Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 14-07-17, 04:16 PM
News Guru

Oculus are rumoured to reveal a $200 standalone VR headset later this year

This new Oculus "Pacific" headset is set somewhere between the Rift and Samsung GearVR in terms of quality.

Read more on Oculus' planned standalone VR headset.

Old 14-07-17, 11:05 PM

Gear VR 1440p, how different can it be without more pixels and better content.

Rampage V Edition 10 - i7 5930k - 32Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum - Samsung 960 Pro 512 - Seasonic Prime 750w - Noctua NH-U14S - K70 RGB LUX - GTX 1080Ti Strix - Acer Predator XB321HK- Windows 10 Pro x64
Old 14-07-17, 11:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
The only thing I don't like about current VR is that everything seems to have a sort of chromatic aberration around the edges.
Old 15-07-17, 11:20 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
The only thing I don't like about current VR is that everything seems to have a sort of chromatic aberration around the edges.
One of AMD's top graphics honchos made a statement when the Rift CV and Vive launched. He said, and I quote "VR will not be truly realistic or immersive until each eye panel displays 5k resolution".

And I can tell you now he's spot on. And that will take years and years, if VR even lasts that long. I can't see it lasting, because it's a major faff just to put the thing on and have wires trailing out all over the place. If mine was easier to just pick up and put on I would use it more, but it's not.

Look at the graphics out of the car. They are very low rent. The popup is nasty and the texture flicker (through lack of AA) is bloody awful. OK, now imagine that about 2" away from your eyes. It's bad enough watching a video of it, but having it going on right in front of you is terrible. Honestly it's like playing a game on the PS1 with it right in front of your eyes.

All VR games look like that, if not worse. That is why AMD were absolutely spot on.

But, if you think about how long it will be before we can drive 10k with a GPU? um yah, I really don't think VR will be around that long.

Now this?

That is amazing. Seriously you will need a jack to push your jaw back up off of the floor. However, look at the graphics. It's like N64 graphics. Not that it's a problem, because that game is incredibly smooth and runs like butter. But yeah, that is about what VR is capable of maximum right now.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 15-07-17, 07:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Honestly I thought PCARS looked pretty awesome
Old 16-07-17, 04:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Honestly I thought PCARS looked pretty awesome
Most of the people I talk to say that after a couple of hours driving you forget how poor (relatively) the graphics are and the immersion factor more than makes up for it. A lot of them won't go back to triple screen gaming now. I have yet to test a decent VR headset so can't comment but being susceptible to headaches I don't want to shell out for a 1200 dollar headset just yet.

Old 17-07-17, 09:01 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimma47 View Post
Most of the people I talk to say that after a couple of hours driving you forget how poor (relatively) the graphics are and the immersion factor more than makes up for it. A lot of them won't go back to triple screen gaming now. I have yet to test a decent VR headset so can't comment but being susceptible to headaches I don't want to shell out for a 1200 dollar headset just yet.

I tried PC VR and I actually forgot about the low gfx. My only gripe was the motion sickness after 15mins. Nothing my eyes won't get used to since the headset wasn't mine. Just a demo in a store so i was a little inexperienced. Plus I was using a dirty controller instead of a wheel so that would get even better.
Old 17-07-17, 09:12 AM
OC3D Elite

Yeah I need to get myself a demo. I think I'd be susceptible to motion sickness but yeah it may pass once you get used to it.