Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 23-08-17, 10:04 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,815
AMD's EPYC server CPUs offer a 40% cost saving over a single-die equivalent

It looks like EPYC is a huge design win for AMD!



Read more on the cost benefits of AMD's EPYC CPUs.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23-08-17, 10:20 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,381
I think the best thing about AMD's design is the failure rates will be much, much lower due to using small dies in numbers. And any of these small dies that fail can simply be used for something else. If Intel's large die fails to the point it can't meet minimum spec on that chipset (so let's say they were trying to cut a 6950x and could use it as a 6800k if it failed) then the whole thing goes in the bin.

Yeah, it was very smart of Jim Keller to design it the way he did. Genius, even.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23-08-17, 12:09 PM
Chopper3's Avatar
Chopper3 Chopper3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Christchurch, Dorset
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I think the best thing about AMD's design is the failure rates will be much, much lower due to using small dies in numbers. And any of these small dies that fail can simply be used for something else. If Intel's large die fails to the point it can't meet minimum spec on that chipset (so let's say they were trying to cut a 6950x and could use it as a 6800k if it failed) then the whole thing goes in the bin.

Yeah, it was very smart of Jim Keller to design it the way he did. Genius, even.
You know that's not how Intel's fab setup works right? If say their 28c Xeon fails on a number of cores they just sell it as a lower-core'd SKU - so if 1 core is dead it becomes a 24c part, on an 18c Xeon if 3 cores fail then they sell it as a 14c part etc.
__________________
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 M, Memory: 32 GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 3200Mhz, Graphics Card: Asus ROG 1080 ti, Hard Drive: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D, Power Supply: Corsair AX860i, CPU cooling: Corsair H115i Pro, OS: Windows 10 Pro x64, Monitor: Asus ROG PG348Q 34" 21:9, Headphones: Logitech G35 3D, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB, Mouse: Razor Deathadder Chroma
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23-08-17, 01:36 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,575
Pretty impressive. This should really help AMD be profitable
__________________
The Cost of Freedom -
"A price payed gladly, in the hopes that the free, live better."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23-08-17, 02:48 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper3 View Post
You know that's not how Intel's fab setup works right? If say their 28c Xeon fails on a number of cores they just sell it as a lower-core'd SKU - so if 1 core is dead it becomes a 24c part, on an 18c Xeon if 3 cores fail then they sell it as a 14c part etc.
Yes but the problem is if it doesn't even meet the lowest part on X299 what can they do with it? make it a desktop part? I strongly doubt that, given the core is much larger and probably wouldn't even fit onto a desktop CPU part.

With Epyc/Threadripper/Ryzen they can use a part all the way down to a £99 CPU. So absolutely nothing at all goes to waste. I mean FFS they are even using fully functional dies as place mats !

Intel can not do that. That is the problem with making monolithic cores. It's the same when Nvidia make the Titan X. The only thing it can become is a 1080Ti and if it's not good enough for that it goes in the bin. This is why they charge such a high price for it.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23-08-17, 06:12 PM
Thelosouvlakia's Avatar
Thelosouvlakia Thelosouvlakia is offline
Classy-Fried-Chicken
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Greece
Posts: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

With Epyc/Threadripper/Ryzen they can use a part all the way down to a £99 CPU. So absolutely nothing at all goes to waste. I mean FFS they are even using fully functional dies as place mats !

AMD has said that the "place mats" on the Threadripper chips is just cut silicon wafers for stability... Well either that or completely failed cpu dies...
__________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23-08-17, 09:21 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,575
The extra unused dies are just metal plates for structural integrity during fabrication. It's not a killed die.
__________________
The Cost of Freedom -
"A price payed gladly, in the hopes that the free, live better."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24-08-17, 08:21 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,381
I would imagine it's whatever they have to hand tbh. AMD have even cut down high end parts just to make stock on low end parts before now.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 02:05 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.