Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 04-07-17, 07:55 PM
News Guru

Nvidia plans to move to Multi-Chip GPU modules to scale past Moore's Law

It looks like Nvidia is moving away from "monolithic" GPU designs in favour of a multi-die approach.

Read more on Nvidia's plans to create a multi-chip GPU complex.

Old 04-07-17, 08:09 PM
AMD Enthusiast

AMD is easily ahead of the MCM design. I don't think you need to suggest that
They've done it on CPUs and GPUs (less of an extent here) and are much better (experience wise) at designing custom solutions. However AMD is still behind so Nvidia have time, probably nothing to be worried about tbh
Old 05-07-17, 03:32 AM
OC3D Elite

Easiest way forward I suppose. Loving the core number!
Asus Maximus VIII Hero Z170 | Intel i5-6600K 4.6GHz | Corsair H105 | Corsair Vengeance LPX 3GHz CL15 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix A8G | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p
Old 05-07-17, 08:37 AM

success has many fathers, failure is an orphan
Old 05-07-17, 09:34 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
success has many fathers, failure is an orphan
Man who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Old 05-07-17, 10:32 AM
OC3D Elite

TBH we should have done this when Crossfire and SLi first arrived. We know now that scaling is good (up to 100% on Crossfire) so why we still have single cored GPUs is a mystery, when we now have like 40 core CPUs.

Having said that I don't think Nvidia have much of a choice. Navi works the same way, and Navi will inevitably end up in the consoles so the games will go in that direction with or without Nvidia.

The only thing that kinda annoys me is that these will be tiny little dies which are five and ten a penny to make, yet I know they will find a way to big it up and make it sound incredible and charge the earth for it.

It was a cracking idea by AMD, that's for certain. They are frugal with stuff like this and not wasteful, so the more working dies you get per wafer the less you lose.

And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy
Old 05-07-17, 09:36 PM
OC3D Elite

I agree that it's slightly frustrating (but understandable) to know that companies will likely find a way to big-up their new designs and price them high despite them costing significantly less to produce. But I imagine whatever pricing they come up could be attributed to higher R&D costs more so than production costs. Either way whatever price cuts we get will be welcomed. I'm really intrigued to hear Nvidia are going down the same route as AMD.
Old 05-07-17, 10:52 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I agree that it's slightly frustrating (but understandable) to know that companies will likely find a way to big-up their new designs and price them high despite them costing significantly less to produce. But I imagine whatever pricing they come up could be attributed to higher R&D costs more so than production costs. Either way whatever price cuts we get will be welcomed. I'm really intrigued to hear Nvidia are going down the same route as AMD.
Well I predict for Nvidia doing this kind of research, the R&D is going to be very high so it is understandable if it's priced higher within reason
Old 05-07-17, 11:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Well I predict for Nvidia doing this kind of research, the R&D is going to be very high so it is understandable if it's priced higher within reason
Yeah but where does it end prise wise... There will come a point where only the privileged few can afford them if this continues = ultimately bad for business. But yeah, R&D needs to be paid and will be reflected the heaviest in the price.
Old 05-07-17, 11:33 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The F34R Channel View Post
Yeah but where does it end prise wise... There will come a point where only the privileged few can afford them if this continues = ultimately bad for business. But yeah, R&D needs to be paid and will be reflected the heaviest in the price.
They will make most of it back in the HPC market