Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 28-06-17, 09:12 AM
News Guru

AMD releases their Radeon Vega Frontier Edition

AMD has released their new Radeon Vega Frontier Edition, with a lower price than previously thought and 13.1 TFLOPs of compute performance.

Read more on AMD's Radeon Vega Frontier Edition.

Old 28-06-17, 09:38 AM
OC3D Elite

While AMD didn’t want to reveal any gaming performance, it agreed to give us a taste of how Radeon Vega Frontier Edition performs in gaming. So we switched out the 8K Dell panel for a pair of Acer 34-inch, wide-aspect 3440x1440 panels, and played games on both the Titan Xp and the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition.

To show that it wasn’t just an API advantage, AMD let us play Doom using Vulkan, Prey using DirectX 11, and Sniper Elite 4 using DirectX 12. All of the games were set to their highest game settings, and we played at the native resolution of the panels. Although the identical panels were FreeSync-based, FreeSync was switched off on the AMD GPU.

Switching back and forth between the two systems, we’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between the Titan Xp and the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition. While you'd expect such performance from a $1,000 card, many have been concerned that Vega just won’t perform.

How vague can you possibly be?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/32026...-titan-xp.html

I think it's going to be a bit crap.

And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy
Old 28-06-17, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

How vague can you possibly be?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/32026...-titan-xp.html

I think it's going to be a bit crap.
I think you're reading into that article a tad too much. I can understand why AMD would be reluctant to give out specific gaming benchmarks on a card not designed for gaming.

You know how fickle people can be. AMD releasing gaming benchmarks for their Prosumer card would do them nothing but harm. Lets suppose that they did release benchmarks for it, and lets suppose that those benchmarks were identical to the Titan Xp (stress on the if, it wouldn't be) then what far too many people would take out of it is "Vega costs $1499 and performs worse than a 1080Ti". Or, people would say "Vega costs more than a Titan Xp for the same performance", and ignore that it beats it in areas its actually designed for, which isn't gaming. Basically, they can't win. Better to just hold off completely until the consumer version drops, then release benchmarks for that.
NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed - Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H - Core I5 [email protected] - NZXT Kraken X60 - XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR Black 8GB - Corsair AX860i - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz - Samsung 840 EVO 250gb
Old 28-06-17, 12:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-8 View Post
I think you're reading into that article a tad too much. I can understand why AMD would be reluctant to give out specific gaming benchmarks on a card not designed for gaming.

You know how fickle people can be. AMD releasing gaming benchmarks for their Prosumer card would do them nothing but harm. Lets suppose that they did release benchmarks for it, and lets suppose that those benchmarks were identical to the Titan Xp (stress on the if, it wouldn't be) then what far too many people would take out of it is "Vega costs $1499 and performs worse than a 1080Ti". Or, people would say "Vega costs more than a Titan Xp for the same performance", and ignore that it beats it in areas its actually designed for, which isn't gaming. Basically, they can't win. Better to just hold off completely until the consumer version drops, then release benchmarks for that.
I'm not reading too much into it. AMD have been secretive with Vega's performance since day one. Every time they have showed it they have deliberately obscured pretty much everything to hide the performance. Why? most probably because it's crap.

A couple of days ago I saw a video of the FE and the only game they ran was Doom using Vulkan. The AMD rep was standing there and the guy said the same crap "Performance is great I can't tell the difference between this and a 1080TI !!".

That is what AMD are telling people to say. Just like when they said "Vega performance is nice!" erm excuse me? WTF. "Nice"... Really?

Trust me now, if Vega was amazing they would have leaked like a forking sieve. We would know just how good it is, and we would be sitting here waiting for it.

So no, I politely put across that I am not reading too much into it, because AMD have made damn sure there's nothing to read.

Just got a bonus, I am almost tempted to order a FE and DSR it after going over the performance...

And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy
Old 28-06-17, 01:36 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Just glad to see Unreal supporting this. Bodes well considering how popular the engine is.