Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 05-07-17, 10:33 AM
News Guru

Alleged AMD RX Vega benchmarks have surfaced online

How much performance does AMD's RX Vega offer?

Read more on AMD's RX Vega GPU.

Old 05-07-17, 10:40 AM
OC3D Elite

First and foremost, AMD always do quite well in 3DMark. So yeah, let's get that out of the way. Vega did very well in 3DMark.. Also 1630 clock. That must be under water, or an AIO, because there is no way unless you live in the North Pole that you will get those clocks on air.

Still though, if there is a way for it to clock that high (3rd party cooler or what not) then it may just close in on the 1080 which is pretty cool.

Hmm just thought about it. If AMD are advertising the FE at 1600mhz and this is supposedly running at 1630 then that could be the brick wall. My Fury X will only do about 30mhz before it bombs in games. Does 105 for benching though.

And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy
Old 05-07-17, 10:52 AM

The performance of these new Vega cards is irrelevant, we all know they're going to be at 1070/1080 level.

All that matters is the price, if AMD can offer that kind of performance for $50 & $100 respectively, cheaper than Nvidia, then they'll gain market share.

..If they can't, it doesn't matter, Vega will have no impact whatsoever.

Of course right now we have all these scum bag, parasite miners distorting the market so it may not matter what price AMD want these cards to go for..
Old 05-07-17, 10:58 AM
OC3D Crew

If its a BIT better than a 1080 then its all about price!
Old 05-07-17, 11:04 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
The performance of these new Vega cards is irrelevant, we all know they're going to be at 1070/1080 level.

All that matters is the price, if AMD can offer that kind of performance for $50 & $100 respectively, cheaper than Nvidia, then they'll gain market share.

..If they can't, it doesn't matter, Vega will have no impact whatsoever.

Of course right now we have all these scum bag, parasite miners distorting the market so it may not matter what price AMD want these cards to go for..
The good thing about mining is that when it crashes so do GPU prices. Right now I am happy for AMD to make a little extra money tbh. There's always the second hand market (between friends on forums, not money grabbing chancers) so I will always be able to keep my rigs running.

Old 05-07-17, 12:02 PM

Who's buying 1080's these days though? The market for 1070's is great, everyone who pay for higher kit goes for the 1080ti - the 1080 is pointless surely - so the Vega being at 1070 levels is great but why bother hitting the 1080 level unless you're a LOT cheaper?
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K, Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Gene, Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1866Mhz, Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 980 ti SC+, Hard Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 500GB + Intel 750 NVMe 800GB, Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D, Power Supply: Corsair AX860i, CPU cooling: Corsair H100i, OS: Windows 10 Pro x64, Monitor: AOC AG241QG 24" 165hz, Headphones: Logitech G35 3D, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB, Mouse: Razor Deathadder Chroma
Old 05-07-17, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

If AMD releases VEGA in this performance place, and offer it for less money than 1070, and with FreeSync monitors considerably cheaper than G-Sync I see AMD being go to for any game rig.
Old 05-07-17, 12:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper3 View Post
Who's buying 1080's these days though? The market for 1070's is great, everyone who pay for higher kit goes for the 1080ti - the 1080 is pointless surely - so the Vega being at 1070 levels is great but why bother hitting the 1080 level unless you're a LOT cheaper?
I won't buy a 1080. Not for the prices they are demanding for them. I can get a Ti for about £50 more.

I've never really wanted a 1080 and have never really considered one because I have two "1070 like" cards already (Fury X, Titan X(M))

As such it would be pointless to spend that sort of money on 20% or so. I would want at least Ti performance for spending out that kind of dough.

Vega needs to cost less than the 1080. And less enough for people to want to put up with the thermals and 100w extra power consumption. This isn't like the 1080, which you can pair up with a 450w PSU you are going to need quite a bit more juice.

So given that it's a bit impractical it needs to be cheaper. Yet, the Fury X was not cheaper than the 980Ti despite being crap at low resolutions, 2GB VRAM down on the Ti and you had to fit a radiator to your rig.

Now if AMD had got the Fury (non X) price right? then yeah, that would have been a popular card. But they didn't. And this is all because of a large die and HBM.

So I just can't see how they can undercut the 1080 enough to make this card viable.

AMD cards are for enthusiasts. The same as their CPUs. IE - those who don't want bleeding edge performance but want great value. We've seen it with Ryzen. Those who couldn't give a crap about money are all lining up to buy X299, those with some sense and those who need to be careful are buying Ryzen.

However, if the Vega does not have great VFM then who in their right mind is going to buy it?

I'll tell you. Some one like me, who wanted to punish Nvidia for making me feel like a muppet for buying two Titan Blacks. Some one who would not buy Nvidia no matter how cheap or good they were. So I bought a Fury X instead. Year later I ended up going back to Nvidia (Titan XM) because I was running out of VRAM and games were crashing, BSODing and rebooting my PC.

AMD have fixed that now, but it comes at a massive performance penalty. So whenever I want raw speed I use my 5820k and Titan XM. Whenever I do anything else? low clocked Xeon with Fury X all water cooled practically silent.

Old 05-07-17, 12:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper3 View Post
I bought a 1080 in May but I only paid £425 for it well £315 as I sold my R9 290X. A couple of weeks after I bought it the prices rocketed again.

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

STEAM ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tolemac/

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 05-07-17, 02:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
First and foremost, AMD always do quite well in 3DMark. So yeah, let's get that out of the way. Vega did very well in 3DMark.. Also 1630 clock. That must be under water, or an AIO, because there is no way unless you live in the North Pole that you will get those clocks on air.

Still though, if there is a way for it to clock that high (3rd party cooler or what not) then it may just close in on the 1080 which is pretty cool.

Hmm just thought about it. If AMD are advertising the FE at 1600mhz and this is supposedly running at 1630 then that could be the brick wall. My Fury X will only do about 30mhz before it bombs in games. Does 105 for benching though.
I'm not sure I agree with that. The 980Ti easily beats the Fury X in 3DMark 11, yet in modern games the Fury X handles itself well against the 980Ti.