "research fatigue", timelines and schedules are pretty tight and when you fail to deliver to the exact specs it's nerve racking... At the Faculty we have 5-6 professors that had a huge career in companies like IBM, Microsoft, HP even the Max Planck Institute project leaders and such and they've all quit it for the more laid back professors life and family time...

It's not like Raja will have a hard time being accepted to a job....
Yeah, at every major press event he hosted he always talked about his family and being away from them a lot. That would get to a guy after a while.

Quote:
Hard to know if there is any truth to that. AMD is sure to have a non-compete clause in his severance package. That being said, California, where Intel is based, dies not support anti-compete clauses, so who knows.

There is also the fact that the said "As I think about how computing will evolve, I feel more and more that I want to pursue my passion beyond hardware and explore driving broader solutions."

"Beyond Hardware" does not suggest that he plans on moving to another hardware company.
Old 08-11-17, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Got any source to back that up? As WYP said, I can guarantee AMD would have a non-competing clause in his contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
AMD is the only thing stopping Nvidia from charging £699 for a 1070 type card, And we all know they would if they could get away with it, We all better hope AMD's GPU arm stays afloat, Especially if you're an Nvidia customer.
Glad to see someone else sees the bigger picture. I'm sad for Raja but at the same time, this could be a breath of fresh air that helps AMD after Navi. Which is what I'm praying for, they've really shook up the CPU market, just need the same for the GPU market.