Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 02-07-17, 01:37 PM
News Guru

AMD reveals their CAPSAICIN SIGGRAPH event

AMD has revealed their CAPSAICIN SIGGRAPH event, where the Radeon Technologies Group will be showcasing their Radeon Vega family of products and more.

Read more on AMD's Capsaicin SIGGRAPH event.

Old 03-07-17, 12:52 AM

What should be just as interesting if not more so is the Quarterly Investor Conference call which should take place one week before this event. At that time we will be able to see what AMD's Financial Numbers look like with a full quarter of Ryzen Sales under their belts. It will also be interesting to see what AMD Senior Management has to say about the new Cryptocurrency Mining Cards. How will they organize their Production Lines.

It appears the RX Vega will slot in between the 1080 and the 1080ti in terms of performance. If that is the case it seems to me the logical thing to do is to price Vega as cheap as possible say $500. That way AMD can work 2 cohorts. The traditional AMD GPU Client base which has been buy Polaris Cards and possibly glean off some of the bottom end NVIDIA Base who are sick and tired of being fleeced. During the summer and spring AMD can produce and market the just announced Mining specific RX-470. With Polaris Cards gone from the stores and stock rooms for months RX Vega Cards should also do very well when they hit the shelves. I would expect Polaris Cards to be restocked no sooner than the middle of the 4th Quarter in time to have they on the shelves before the Holiday Rush.

And then comes Ryzen 3. Despite the recently linked specs on the Chip. I can't see AMD disabling perfectly good cores to satisfy this market. And AMD seems to concur. Reports are out of extraordinarily high yield numbers for Ryzen wafers. AMD has announced a new line of Ryzen Pro chips. It is clear that AMD wants to test and segregate the over performing cores and charge a premium price for them. This makes perfect sense considering Wall Street is always hammering AMD for catering to Low Margin Markets. The question is where will the Ryzen 3 Chips come from ?

Then there will be what AMD Senior Suits will say about Epyc. Like Ryzen in April AMD will only have 1 month of Epyc sales data to report. But how AMD guides for the 3rd and 4th quarters should give us some clues about what their strategy will be in 2018.
Old 03-07-17, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Where have you found info on 1080+ speed?
Everywhere I have looked it's between 1070 and 1080. As I see it = total fail. Those cards are 1 year old.
But this crypto mining will probably save them. It's amd and the power companies that have started the mining trend
Old 03-07-17, 02:28 PM

as much as id love to see above 1080 performance theres no info suggesting it, we will just have to wait and see hopefully not too long as im graphics card-less at the mo.
Old 03-07-17, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Only AMD advantage will be price/performance. If they offer Vega in 1060/70/80 segment at lower prices they will take big chunk of the market.
Old 03-07-17, 05:31 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
Everywhere I have looked it's between 1070 and 1080. As I see it = total fail. Those cards are 1 year old.
But this crypto mining will probably save them. It's amd and the power companies that have started the mining trend
Where have you found a review of a RX Vega card? Because all I see are Pro cards being benchmarked in games.
Old 03-07-17, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
Only AMD advantage will be price/performance. If they offer Vega in 1060/70/80 segment at lower prices they will take big chunk of the market.
AMD already has a big chunk of that market. 85% of all GPU Cards sold are in the 100 to 300 dollar range and AMD has that segment of the market cornered in much the same way as NVIDIA has the segment of the market cornered that furnishes Big Ticket GPUs. The profit margin for the Big Ticket Cards is much higher which explains the reason why NVIDIA rakes in the loot the way they do.

Returning to the topic at hand benchmarking the AMD Vega GPU against the NVIDIA 1080ti is a facile analysis. It would be great if Vega could make in roads into NVIDIAs customer base but it still can be very successful without achieving that goal. There is a very large cohort of people using Polaris Cards and a fair number want to upgrade. If priced properly, say 500 to 580 USD, Vega would give those users a cheaper alternative than the 1080 or 1080ti. A better comparison is the RX Vega against the old Fury X which opened at 1100 USD when placed on the market.
Old 03-07-17, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
The data I'm using is from the PCPer tests that were done last Thursday. I'm going by their data not their editorial opinions.

BTW Red Gaming Tech expects a considerable jump in performance when the new Drivers optimized for games are released. That should take place in a few weeks when the RX Vega Cards are introduced at Siggraph.

It will be interesting to see what effects the Mining Craze will have on AMD and its planning. There are many things going down at Red right now and AMD Senior management is up to its eyeballs in alligators.

The future for AMD rests on the success of Epyc and the company's position in the Server/Enterprise Biz
Old 03-07-17, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Where have you found a review of a RX Vega card? Because all I see are Pro cards being benchmarked in games.
So it does not give a huge hint towards the gaming card?
Old 03-07-17, 06:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Linus gave a bit of a hint in one of his recent videos when he talked about the performance and that in reality we shouldn't be expecting RX version to magically super charge the exact same cores and architecture as only really the memory size will be different will differently tuned drivers, I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist of it.

I have my money ready either way.