Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 21-09-17, 08:47 AM
News Guru

AMD plans to transition to 12nm for Vega and Ryzen products in 2018

This is a roadmap improvement over what AMD previously called 14nm+

Read more on AMD's plans to move Vega and Ryzen to 12nm in early 2018.

Old 21-09-17, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

I'd say best move would be to try and increase Ryzen's stock speeds up to 4GHz and improve Vega's effeciency. I know 2nm doesn't sound like much but every little helps

Main Rig
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.8GHz | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue 3200 MHz
XFX RX 480 8GB | 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 2 x 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Corsair Carbide 400C
Side Rig (Will be complete.. Sometime)
Phenom II X4 955 | Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 | Cooler TBC | RAM 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz | XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB
SSD TBC | HDD TBC | PSU TBC | Case TBC
Old 21-09-17, 11:50 AM
OC3D Elite

It makes me wonder whether people on the verge of upgrading should wait.
Old 21-09-17, 02:57 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
It makes me wonder whether people on the verge of upgrading should wait.
2018 is still a long way away, if you play the waiting game like that you will end up waiting forever.
Old 21-09-17, 03:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
2018 is still a long way away, if you play the waiting game like that you will end up waiting forever.
Yeah, that's always the worry. I have no problem buying Ryzen now, but Vega is so not what I wanted it to be that I'm considering waiting for at least Vega on 12nm. Doubtful that I will though as there's no guarantee it'll actually improve anything in any meaningful way.
Old 21-09-17, 03:39 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, that's always the worry. I have no problem buying Ryzen now, but Vega is so not what I wanted it to be that I'm considering waiting for at least Vega on 12nm. Doubtful that I will though as there's no guarantee it'll actually improve anything in any meaningful way.
It won't really help them. It will probably focus on voltage or something like that instead of performance
Old 21-09-17, 03:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
It won't really help them. It will probably focus on voltage or something like that instead of performance
When you say performance, do you mean FPS? I'm thinking more about lower temperatures.
Old 21-09-17, 03:45 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
When you say performance, do you mean FPS? I'm thinking more about lower temperatures.
Yeah. I guess it could lead to temperatures if they could lower voltage.
Old 23-09-17, 04:13 PM

Quote:
You have to wait for the custom Vega cards before judging Vega. Remember that the reference R9 290X were also pretty bad, and there weren't any reference Fury cards either, only custom. Once the Strix Vega 56 and 64 arrive (as well as other custom coolers) and we're able to measure their temperature and noise, that's when we can actually evaluate them. Because those with a custom 290/290X/390/390X are really happy with them.

I had a Strix Fury (sent to RMA, waiting for a Strix Vega) and that card was extremely cool and silent, HBM rules, so I'm actually quite optimistic for the Strix Vega. The Strix Fury doesn't start its fans under 60º Celsius, so I rarely had them turning on during gaming, and when I did, I wouldn't even notice. Only when mining Ethereum did I notice, but they were so quiet that my wife had no idea what I was doing.
Old 23-09-17, 08:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zealot View Post
You have to wait for the custom Vega cards before judging Vega. Remember that the reference R9 290X were also pretty bad, and there weren't any reference Fury cards either, only custom. Once the Strix Vega 56 and 64 arrive (as well as other custom coolers) and we're able to measure their temperature and noise, that's when we can actually evaluate them. Because those with a custom 290/290X/390/390X are really happy with them.

I had a Strix Fury (sent to RMA, waiting for a Strix Vega) and that card was extremely cool and silent, HBM rules, so I'm actually quite optimistic for the Strix Vega. The Strix Fury doesn't start its fans under 60º Celsius, so I rarely had them turning on during gaming, and when I did, I wouldn't even notice. Only when mining Ethereum did I notice, but they were so quiet that my wife had no idea what I was doing.
Oh, nice, someone else with a Fury Strix (check my signature). I see so few of them in the wild these days. Then again I never saw many of them in the wild. Everyone had 980Tis because they were the better GPUs.

I've already seen a preview of the Strix Vega 64. Guru3D had a preview listed, but then took it down a few hours later after ASUS requested they remove it due to sending them the wrong BIOS. According to their initial review with a reference BIOS, Vega 64 Strix performed no better than the reference; only quieter—though importantly still not as quiet as the 1080 Strix.

Hexus has a more encouraging review. 74°C under load with a solid increase in performance across all games tested. In the conclusion they state quiet under load, premium build quality, relatively cool, and faster than reference as positives, with potential pricing and power draw as negatives. Sell it for $500 and I'll buy one.

The reason why the 290 and 290X non-reference designs did so well was because they were so competitive in price to performance, the most important metric. The 290 traded blows with the 780 while being significantly cheaper, and the 290X traded blows with the 780Ti while being significantly cheaper and having more VRAM. They may have been later, drew more power, were hotter, and slightly behind in performance, but they had price to performance down.

Compare that to now and Vega 56 is only marginally faster than a 1070 for roughly the same price, which will soon change if the 1070Ti happens. Vega 64 is barely able to hold its own against the 1080 while being the same price. Considering Pascal's superior inefficiencies and overclocking headroom, Vega needed to be more powerful, be $50-100 cheaper, come out eight months ago, or have a much lower TDP. AIB partner cards won't change that. Performance will go up slightly, but so will price. An ASUS Strix Vega 64 for $500 and Vega 56 for $400? Yeah, that's a pretty damn decent sell. I'd get one. But they'll be $550 and $450 respectively or more, and they're still a couple of months away from release.

Ultimately, no matter what anyone has ever said, Vega in the gaming market is still a huge flop and one of the biggest disappointments in recent years. It has little to no saving graces.