Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 07-07-17, 04:25 PM
News Guru

AMD's Radeon Vega Frontier Edition's "game mode" has no effect on performance

AMD's "Gaming Mode" has no impact on their Vega FE's gaming performance.

Read more in the impact of AMD's Vega Frontier Edition "Gaming mode".

Old 07-07-17, 04:33 PM
OC3D Crew

I saw this before, it did not look very good for AMD. If u release a 1000€ card that is NOT marketed as a gaming card but then has a GAMING switch.....

On top of all that then it has NO impact to gaming now - as it is. As some one stated before, BOTH the Titan Xp and the Vega card are Gaming cards as PROFESIONAL working cards have optimized drivers etc from the start FOR WORK. That is part what you are paying for.
Old 07-07-17, 11:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
I watched DudeRandom84 on YouTube as he just got a Vega FE to mess around with and the performance wasn't that good, I know it's not touted as a gaming card, Even though it has a gaming mode, But considering the RX-Vega is just going to be the same exact core and core count as the F.E but with probably slightly less memory, I don't think drivers will be able to make such a big difference, Maybe 20% over the F.E at best being extremely optimistic but that's it.

My hopes for having an all AMD rig are waning, As AlienALX always says, This is just being realistic about it.
Old 08-07-17, 12:44 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
I watched DudeRandom84 on YouTube as he just got a Vega FE to mess around with and the performance wasn't that good, I know it's not touted as a gaming card, Even though it has a gaming mode, But considering the RX-Vega is just going to be the same exact core and core count as the F.E but with probably slightly less memory, I don't think drivers will be able to make such a big difference, Maybe 20% over the F.E at best being extremely optimistic but that's it.

My hopes for having an all AMD rig are waning, As AlienALX always says, This is just being realistic about it.
Being realistic about it would be to wait.
Old 08-07-17, 12:46 AM
OC3D Elite

I really hate to say this but i think Vega is going to be a nearly DOA card, too little too late by AMD, and only fanboi's or those who have invested already in a high end freesync monitor are going to be happy for this card, those of us who have invested in Nvidia's architecture aren't going to find Vega good enough to warrant changing over IF that was intended.
Such a shame really seeing as their CPU's have advanced so much that they are unable to advance their GPU's a well and TBH I think it's been a big mistake to keep Fafing about with HBM it may be their downfall.
Oh well maybe next time they'll get it right
NZXT Phantom 630 White=Intel 5930K=MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon=32gig 2400Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=Corsair AX1200i=White Sennheiser Game One=CableMod RGB LED=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS
Old 08-07-17, 12:47 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Being realistic about it would be to wait.
Yes and no, You can draw some conclusions from the FE about how RX will be as it is the same core, Same core count, Same architecture and same memory being used albeit probably slightly less on the RX.

It's just an electronic product at the end of the day.
Old 08-07-17, 12:50 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalabur50 View Post
I really hate to say this but i think Vega is going to be a nearly DOA card, too little too late by AMD, and only fanboi's or those who have invested already in a high end freesync monitor are going to be happy for this card, those of us who have invested in Nvidia's architecture aren't going to find Vega good enough to warrant changing over IF that was intended.
Such a shame really seeing as their CPU's have advanced so much that they are unable to advance their GPU's a well and TBH I think it's been a big mistake to keep Fafing about with HBM it may be their downfall.
Oh well maybe next time they'll get it right
The issue is AMD at heart is a CPU company. So it makes sense they put all that money and time into Zen. Zen is pretty successful for the most part. GPUs will be next for them, but that is going to be a long time.

I personally am on the side of many experts who feel AMDs worst decision ever was to buy ATI for the amount they did. The buy was fine, but the amount was totally not worth it. It hurt them bad and then they basically did nothing with ATI. It took them YEARS before they even got APUs and while impressive, they weren't great.
Just makes me wonder how different everything would be if AMD never bought ATI. I suspect much closer competition on all fronts.
Old 08-07-17, 12:53 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
The issue is AMD at heart is a CPU company. So it makes sense they put all that money and time into Zen. Zen is pretty successful for the most part. GPUs will be next for them, but that is going to be a long time.

I personally am on the side of many experts who feel AMDs worst decision ever was to buy ATI for the amount they did. The buy was fine, but the amount was totally not worth it. It hurt them bad and then they basically did nothing with ATI. It took them YEARS before they even got APUs and while impressive, they weren't great.
Just makes me wonder how different everything would be if AMD never bought ATI. I suspect much closer competition on all fronts.
ATI should still be it's own company and AMD should have stuck to making CPU's with ATI and AMD now and then partnering up for things like APU's but a company making both CPU's and GPU's stretches the budget too thin IMO.
Old 08-07-17, 12:57 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
ATI should still be it's own company and AMD should have stuck to making CPU's with ATI and AMD now and then partnering up for things like APU's but a company making both CPU's and GPU's stretches the budget too thin IMO.
That is exactly what happened too. They had to sell ALL there FABs and now we have Global Foundries.
But what lead to that event was the fact that AMD bought such an expensive company that AMD couldn't really support it especially at that price. They were not a market leader in ANY market, distant seconds or in the case of servers pretty high share but not a leader. So they took all there money away to buy ATI, but then had nothing to invest into and we can see that as slowly over time AMD has gotten further and further behind. Only this year did they do something amazing in any market they are in. Thank god for consoles. They kept them alive...
Old 08-07-17, 12:58 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

Zen is great and I think Treadripper will be awesome too, just a shame they couldn't do better with the GPU's too and if they hadn't bought ATI we might not have any competition if ATI folded so who knows, maybe now that Zen is successful they might have enough cash coming in to do better R&D into GPU's so that Navi may be the card to watch out for
NZXT Phantom 630 White=Intel 5930K=MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon=32gig 2400Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=Corsair AX1200i=White Sennheiser Game One=CableMod RGB LED=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS