Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 09-10-17, 04:26 PM
News Guru

Gamers launch a petition to regulate "loot boxes" in video games

Many gamers consider "loot boxes" as a form of gambling.

Read more on the UK's Government being petitioned to regulate in-game "loot boxes".

Old 09-10-17, 05:57 PM

Yes! I was thinking about setting up a petition for this.
Old 09-10-17, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Signed. This really needs to be brought to heel and treated the way it should be for what it is.
Old 09-10-17, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Happily signed. Really grinds my gears about how a lot of games have become pay to win because of it. Plus I see no difference between lootboxes and a fruit machine

Main Rig
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.8GHz | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue 3200 MHz
XFX RX 480 8GB | 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 2 x 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Corsair Carbide 400C
Side Rig (Will be complete.. Sometime)
Phenom II X4 955 | Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 | Cooler TBC | RAM 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz | XFX Radeon HD 6850
SSD TBC | HDD TBC | PSU TBC | Case TBC
Old 09-10-17, 07:21 PM
AMD Enthusiast

People are this upset? Pretty sad tbh.
"Vulnerable adults" LMAO really? The people to dumb should be held accountable by the companies?
I get children, but then again in order for them to buy things they need their "vulnerable parents" to do so.

Lootboxes are fine so long as they can be bought for a fair price with in game currency and nobody gets an advantage whether it's bought with currency or real money using Shadow of War is a terrible example and clearly shows how over reactive gamers are when it's not even out yet.

in a F2P game that's out the window. They need money to keep games going. How else they going to make money? This should not apply to them.
Gamers sure are a... Let's say "passionate" group.
Old 09-10-17, 07:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Over time we been getting less and less in our games, now we even have to open up multiple boxes to get a set of clothes,equipment and even PAINT COLORS, and its all based on rng that happily gives duplicates that are useless and its all because of dumb greed, i detest these practices and just looking objectively at what publishers are doing, it is just awful.

Personally i don't care if people gamble, their money is their money, not even for minors, they either get taught gambling is dumb or learn it the hard way, but, just the sheer greed on display here is the worst thing that's happening atm, games get sanctioned off and content gets cut to be sold in season passes and if you want to customize your character, a thing that been very common in games for a long time and never cost anything, is now rng bs with a paywall if you want it directly.

To bad i can't sign this, as i don't live in the uk.
Old 09-10-17, 07:45 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
Over time we been getting less and less in our games, now we even have to open up multiple boxes to get a set of clothes,equipment and even PAINT COLORS, and its all based on rng that happily gives duplicates that are useless and its all because of dumb greed, i detest these practices and just looking objectively at what publishers are doing, it is just awful.

Personally i don't care if people gamble, their money is their money, not even for minors, they either get taught gambling is dumb or learn it the hard way, but, just the sheer greed on display here is the worst thing that's happening atm, games get sanctioned off and content gets cut to be sold in season passes and if you want to customize your character, a thing that been very common in games for a long time and never cost anything, is now rng bs with a paywall if you want it directly.

To bad i can't sign this, as i don't live in the uk.
The games that do the skin selling for money are more often than not F2P. You can't expect them to never make money off of it.
Times are changing. People need to realize that. So many people are stuck in the "back in my gaming days" nostalgia yet outside of gaming, the old people that do that, people let it go and think "just old and grumpy" people not liking how today is. It's hypocritical.
I'm not saying I condone fully paid games selling content as DLC less than a month after release or using a popular item(like Rome 2 with Sparta as pre order DLC) that people love as DLC, but I do think this is an over reaction in general.
Old 09-10-17, 07:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
The games that do the skin selling for money are more often than not F2P. You can't expect them to never make money off of it.
Times are changing. People need to realize that. So many people are stuck in the "back in my gaming days" nostalgia yet outside of gaming, the old people that do that, people let it go and think "just old and grumpy" people not liking how today is. It's hypocritical.
I'm not saying I condone fully paid games selling content as DLC less than a month after release or using a popular item(like Rome 2 with Sparta as pre order DLC) that people love as DLC, but I do think this is an over reaction in general.
Look, f2p games can sell skins all they want, i don't have a problem with that and i support it as it keeps that game alive, however now you getting a chance on getting a PART of that skin, what used to be a buy entire skin for x ammount of money has boiled down to rng on a loot box, however F2P kinda gets away with it as they also often have a ingame currency that can be used for that purpose.

But, full price premium games start doing it now, in singleplayer games! surely you agree that this is just insane, pay up front and then they try to make you spend more on stuff that used to be free, also nothing to do with nostalgia, these practices are just awful no matter how you slice it, changing markets is one thing, making your customers gamble for cosmetic and stats based stuff is another.
Old 09-10-17, 09:24 PM
AMD Enthusiast

What single player game is doing this though?
Star Wars is a given. Disney wants money and only care about money my that's why they bought it in the first place. That's not a game development problem but more of the owners. That "greed" and hatred towards them is Ill placed. Yes the emotional response to it is right, but targeting the Devs themselves is more ignorance than anything. Disney on that one totally deserves it.
Forza is another example that has recently been brought up. I blame MS. Turn 10 doesn't have a bad history of these things. But MS avoiding questions and giving vague answers as a response to criticism gives me that reason.

Finally the last example which started it all is Shadow of War. Which is DEFINITELY misplaced criticism. Yeah it's "annoying" but in comparison to any other AAA company they are definitely not a big one in terms of size and money value. They can get away with it to stay afloat. That doesn't mean they are immune, but they walked a fine line and didn't cross it. They did the "microtransactions" right. Yeah single player only game but who cares. It's there if you don't want to play and want to speed rush. Everything that you can buy and you can earn. Nothing is hidden and they give you pretty clear descriptions of what you are actually going to be getting. Yeah there's RNG but some of it is guaranteed. That's more than other games.
It's also been documented more than once by review sites that the game doesn't feel like it's forcing you to get it or need to get it. They've said it's balanced and you don't only get Legendary orcs from lootboxes. Their are some in the world already and while less of them exist(obvious reasons) they aren't extint.

So out of the games that have been listed, only one deserves a pass. The others? All have in common one thing. Massive owners who have basically endless amount of cash and want to rip people off more. Disney and MS. Even Ubisoft is less greedy!
I'm not saying I like it. However I think gamers are the most overly dramatic group of people (outside of females of course) and definitely the most elitist, so in general I think this petition is dumb, my opinion, and while I agree the petitions intentions are good, the blame is misplaced.
Old 10-10-17, 09:18 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Loot boxes such as the ones in Battlefront 2, Shadow of War etc.... should only be found in F2P games as a means of generating revenue for more content down the road or simply paying the devs of said F2P game, Not in games that cost $60.