Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 05-07-17, 10:38 PM
News Guru

Riot Games increases League of Legends pricing by 20% in the UK

Riot Games officially blames Brexit for the change, stating that the UK's currency is now 20% less valuable than it was before the vote.

Read more on Riot Games increasing the UK Prices of Riot Points by 20%.

Old 05-07-17, 10:54 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Makes sense. At least they waited a year before changing. It's not like they just outright screwed everyone from the beginning
Old 06-07-17, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Rubbish the pound was dropping years before the referendum.
Old 06-07-17, 08:34 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcool View Post
Actually it wasnt. It was fluctuating but still holding strong. Unless you are putting it up against the Euro and not the dollar.
Old 06-07-17, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

See my attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubbish.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	11927  
Old 06-07-17, 10:32 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Actually it wasnt. It was fluctuating but still holding strong. Unless you are putting it up against the Euro and not the dollar.
It really depends on what data you look at, yes there was a downward trend before brexit, but that trend does not explain the sudden, HUGE drop after the vote.

Looking a the data 2013 and 2014 was a period of relative strength for the UK, with the "lower" 2015-2016 data being very similar to what was seen in 2012/13. It isn't really that the pound was on a downward spiral, it was just returning to more normal levels after a high time.

Beyond that, the Pound was becoming stronger as the vote got closer, as at the time people were expecting a comfortable win for the remain camp.

One other thing that must be remembered is that the old £1 = $1.9 exchange rate ended in 2008 after the economic crash and has since then remained relatively stable at around 1.55 ever since.

A lot of the instability around was after May 2015, where the Conservatives were re-elected, the Brexit Referendum Act Vote passed through parliament and the Brexit vote itself was approaching.

Look at a longer term £:$ graph here.
http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?fr...to=USD&view=2Y

It is impossible to judge what state the Pound would have been in if Brexit did not happen, but it is wrong to think that it is not having an impact.

I'm not here to start an argument, but blaming these price increases on the companies is wrong. They sell in Dollars and when the Pound's Value changes they need to respond. If the exchange rate was 20% stronger, new products from American companies would be around 20% cheaper, that is simply how things work.

In this Situation, Riot was nice to UK gamers by delaying this change for over a year, when they could have changed it a few mere months after the Pounds drop in value.
Old 06-07-17, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

No I accept the vote made it drop significantly though the point about it dropped a few years before the vote remains true. As far as I know Steam hasn't altered their pricing. The WWE Network is still £9.99 just as it was before the referendum which is technically overpriced as it's $9.99 in the US.
Old 06-07-17, 01:59 PM

We've taken back control!*

*actual control may differ from advertised control up to and including no control whatsoever
Old 07-07-17, 08:54 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
No I accept the vote made it drop significantly though the point about it dropped a few years before the vote remains true. As far as I know Steam hasn't altered their pricing. The WWE Network is still £9.99 just as it was before the referendum which is technically overpriced as it's $9.99 in the US.
The vote was the root cause yes. But it was the knock on effect that caused it to plummet after the vote. All the corporations suddenly worried that they would have to relocate their business' elsewhere, major banks considering moving their trade to ireland etc. etc.

These trade/stock algorithms are so ridiculously amazing and complex, even a twitter spam can cause it to fall.

When Trump tweeted about dropping lockheed planes when he first come to power, it wiped off 25% of their value. But this discussion should go back in the brexit topic we had.

anyways... going back on topic, I do wonder if RG will cheekily raise prices in other countries over time, to normalise their microtransaction markets against the UK new prices.
Old 07-07-17, 09:01 AM
OC3D Elite

I wonder how long if the rate goes back up how long it will be before they reduce the price, I'm betting it will be longer than a year
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
PSU: Corsair Rm850x