Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 02-11-17, 02:05 PM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is offline
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 20,423
ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 Ti Review



Following on from our preview of the Strix we finally unleash the results from their cage and see how the ASUS card compared to the Founders Edition.


ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 Ti Review

__________________
If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW


Get along or run along. Your choice
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-17, 04:02 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 8,679
Blimey now that's more like it ! thanks Guv !
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins




Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-17, 04:19 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,020
I feel like there's something wrong here. In multiple benchmarks (Hitman, GOW4, Ashes) the 1070Ti Strix is beating the 1080 Strix. How can that be? I think you might need to retest some of these as something is obviously weird.
__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-11-17, 04:46 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 8,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I feel like there's something wrong here. In multiple benchmarks (Hitman, GOW4, Ashes) the 1070Ti Strix is beating the 1080 Strix. How can that be? I think you might need to retest some of these as something is obviously weird.
Drivers maybe. When the 1080 came out it wasn't that hot in DX12. You also need to remember, the 1080 has been out for a long time now, and drivers will absolutely no doubt have improved since.

Well, unless Tom tested them all again for the review.
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins




Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-17, 05:50 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Drivers maybe. When the 1080 came out it wasn't that hot in DX12. You also need to remember, the 1080 has been out for a long time now, and drivers will absolutely no doubt have improved since.

Well, unless Tom tested them all again for the review.
This is a big issue with video card benchmarks in my opinion. Instead of having the most up-to-date information for each review (within reason), we have to cross-reference the data with another review of a more up-to-date card. So in this case I'm using Guru3D's review of the 1070Ti. I've gone to the Hitman benchmark, and instead of using their supplied graphs, I provide my own. As in, I take a more recent GTX 1080 review posted by them a couple of months ago and compared the two cards with that data rather than the original 1080 review from mid-2016. At 1440p, the 1070Ti scored 100 FPS in Hitman, while the 1080 scored 114 FPS. That's more indicative of what most people should be seeing. I did the same with GOW4 and the 1080 was 13% faster than the 1070Ti. Again, a more expected and accurate result.
__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-11-17, 07:19 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 8,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
This is a big issue with video card benchmarks in my opinion. Instead of having the most up-to-date information for each review (within reason), we have to cross-reference the data with another review of a more up-to-date card. So in this case I'm using Guru3D's review of the 1070Ti. I've gone to the Hitman benchmark, and instead of using their supplied graphs, I provide my own. As in, I take a more recent GTX 1080 review posted by them a couple of months ago and compared the two cards with that data rather than the original 1080 review from mid-2016. At 1440p, the 1070Ti scored 100 FPS in Hitman, while the 1080 scored 114 FPS. That's more indicative of what most people should be seeing. I did the same with GOW4 and the 1080 was 13% faster than the 1070Ti. Again, a more expected and accurate result.
Yeah it's kinda sucky but I can totally understand it. First you would need to basically keep every single card you review (most go on to other reviewers) and then you would need to test every single one again and again.

I didn't expect the Ti to beat the 1080. We all knew it wouldn't really. It was just to make the higher mid range cheaper. The 1070 IMO is starting to creak and show its age now, not being any faster than the old gen high end. We needed something just that bit better.

Tis a good release by Nvidia, I just hope the prices are right.
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins




Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-11-17, 07:38 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Yeah it's kinda sucky but I can totally understand it. First you would need to basically keep every single card you review (most go on to other reviewers) and then you would need to test every single one again and again.
But you don't. Have one aftermarket (or reference) of each SKU and rebench that every 4-6 months (or whenever there is a purported gain to be had with a new driver). TTL and others review dozens of different versions of the same GPU. You don't need that as they all perform so close to each other. You only need one as a more accurate frame of reference. You don't even have to publish the data until it's needed. Whenever you have a moment spare, throw in a 1060 (this is with the assumption that you're allowed to keep at least one GPU from each SKU) and run the benchmarks again. You might even only need to do older games like Ashes and Hitman because of DX12, while Ghost Recon is a newer title and still uses DX11. I imagine initial drivers were quite good for the game.
__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-17, 08:16 PM
Greenback's Avatar
Greenback Greenback is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
But you don't. Have one aftermarket (or reference) of each SKU and rebench that every 4-6 months
When you consider Tom says it takes about an hour per test and just looking there would be 10 cards depending how far back, it would need to be an aftermarket considering AMD's reference are normally the worse cards, and if Tom did Asus strix he already gets enough hate and accusations of Asus payroll, and when they top the graph because the latest test was on the newest drivers. ( I say Asus because they are the ones who send Tom everything they have new).

Though I do find something like this would be interesting for older gen cards to see if they improved or like Barnsley found performance had fallen with the newer drivers
__________________
CASE: NZXT H440 white
CPU: RYZEN 1500x, H100i GTX
MB: MSI TOMAHAWK ARCTIC
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
OS: CRUCIAL MX100 250GB
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-17, 08:50 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 13,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
When you consider Tom says it takes about an hour per test and just looking there would be 10 cards depending how far back, it would need to be an aftermarket considering AMD's reference are normally the worse cards, and if Tom did Asus strix he already gets enough hate and accusations of Asus payroll, and when they top the graph because the latest test was on the newest drivers. ( I say Asus because they are the ones who send Tom everything they have new).

Though I do find something like this would be interesting for older gen cards to see if they improved or like Barnsley found performance had fallen with the newer drivers
Don't need every card retested. Just a few. 1070/70ti/80/ Vega 56/64. Nothing else is really relevant
__________________
"I would have followed you, my Captain, my King."
- Boromir's last words.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-17, 09:25 PM
Greenback's Avatar
Greenback Greenback is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Don't need every card retested. Just a few. 1070/70ti/80/ Vega 56/64. Nothing else is really relevant

Though I agree to a point, I'm looking at someone coming looking for a card and the gap between a 1060 looking so big it makes it look obsolete
__________________
CASE: NZXT H440 white
CPU: RYZEN 1500x, H100i GTX
MB: MSI TOMAHAWK ARCTIC
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
OS: CRUCIAL MX100 250GB
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 12:26 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.