Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 25-08-17, 12:12 PM
News Guru

Reports claim that Radeon Vega shortages could last until October

The packaging of AMD's Vega GPUs has been blamed for low yields.

Read more on AMD's potential RX Vega manufacturing issues.

Old 25-08-17, 12:33 PM

Fine with me since I wasn't planning to buy a new graphics card until November, probably around Black Friday.
Old 25-08-17, 02:50 PM
OC3D Elite

That means Vega 64 could be considered an XX70 within 6-8 months of its shelf life. I don't think Volta XX70 will beat a 1080Ti, but it will no doubt be faster than the 1080. That means Vega 64 will have such a very short shelf life, even more so than Fury with its limited 4GB of VRAM.
Old 25-08-17, 04:50 PM
OC3D Elite

From what I have heard (and please, don't take this as fact !) Volta could end up having less of a performance leap over Pascal that Pascal did over Maxwell. Something to do with it being less efficient by design (because it's a big bugger) and it being a completely new tech.

Now bear in mind that the above is merely speculation and did not come from any valid source. It's just rumblings among the boffins.

As for Vega? this was news about four months ago. That it would be in short supply and wouldn't be widely available until October. The same happened with Fury. Was a few for a week or so then gone and ages (end of Sept IIRC) before more stock arrived.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 25-08-17, 05:57 PM
OC3D Elite

It makes sense that Volta won't be a huge leap forward, at least not at launch. I think a GTX XX80 will be just above a Titan Xp and an XX70 will be just below a 1080Ti. That kind of ball park anyway. Otherwise Vega would be screwed at the midrange as well. I don't think it'll be as big of a jump from Maxwell to Pascal as you say.
Old 26-08-17, 08:28 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
It makes sense that Volta won't be a huge leap forward, at least not at launch. I think a GTX XX80 will be just above a Titan Xp and an XX70 will be just below a 1080Ti. That kind of ball park anyway. Otherwise Vega would be screwed at the midrange as well. I don't think it'll be as big of a jump from Maxwell to Pascal as you say.
Well Nvidia have categorically said that it will basically pummel AMD in DX12. IE - they are going back to larger designs in order to compete on shaders etc. Which makes sense, because inevitably that will be what DX12 eventually needs. Which means that like Vega it won't enjoy ridiculous clock speeds and won't be so good at DX11.

There could be some truth in that.

Ed. The Titan Xp has 3840 CUDA cores. The proposed Volta has 5376. That's a frikkin *HUGE* jump.

My Titan XP gets stupid hot too. Like so hot I have been forced to water cool it.

Sauce.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/nvid...specifications

And

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...ries/titan-xp/

Old 26-08-17, 11:14 AM
News Guru

It depends on what Desktop Volta looks like. Reports claim that TSMC's 12nm is just a refined 16nm process and Nvidia themselves say that the V100 is at the edge of what is manufacturable on modern process tech.

IE, it doesn't sound like there will be a gaming GPU that is based on the V100 unless it uses significantly less die space. (Which it should since it doesn't need Tensor cores of FP64 compute hardware). Will it use that many CUDA cores for gaming? Hard to know, probably not at launch, like the GTX 1080/1080Ti they will stagger the release of Big Volta.
Old 26-08-17, 11:50 AM
OC3D Elite

To be honest unless graphics make a huge jump between now and Volta the 1080Ti is still more than enough. Hellblade has shown me that games can be made to look unbelievably real whilst still running at a fair clip.

So yeah, I am not sure we will need Volta any time soon.

Old 26-08-17, 12:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
To be honest unless graphics make a huge jump between now and Volta the 1080Ti is still more than enough. Hellblade has shown me that games can be made to look unbelievably real whilst still running at a fair clip.

So yeah, I am not sure we will need Volta any time soon.
Yeah, I agree. Right now the 1080Ti is plenty for 1440p/144Hz. That's why I'm so frustrated with Vega's performance; because the 1080Ti it too much and the 1080 is slightly too little. I wanted something in between. I imagine that Volta XX70 will around that kind of performance. Whatever the case, my Fury just isn't enough for the newer games at 90 FPS, not with an old i5.