Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 25-09-17, 03:54 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 16,022
Intel's i9 7980XE has been successfully overclocked to 6.1GHz on all 18 cores

The CPU consumed over 1000W under load at these clock speeds and presented surprisingly high temperatures under LN2 cooling.



Read more on Intel's i9 7980XE being overclocked to 6.1GHz on all cores.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25-09-17, 04:01 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,878
Paints = points.

Over 1kw is insane lol
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25-09-17, 04:21 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
Old N Gold
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,727
the 7980XE reviews are actually quite impressive. We all knew it was going to be a beast, but it doesn't seem like shoehorned in product as much as I thought it would.
__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26-09-17, 12:17 AM
Elooder Elooder is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 16
7980XE still is a somewhat shoehorned product. It is an actual Xeon CPU rebranded and tweaked (modified) to fit the HEDT market. Now, Xeon CPUs are well-known for their reliability which implies high quality, higher than any desktop CPU, with Intel employing additional testing and certification (which, among other factors, is the reason for them being as expensive as they are), making sure they are the best CPUs Intel has to offer. So, best silicon, more testing, higher quality all of which would easily translate into high overclockability which we see here but let's not ignore the fact it was pulling 1000W and heating LN2 to above 0 which means it's only the quality of the dies that is "holding the CPU together".
Also, let's not ignore the fact that the architecture in that CPU is less new than some previous generations of Intel CPUs which begs the questions - "Where were you Intel?" and "Why now?". Ah yes, competition. So, how long would it have been before we saw something like this had AMD not released a CPU which may not beat this in performance but surely does in features, price and hence - value. And you can have two AMD Threadrippers for the price of one 7980XE and two Threadrippers wipe the floor with the 7980XE in performance.
Heck, forget AMD, forget Threadripper. You can have two 18-core/36-thread Intel CPUs on ONE board, overclocked, for less than one 7980XE. That would wipe the floor with the 7980XE in performance as well.
So yes, 7980XE is a jerk reaction and Intel's fear of competition for which it's definitely "shoehorned".
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26-09-17, 06:06 AM
Kaapstad's Avatar
Kaapstad Kaapstad is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Skaro visiting family
Posts: 1,987
I really find these LN2 articles a bit pointless as they mean very little.

Unless the end user can use a cooling solution 24/7 like custom water for example it means absolutely nothing.

Even if you could overclock a 7980XE to 50 ghz on LN2 it is totally pointless as the average end user will still only get around 4.4 to 4.6 on water.
__________________
OC3D Overclockers Club Member
#041

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26-09-17, 06:28 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is online now
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 16,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
I really find these LN2 articles a bit pointless as they mean very little.

Unless the end user can use a cooling solution 24/7 like custom water for example it means absolutely nothing.

Even if you could overclock a 7980XE to 50 ghz on LN2 it is totally pointless as the average end user will still only get around 4.4 to 4.6 on water.
I bet you're a buzz kill at a party going around explaining why alcohol is bad for people and that people at said party should stop drinking because it's not logical to poison your body.
You forget it's about having fun.
Kinda like this.

It's just for world records... Who cares about the average user? It's a world record! It's a fun hobby.

I'd also wager if they clocked this at 50ghz you'd be impressed.
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26-09-17, 06:32 AM
Kaapstad's Avatar
Kaapstad Kaapstad is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Skaro visiting family
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I bet you're a buzz kill at a party going around explaining why alcohol is bad for people and that people at said party should stop drinking because it's not logical to poison your body.
You forget it's about having fun.
Kinda like this.

It's just for world records... Who cares about the average user? It's a world record! It's a fun hobby.

I'd also wager if they clocked this at 50ghz you'd be impressed.
I like lots of alcohol as that is something an average user can do !!!
__________________
OC3D Overclockers Club Member
#041

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26-09-17, 07:49 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is online now
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 16,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
I like lots of alcohol as that is something an average user can do !!!
That went right over your head
This isn't about the average user. You don't become a famous overclocker because you are average.

Could also be said all the overclocking you do is beyond a average user. You have probably more hardware bought than the average PC gamer will in his lifetime(except Dice) That's far above average as well. Sure you can say that the average person doesn't need to buy as much to OC, but it could also be argued the average person doesn't even use water cooling either. Which further means your argument for average is titled into your point of view of what your average actually is. PC gaming isn't a niche market, but water cooling is.
We could go on and on about it, but this is article is about how mentally insane it is to have an 18core CPU consuming over 1000 watts. It's just a very interesting article and honestly a technical achievement by both Intel and Roman.
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26-09-17, 09:40 AM
Kaapstad's Avatar
Kaapstad Kaapstad is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Skaro visiting family
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
That went right over your head
This isn't about the average user. You don't become a famous overclocker because you are average.

Could also be said all the overclocking you do is beyond a average user. You have probably more hardware bought than the average PC gamer will in his lifetime(except Dice) That's far above average as well. Sure you can say that the average person doesn't need to buy as much to OC, but it could also be argued the average person doesn't even use water cooling either. Which further means your argument for average is titled into your point of view of what your average actually is. PC gaming isn't a niche market, but water cooling is.
We could go on and on about it, but this is article is about how mentally insane it is to have an 18core CPU consuming over 1000 watts. It's just a very interesting article and honestly a technical achievement by both Intel and Roman.

I am actually very disappointed with EVGA at the moment as the Kingpin 1080 Ti is a bit of a flop with performance no better than my FE 1080 Ti cards.

I was going to get some Kingpins but the lack of performance killed that idea.

I have invested the money in other more exciting toys that will be with me in the next couple of weeks.
__________________
OC3D Overclockers Club Member
#041

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26-09-17, 09:44 AM
SPS SPS is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 6,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
I really find these LN2 articles a bit pointless as they mean very little.

Unless the end user can use a cooling solution 24/7 like custom water for example it means absolutely nothing.

Even if you could overclock a 7980XE to 50 ghz on LN2 it is totally pointless as the average end user will still only get around 4.4 to 4.6 on water.
Surely there's some useful relative comparison between chips?
If one chip can do 6GHz on LN2 and has been know to do 4.5GHz on water 24/7, is it more likely that a new chip doing 6.5GHz on LN2 could do say 4.8GHz on water 24/7? I guess you can compare benches on water, possibly not 24/7 stable.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 04:52 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.