Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 19-07-17, 04:21 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,320
Arctic confirms that their Liquid Freezer series of coolers will support Threadripper

Do these coolers already support Threadripper of will users need a TR4 mounting kit?



Read more on Arctic's Threadripper support.

__________________
One of these days I'll change my name to Mark Bench
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19-07-17, 05:27 PM
Korreborg's Avatar
Korreborg Korreborg is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Viborg - Denmark
Posts: 667
But it can't be optimal with the size of the socket.
__________________
[I9-7900X][Asus Strix X299-E][EVGA 1080TI FE][Corsair 16GB 3733MHz][Fractal Meshify C][Corsair AX860i]
[Samsung 970evo 500GB+1000GB of mixed SATA SDD's][ASUS PG278QR][Logitech G510s and G502][Steelseries Wireless H]
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20-07-17, 08:04 AM
m2geek m2geek is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
But it can't be optimal with the size of the socket.
I'm sure there will be some sort of new plate and bracket design for em.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20-07-17, 08:27 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 4,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2geek View Post
I'm sure there will be some sort of new plate and bracket design for em.
I think he means the surface area in contact with the CPU IHS will not be optimal. Then again, I think it will be fine.

When you compare previous Intel CPU IHS and the provided stock coolers, you will see the cooler contact does not cover the entire IHS, but merely the crucial center area.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20-07-17, 08:28 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I think he means the surface area in contact with the CPU IHS will not be optimal. Then again, I think it will be fine.

When you compare previous Intel CPU IHS and the provided stock coolers, you will see the cooler contact does not cover the entire IHS, but merely the crucial center area.
Well... 16 cores spread out over larger area. I'm fairly certain it's pretty important this time lol
__________________
The Cost of Freedom -
"A price payed gladly, in the hopes that the free, live better."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20-07-17, 08:35 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 4,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Well... 16 cores spread out over larger area. I'm fairly certain it's pretty important this time lol
I still think it will be fine. Just not optimal. I dont think Arctic would dare make such an announcement without having tested this thoroughly. Or perhaps this could be the QA testing slip up of the century.

Perhaps its an evil plan to damage AMDs plot of dominance in the market.

wait, ignore that. I had my tin foil hat on.

I can't wait to see this cpu in action. Even the name just yells at me "this CPU is bad a**"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20-07-17, 09:23 AM
Korreborg's Avatar
Korreborg Korreborg is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Viborg - Denmark
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I dont think Arctic would dare make such an announcement without having tested this thoroughly.
Look at the resent VRM problems. Companies don't always think things the whole way through
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20-07-17, 09:26 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 4,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
Look at the resent VRM problems. Companies don't always think things the whole way through
Very true, so lets hope for no crazy lawsuits going on. Can you imagine the implications of an army of threadripper owners who now own a paper weight?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 08:05 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.