Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 01-08-17, 10:59 AM
News Guru

Nvidia and their partners are working to create Titan Xp and Quadro external GPUs

These external GPUs will be designed to bring pro-level GPU performance to notebook users.

Read more on Nvidia's external GPU plans.

Old 01-08-17, 01:33 PM

This is such a niche concept.... if I'm purchasing a Quadro or Titan XP to do my rendering work I REALLY don't think I'm going to use my lappy. You'd just run a full fledge desktop at that point... this is a very strange idea to me.
Old 02-08-17, 01:33 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdayzzz View Post
This is such a niche concept.... if I'm purchasing a Quadro or Titan XP to do my rendering work I REALLY don't think I'm going to use my lappy. You'd just run a full fledge desktop at that point... this is a very strange idea to me.
Yup, I agree on this to be honest.
Old 02-08-17, 02:06 AM
OC3D Crew

The question is why? Jay (Jayz2cents) has tested external GPU's and concluded that they are absolute, pointless, rubbish. If you need hard core laptop, you will buy hardcore laptop. Upgrading whatever you have doesn't have sense. I understand that you need compute power when you are not on your main station. All youtubers when they go on events do their rendering on laptops. But they get insane laptops. And you can survive with few hours more rendering for a short time.

I just don't see the point. I don't see anyone for any reason, buy existing external GPUs, let alone workstation overpriced GPUs. Even for Rampage V Ed10, 6950X, 128GB RAM, Titan Xp SLI, 5x 480mm radiator water cooled build, in biggest CaseLabs case i see the point. It is enthusiast build, and i want one. But why would anyone need external Titan Xp?
Old 02-08-17, 02:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
The question is why? Jay (Jayz2cents) has tested external GPU's and concluded that they are absolute, pointless, rubbish. If you need hard core laptop, you will buy hardcore laptop. Upgrading whatever you have doesn't have sense. I understand that you need compute power when you are not on your main station. All youtubers when they go on events do their rendering on laptops. But they get insane laptops. And you can survive with few hours more rendering for a short time.

I just don't see the point. I don't see anyone for any reason, buy existing external GPUs, let alone workstation overpriced GPUs. Even for Rampage V Ed10, 6950X, 128GB RAM, Titan Xp SLI, 5x 480mm radiator water cooled build, in biggest CaseLabs case i see the point. It is enthusiast build, and i want one. But why would anyone need external Titan Xp?
Probably so they don't need to buy an insane laptop to go with their normal rendering rig. Or the extreme caselabs watercooled behemoth.

I would imagine it depends whether they're using the GPU compute intensive applications.

Interestingly, more of our workstations are being replaced by laptops for ease of use and portability. More and more of our corporate applications are hosted so we don't need a lot of internal processing power, especially away from the office. Of course having this kind of external GPU power could really benefit in certain applications.

it does go back to the original point of Darkdayzzz that it's very, very niche. It's no use for me but "if you build it they will come."