Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 25-09-17, 01:09 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,796
Report claims that there is "no reason" why Z370 can't support Kaby Lake

Intel has reportedly restricted Z370's firmware to prevent backwards compatibility.



Read more on Intel's reported restriction of backwards compatibility on Z370.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25-09-17, 03:02 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Under Your Bed
Posts: 13,121
I know the reason, Greed, Plain and simple, Greed.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26-09-17, 09:34 AM
Gothmoth Gothmoth is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 219
LOL....

Quote:
It is understandable why Intel would restrict Z370 in this way, provided this information is true, as Z370 backwards compatibility would add a lot of confusion into the mix, likely causing many to assume that Z270 or even Z170 motherboards also support Coffee Lake, given their use of the same LGA 1151 socket design.
yeah and as we all know avoiding confusion is a top priority at intel.

that is why we get kaby lake-x cpus who can only use half the memory slots on x299.
and all the PCI lane mess on x299 is all to avoid confusion.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26-09-17, 09:47 AM
Kaapstad's Avatar
Kaapstad Kaapstad is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Skaro visiting family
Posts: 1,981
Too much backwards compatibility in intel CPUs which makes them slow and clumsy compared to newer options.
__________________
OC3D Overclockers Club Member
#041

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-17, 04:09 PM
TheF34RChannel's Avatar
TheF34RChannel TheF34RChannel is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,080
For those haters immediately jumping to conclusions:

Coffee Lake vs KBL/SKL Pin Diagrams: 146 vs 128 VCC Pins

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/co...46_vs_128_vcc/

And more here: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Coffee...Grund-1240154/

Translation: Intel had allocated some pins, which had previously supplied the integrated graphics unit with power, to the CPU cores. In addition, there have been unused pins, which are already used by the motherboard manufacturers for voltage supply. On the Z270 boards, Intel had assigned this a fixed function. The result: Coffee-Lake S-CPUs could literally burn on high-end Z270 models, because they got too high tensions over these pins.

Now let's give this a rest.
__________________
Asus Z370 MXH | 8700K 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 | G.Skill Trident Z 3333MHz CL16 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | Acer XB270HU 1440p | Win10 Pro x64
We call ourselves legion, for many we be. So hand me your kingdom, I'll take it from here. And dare no one break from, my circles of fear

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-17, 04:21 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Under Your Bed
Posts: 13,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
For those haters immediately jumping to conclusions:

Coffee Lake vs KBL/SKL Pin Diagrams: 146 vs 128 VCC Pins

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/co...46_vs_128_vcc/

And more here: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Coffee...Grund-1240154/

Translation: Intel had allocated some pins, which had previously supplied the integrated graphics unit with power, to the CPU cores. In addition, there have been unused pins, which are already used by the motherboard manufacturers for voltage supply. On the Z270 boards, Intel had assigned this a fixed function. The result: Coffee-Lake S-CPUs could literally burn on high-end Z270 models, because they got too high tensions over these pins.

Now let's give this a rest.
Or looking at in from a neutral point of view instead of labelling everyone a hater that criticises a brand, Maybe a lot of people have simply gotten used to Intels new socket every year tactic which in some cases was a bit unnecessary.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-17, 07:32 PM
TheF34RChannel's Avatar
TheF34RChannel TheF34RChannel is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Or looking at in from a neutral point of view instead of labelling everyone a hater that criticises a brand, Maybe a lot of people have simply gotten used to Intels new socket every year tactic which in some cases was a bit unnecessary.
Not everyone, only those who like derailing threads with nonsense across multiple fora

Even if the above wasn't a fact, I'm aware that either or both Intel and board vendors would have still refrained from compatibility; they need to make money at the end of the day.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-17, 08:10 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
they need to make money at the end of the day.
Don't you think they make enough then?
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-17, 08:36 PM
TheF34RChannel's Avatar
TheF34RChannel TheF34RChannel is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Don't you think they make enough then?
Have you heard of a company saying "yeah we've made enough, let's not do this or that"? Or better still, you tell your boss to halve your salary this month because you made enough? I find that pretty naive.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-17, 10:10 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
Have you heard of a company saying "yeah we've made enough, let's not do this or that"? Or better still, you tell your boss to halve your salary this month because you made enough? I find that pretty naive.
That was not his point.

He is saying they make enough off screwing people with higher costing products YET are making more per CPU sold due to a higher profit margin per CPU sold. They are increasing costs and making it cheaper for themselves. So the question is, why are they charging more? They should easily be able to maintain the prices and still retain a higher margin than previously without the need to do the latter and then increase price on top of it.
__________________
The Cost of Freedom -
"A price payed gladly, in the hopes that the free, live better."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 02:22 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.